Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

about hiring a lawyer to fight for domains etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After a few e-mails on a "generic" 4 letter acronym .net I was asked for a "figure below which I would not go".

I said $1800 and subsequently got a registered letter from a company's lawyers requiring I hand over the domain for $225 and sign a form that I will not register any more domains similar to the four letter acronym in question. They pointed out a few other names I had which they claimed were trademarks.

I argued that I had registered and was using the domain name in good faith and finally settled direct with the company for $1050.

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the domain have been sold at 1500$. Seems they were desperate. They didn't argue.just asked me to sign and send back some forms...i have a feeling this was more in the hand of the lawyer of that company and looking at his talk, he didn't give a damn about the price probably because it was a multinational fashion and clothes company...

The realisation on my part is that you need to understand the person you are dealing with while making these bargains.

thanks everyone for the discussion..
best,
DNA

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Potential problems with lawyers

Occasionally the feds go after the lawyers who front the mafia figures.
They take control of their trust accts, iolla, etc.
If your domain/funds are controlled by one of those shysters you may be in trouble

Achtung Mr Shyster: You know who you are

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So can someone provide some advice...if they say "is this domain for sale ? "...is an appropriate/safe response" No its not for sale, but if you are interested make an offer".

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear Wzhxvy,

when they write, they won't write that much only. You must understand the essence , desperation, trap etc after analysing their whole email. I don't know but i somehow understand the tone of their initial approach probably because I am a student of Neuroscience and Psychiatry and then move forward and this has worked for me, never forfeited a TM typo for free. Definitely, they weren't of very big players like google or msn.

I have received more than 10 TM letters by now...but I don't like somebody to declare either white or black for themselves from my case, important clue is to understand the grey part.

I cannot answer yr question because the whole context has to be understood.

good luck,
DNA

So can someone provide some advice...if they say "is this domain for sale ? "...is an appropriate/safe response" No its not for sale, but if you are interested make an offer".

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, but that doesn't answer my question.....if they are asking what's ur price? i must quote them the price...and the price i wanna quote is something less than price for hiring a lawyer.

:)

Hello:

A WIPO arbitration is going to be presented according to WIPO and UDRP rules. So, you don't need to have a Lawyer in France, especially if they are unfamiliar with UDRP.

The complaint is done in the language of the original domain registration, which is almost always English, so you can hire any number of Lawyers in USA to help you.

I can highly recommend Stevan Lieberman, and also John Berryhill who is a regular contributor here on DNF.

Best,

Steve

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I also recommend fellow DNF member Marc Randazza's legal services, he's a great guy as well. We are fortunate to have competent lawyers on our side in the domain industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom