Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

about scam of .eu domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pim

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with the above. The .eu sunrise period was bullshit.

spyspy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was really expecting that EURid would filter all TMs they are not older then 1 year or even 6 months. But this did not happen. Exactly this behaviour allowed people with money to abuse the sunrise period.

I hope someone does something against this.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe the owner of that domain should learn how to spell disaster

Daniel NIC

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keyworddomains.com said:
He knows how to spell it,
just in case you didn´t notice it yet, english isn´t the only language in the world ;-).

thanks Markus. Yes its the German word "desaster".
The most .eu applicants are German speaker (Germany an Austria) but the page will be translated in English and other languages soon. but it will keep its German domain http://www.eudomaindesaster.org

CU
Daniel

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm faced with the direct result of this Sunrise-mess.
I recently bought a generic .be-domain (Latin word) with the intention of developing it into a law portal.
One day after the sale was concluded, I received an email from a Belgian lawyer claiming he had a trademark on this domain. And indeed, it seemed he had filed a TM... 9 days before my acquisition via a fast track registration procedure.

I told him I wouldn't transfer the domain to him as I have plans (which I really have) for this domain. He told me he would sue me within 14 days, so I'm expecting a court order any second now.

Thing is, he has a TM but I tried to contact the former owner weeks before he filed his TM. I have a feeling he's just trying to abuse the Sunrise period and that's why he filed for a TM.

I agree with the fact that a thorough verification should take place and that all fake-TM-applications should be banned and even punished. This is abuse of intellectual property law.

This .EU-mess is making me sick and will cost me a bunch of money, just because someone is trying to exploit the procedure.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just because someone is trying to exploit the procedure

Survival of the fittest...

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
just because someone is trying to exploit the procedure

Survival of the fittest...

survival of those with the fewest morals

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Define "morals"...

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:

Define "morals"...

The best definition of 'right' i can think of for now is:
'that which maximises the amount of happiness in the universe (in the long run).' (*1)

Given that just about everyone is pretty annoyed about the way .eu has launched, and just a few people (the cheats) are happy about it, their activities are wrong by my definition because they have reduced the amount of happiness compared to what it would otherwise have been.

They have denied many other people the chance of the happiness of obtaining good domains, and I’m sure the amount of happiness they receive themselves will not come close to equalling what has been lost (*2) (For one thing, people who acquire riches by underhand means are probably less likely to be gratified by them. Plus there is the law of diminishing returns to consider – the life of someone who is already rich will be improved less by the receipt of more money than the life of someone who is poor).

And the benefits of capitalism, whereby apparently improving ones own welfare at the expense of others, might actually increase overall welfare in the long run, surely do not apply to this .eu sunrise situation.

(*1) However, the definition may need some work, because consider the following:
Suppose there is a god who can control time. He can maximise the amount of happiness in the universe by picking a five minute segment of time when the amount of happiness is at its peak, and looping that five minutes of time over and over again.
But somehow the idea of experiencing the same five minutes over and over again (even without realising what is happening), no matter how happy that five minutes is, doesn’t seem very desirable, at least to me.

(*2) Although this is not really the point. Am I justified in stealing your piece of cake if I believe I will enjoy it more than you will? No – that doesn’t increase happiness in the long run, because peoples level of security decreases if such thefts are commonplace.
If you believe that you will enjoy the cake more than I will, then if you ask nicely perhaps I will give it to you.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
USTrader said:
I'm faced with the direct result of this Sunrise-mess.
I recently bought a generic .be-domain (Latin word) with the intention of developing it into a law portal.
One day after the sale was concluded, I received an email from a Belgian lawyer claiming he had a trademark on this domain. And indeed, it seemed he had filed a TM... 9 days before my acquisition via a fast track registration procedure.

I told him I wouldn't transfer the domain to him as I have plans (which I really have) for this domain. He told me he would sue me within 14 days, so I'm expecting a court order any second now.

Thing is, he has a TM but I tried to contact the former owner weeks before he filed his TM. I have a feeling he's just trying to abuse the Sunrise period and that's why he filed for a TM.

I agree with the fact that a thorough verification should take place and that all fake-TM-applications should be banned and even punished. This is abuse of intellectual property law.

This .EU-mess is making me sick and will cost me a bunch of money, just because someone is trying to exploit the procedure.
Is it a generic name?

jimmy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TECK said:
Is it a generic name?

Yes TECK, it is a generic name: "I recently bought a generic .be-domain..."

@ USTrader, he is definitely trying to take advantage of the Sunrise period. It's a shame!

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jimmy said:
@ USTrader, he is definitely trying to take advantage of the Sunrise period. It's a shame!

[update]

The BeNeLux Trademark Office has -by preliminary decision- decided that the word for which this lawyer filed a TM was too generic. So they rejected his filing.
The final decision is in a couple of weeks, I hope they'll rest their case...

Please allow me to thank Mr. Berryhill who pointed me to a specialized Belgian lawyer who was really helpful.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear this. Sometimes... justice is done, the right way.

Malaysia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sad to hear this is happening..really unfair

xtremest

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All the system of TM is unfair. First come, first served. As always.

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just have a look at this list of official EURID appointed .EU registrars. In the past 1 to 2 weeks some 400 United States registrars have been added. A whole lot of them are in Bellevue, Vancouver, New York, Portland and some other states. They all all have the same telephone number.None have a link to a website.http://list.eurid.eu/registrars/ListRegistrars.htm?lang=en

HMMMMMMM I think our chances of getting a .EU name are diminishing more and more.

I think this needs to be questioned and if nessecary investigated.
But perhaps there is a very logical explanation to it all. If so I,d like to hear it.

I have sent the following e-mail to EURID

Dear sir/madam
It is with high concern that I observed that in the past 2 weeks suddenly at least 400 USA based registrars for .eu domains have been added to your official registrar list. What is also of major concern is that whole lists of them come from the same area and have the same telephone numbers and addresses. Also not one has a link to a site. What is happening here??? Are we individuals being conned here?? Are these legitimate registrars??? It looks like some character is setting himself up as a multitude of different registrars to enable himself to get as many .eu names for himself as possible. I get the feeling here is a big scam going on and I fear the small individual who wants to get a few names is going to be the dupe.

Ps. I have posted this on the dnforum voicing my concern.
I do hope I am wrong.
Please feel free to explain the situation there.
Regards
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom