Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

about scam of .eu domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoss

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.eu SUNRISE a real disaster :D

kiran

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .eu sunrise phases are actually a huge success.

The whole goal of these phases is to prevent domain hijacking: i.e. people regging Microsoft.eu, ibm.eu etc. (check: whois ‘lamborghini.eu’) to see this in process.

The fact that some companies and individuals registered trademarks to obtain generic domain names is just smart business practice. These people took the risk of investing money and some of them were lucky to come in first in a row. Don’t forget that many of them lost completely!

People who are complaining about EurId procedure don’t understand its goals and concept.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right. I will go now and register a trademark on sex just because I had some yesterday.

Daniel NIC

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Karin,
and I want car.eu because I drove one today ;-)

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pre-registered my first .eu domains back in early 2002, hoping one day (whenever they were to be released) to be lucky enough to get any of them. I was convinced that the sunrise period was a good idea to give those companies with "legal rights" the ease to get their domains.
What I did not expect with all precautions taken was that some people would try to abuse this system in a way using so called Trademarks.
There should have been a rule that TMs must have a qualifying time for example two years. It would have stopped those "I quickly get myself some cheap trademarks so I have the right to get all those pretty domains" tactics which seem to be blatantly unfair.
It was always going to be a lottery to get the domains you want, but this Trademark " idea? or scam?" does not give a level playingfield.

Daniel NIC

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
even without a cutoff-day, "EU rid" has rules to reject these "trademark"-Domains, because they are registered in "bad faith" ( EU Commission rules ). "bad faith" is obvious because of many trademarks in short time in many different topics and only by a few applicants. But "EU rid" doesn´t use these rules to reject, who knows why?

The rest of generic domain names will be taken by a few domaindealing or parking investors that signed in 500 .eu-Registrars in the last week for having a big showdown when Landrush starts.

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What a lovehoveleee world we live in yeah yeah yeah

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Think we will see some cool press releases on .EU within the years, people getting sued here and there for scamming.

About the landrush, just try, do it legit, im sure ill get some cool ones.

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
kiran said:
The .eu sunrise phases are actually a huge success.

The whole goal of these phases is to prevent domain hijacking: i.e. people regging Microsoft.eu, ibm.eu etc. (check: whois ‘lamborghini.eu’) to see this in process.

People who are complaining about EurId procedure don’t understand its goals and concept.

I think we do underestand eurid’s goals and concepts. Yes it’s goal was to prevent domain hijacking, and they have indeed succeeded somewhat in that aim. Only somewhat, because the 5000+ fake trademarks in sunrise 1 prevented some legitimiate business from registering domains in sunrise 2.

We are complaining because that was their only goal, and it seems they couldn’t care less about a fair distribution of generic domains.

I refuse to spend thousands of euros on trademarks I don’t really need to have a chance of registering domains, while at the same time flouting the intended purpose of the sunrise (which was to protect companies, not get domains for people with fake trademarks).
Yet that is what I would have needed to do to have a chance of registering good domains.

kiran said:
The fact that some companies and individuals registered trademarks to obtain generic domain names is just smart business practice.

There is nothing smart about it. Those were simply the people whose lower ethical standards allowed them to take that course of action.

Daniel NIC

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wohl said:
There is nothing smart about it. Those were simply the people whose lower ethical standards allowed them to take that course of action.

thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom