Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Affiliate Programs Adsense - Revenue down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/goo020705.cfm

Google Adwords Attacked, Reports Say
February 7, 2005 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Reports released last week by security researchers identified a means of shutting down or dramatically impacting the performance of Google's Adwords advertising service by artificially generating large amounts of traffic that cause click-through percentage rates to drop.

A network of bots could be used by an attacker to flood a keyword with fake clicks, causing Adwords to automatically disable campaigns using that keyword, making it possible for a partner working with that attacker to grab traffic from that keyword at a reduced cost.

Clickrisk, the company that identified the technique, says the attacks would be difficult to prevent because they take advantage of a feature of Adwords' design, rather than a flaw.

Since the release of the report last week, several instances of keyword hijacking have been reported through a variety of online sources, including one targeting the keywords "Web Hosting," a very popular keyword that has seen high bids of as much as $7.70 in the last month.

Clickrisk says it expects the technique could be widely exploited, and advises Adwords advertisers to monitor their accounts regularly in the hopes of identifying any abnormal activity.

CrazyGuy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Alex, but fastclick have the same problem as most alternatives to Adsense - they require you to have each URL approved individually, and may even require different code to be generated for each. (but please correct me if I'm wrong - this is based on reading their docs, not having an account)

The other "contextual" ad agencies I've looked at are often worse - they require you to supply keywords up front and have them approved.

If you're looking to monetize any reasonable size portfolio of domains, especially with some flux, this is too labour intensive (for me anyway).

I'm talking to one right now that shows some promise - contextual based on in-page factors and look like they're willing to work with domain lists but not require pre-approval up front etc. Not sure at the moment how much of this is non-standard for them or open to anyone, will post back once I know more.

xalex

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The keyword here is volume. If you can mange to get few thousand uniq/day, some advertiser might give you customized option. Other than that AdSense does not have any competition for right now.

Also try different ad format for heavy traffic sites. One size does not fit all.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've now noticed lower price clicks.

FusionX

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ouch ... so thats why some of my good conversion credit-card keywords were just disabled in my adwords account.

Now what is the recourse? Google better do something about it or else they are losing revenue.

CrazyGuy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FusionX said:
Ouch ... so thats why some of my good conversion credit-card keywords were just disabled in my adwords account.

Are you referring to my "one destination URL" info above?

That won't have disabled ads in your account, it's only factored in at the display point. Highest bid ad gets displayed in position #1, then each position following gets assessed and displayed - unless destination URL has already been used on this ad unit/page in which case it gets passed over.

Ah, I just realised .... if that process results in your ads not being displayed/clicked, they get disabled after a while don't they? Ignore me :emba:

FusionX said:
Now what is the recourse? Google better do something about it or else they are losing revenue.

I don't know if the auto AdWords police check for redirects (I suspect not) so you could try bouncing the ads off a redirect script - maybe even turn it to your advantage by putting it on a great domain, the name of which would be displayed on the ad.

Re Google revenue, yes I'm sure it's costing them money, but they are putting "user experience" higher. In the long run, there's an argument that says if AdWords/AdSense gets devalued in the consumers' eyes by having lots of repetition then all our clicks and revenue would go down anyway.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a stale thread, but does anyone else experience the rollercoaster ride of AdSense?

I believe we're not meant to discuss AdSense revenue publicly, so I'll talk percentages:

For example, one of my 'channels' did 100% yesterday, usually averages about 60%, but today I'll be lucky to hit 10%

For such a major player, Google seems to fluctuate wildly, yet the smaller players are very consistent - what's the deal?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bad thing about Adsense is they pay you what they want to pay you. Judging by their recent financials, their net revenue rising disportionately to their gross revenue, showed Google decided to take more of the pie. I have a specific site where the URL is the keyword. For a long time I was earning 9 cents/click. Last month it dropped to 1.8 cents/click. Using Google's advertiser tool showed it would cost 23 cent/click for the keyword.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$0.018?! I thought minimum payout was $0.05?

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, Google is robbing us these days and seems that trend is accelerating. Wish we have AdSense alternative soon!

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sergey & Larry will prove to be worse than Gates ever was.

ToBad

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My swedish travel sites making 55% less this month, it realy suck. If it soon not will be better I will take adsense of my sites and only offer payed bannerspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom