Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

<<< A Waste of Time? >>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a sincere question....

I've read a bunch of these request threads, and posted to several of them as well.

It seems that many times the requestor asks for a certain type of domain, then gets DOZENS of replies offering HUNDREDS of names.

But RARELY do I see the original poster maintain his/her thread and offer replies to the offers. Yet the offers go on and on and on...!

So... has anyone ever SOLD a domain through this section? Or is it just a waste of time?

Maybe a new rule should be implemented: If the original poster does not repost every 3 days, the thread disappears.

I just find it a waste of time to post here, and get update emails, and come back, but rarely see the original poster replying to all the offers.

I could be completely wrong on this. If I am, I apologize!

Inquisitive,
WebCat

Upvote 0

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, occaisionaly some names do get bought/sold via these threads.

For the most part you are not wrong. Rarely, do Domains Wanted authors reply to their creations. Have no idea why, it would seem to be common courtesy to update your thread.

On the other hand, many replies to these threads are very frustrating for the author as well. People do seem to have a hard time following the authors instructions as to what they want and how they would like to be communicated with.

Even on the rare occasion that an author does reply to say the thread is "now closed", dozens of people still reply for months after. Here's a perfect example:

About halfway down the first page, the thread's author lets everyone know that he found his name and the thread is now closed. He lets us know again on the second page along with a few others. Lol, people are still offering names a few months later. http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21292

I also recently replied to a thread where not only did the author report back via post, he PM'ed me to thank me for my reply, but told me the name I offered wasn't quite right. How's that for courtesy! The member was matlok.

I think it is for the most part, a waste of time. But, you never know!

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Sharp!

I saw your post in the other thread in suggestions about this very same problem! Again, we are thinking on exactly the same track!

This is PROOF that great minds think alike! :cool:

Peace,
WebCat

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of potential problems, so any solution would have to take all cases into consideration:-

A) The original poster has found the name they wanted and would like to close the thread (but can't)
B) The original poster has not yet found the name they wanted, but the quality of responses (or the lack of responses) means that they're not actively tracking the thread any more
C) The people responding to the original poster are submitting - let's not mince words here - JUNK domains that have nothing to do with the original requirements, thus precipitating situation B)

Perhaps there needs to be more active policing of this forum, such that for example if the original poster specifies "Strictly .com domains only" then all posts offering .net/.us/.info etc. should be thrown out - and repeat offenders barred from posting follow-ups to this particular forum. Not sure how this would work in practice.

In other words, there is a need for a smaller number of more targeted/higher quality responses to a particular request, in order to encourage more transactions and to demonstrate the utility and viability of this forum.

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe they are just looking for ideas and want to find a name to reg and need help

who knows

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
There are a lot of potential problems, so any solution would have to take all cases into consideration:-

A) The original poster has found the name they wanted and would like to close the thread (but can't)
B) The original poster has not yet found the name they wanted, but the quality of responses (or the lack of responses) means that they're not actively tracking the thread any more
C) The people responding to the original poster are submitting - let's not mince words here - JUNK domains that have nothing to do with the original requirements, thus precipitating situation B)

Perhaps there needs to be more active policing of this forum, such that for example if the original poster specifies "Strictly .com domains only" then all posts offering .net/.us/.info etc. should be thrown out - and repeat offenders barred from posting follow-ups to this particular forum. Not sure how this would work in practice.

In other words, there is a need for a smaller number of more targeted/higher quality responses to a particular request, in order to encourage more transactions and to demonstrate the utility and viability of this forum.
Edwin! Well Said!

I have asked around, and many people tell me they just INGORE this section, because they think is kind of a joke. But it doesn't HAVE to be!

With just a little tweaking, it COULD be a great source of real sales! And isn't that why we are all here? :)

Peace,
WebCat

[edit: I just looked and there are threads dating older than 2 months, and some that haven't been posted to in more than 2 months! Jeez!]

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree...

Firstly, people who make threads should definitly reply & let epople know they have looked at the names posted & are either interested or not interested... further more, I find it very rude if people are asking for PM & they don't reply to the PM even if they are not interested.

I also agree on the 2-month old thread thing, u tell people & tell people but they keep on posting.... also get sick of people posting names that don't follow the guidelines of what the original poster wanted.

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a possible solution to this problem and created a thread detailing it.

Hope it's okay.

Cheers

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey KayDee!

How DARE your exercise your right of free speech and contribute positively to this important discussion! ;) ;) ;) (j/k)

But seriously, Thank you very much for your contribution!

But where is the thread? You did not post a link. I want to read it.

Take Care,
WebCat

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just moved this thread from "Domains Wanted" to "Suggestions and Feedback". Please continue your discussion, folks.

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
May have better chance of getting feedback from seller if you send the seller a PM or email (rather than just straight posting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom