Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

advice needed:How would you invest $10000 into domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm interested in hearing your opinions on how to invest $10000 into domains. I never dealt with such amounts of money before and I'd like to evaluate all options before I start. I'm not looking for specific offers or sales (please don't send PMs) - I'm just wondering how would you spend the money.

Domain Days 2024

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very carefully.. take your time learning.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with LLL/NNN .com/.net

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i would spend it all to learn from my mistakes :second:

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with LLL/NNN .com/.net

how much are LLL/NNN .com/.net worth in the market these days? what im wondering about is whether i should invest into generics or traffic domains... also how to spread the investment, i.e. buy few expensive domains or more cheap ones

ThisDot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just like any portfolio, spread it around. Cover all those bases... A few big names and several smaller ones. Some generic, some LLL/NNN and some link traffic names. As they say... don't put all your eggs in one basket.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would buy income earners, not TM, both parked and web-sites, then reinvest the money.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
how much are LLL/NNN .com/.net worth in the market these days?

as per this question, i would still get back to my previous advise

you wont get generics for 10000, that would make you more then 7% APR these days

and crap are still available for registration

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm interested in hearing your opinions on how to invest $10000 into domains. I never dealt with such amounts of money before and I'd like to evaluate all options before I start. I'm not looking for specific offers or sales (please don't send PMs) - I'm just wondering how would you spend the money.

diversify

this is just like the stock market.

high risk investments pay higher dividends

low risk pay low dividends

the exceptions would be LLL or NNN domains as they have almost doubled in value each year for the last 4 years.
of course .com percentage is much higher

i would never buy a domain, based on link traffic however

only type-in, rather it be risky or generic

i also would not invest heavily in new extensions, unless i already have income from domains to support those investments.

if it's NOT your money you're spending, then i would say go with LLL or NNN / one to 4 word generics/ and generic typo's with revenue.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just like any portfolio, spread it around. Cover all those bases... A few big names and several smaller ones. Some generic, some LLL/NNN and some link traffic names. As they say... don't put all your eggs in one basket.

He got only 10k. Not that much to buy many quality names.

What is your expectations of return? How much money do you want to make,
and during what preiod of time? Are you interested to develop any of the domain names?

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For 10K...
You can not do much with generic or LLL/NNN names.
So, that's out of the equation.
10K isn't much if you don't pay attention and it will be gone real fast.

If you are new to domain, I suggest buy revenue domains.
But, this depend on what you want from this business.

Do you want residual income or investment?
residual income and investment?
Do you want solid revenue or risky but high revenue return?

As for investments...
Do you want solid investments or high return investments?

You best action plan will come only after you decide what you want from this business.

Find one or two respected senior members.
Attach yourself to them, bribe, send flower, send wine, send cigar or just BEG :-D
Ask their opinions when you are buying domains until you are comfortable to decide yourself.

Sonny

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

That's a catch-22 of a question. You will know when you are ready. At some point you will have enough knowledge in a particular area that you will be able to see a bargain and buy it immediately.

Just study the types of names you are passionate about and then pull the trigger when you are ready. If you aren't generating offers and sales from your current names then you should probably wait a little while.

Don't lose your advantage (the 10K) by being in a hurry to put it to use because you will likely end up getting the worst of the deal by encountering someone with a lot more knowledge about the name(s) you are interested in.

Make sure that you have the upper hand before you make a large purchase.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in any case, i wish I had 10k when I was starting :). On the other hand prices were much cheaper. So, I guess it equals to 1k 9 years ago in domain business.

...But back then registration fees were very high

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is your expectations of return? How much money do you want to make,
and during what preiod of time? Are you interested to develop any of the domain names?

Trust the guy who asks questions and gathers information before giving advice.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am asking questions because I made many mistakes. One of them for example was to invest a lot of money into .ca landrush. i got good names from it including Provider.ca, developer.ca, payment.ca etc. i made thousands on these but I was sitting too long. I could invest into other tlds
and actually make more. (I still own provider.ca). I advice not to invest in new tlds a lot. There is no need for example to buy .mobi at this point. If it will become popular you will be able to get pretty good generic mobis for $500 before they shoot to the roof. I find it easier now to deal with less names of a good quality than many names of questionable value. This was my other mistake. I had too many domain names. At this point I realize that there is no need to own thousands of names to be successful in that business.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea for you -- a niche that I am making money in for an initial investment of about $2000:

1. Learn about the .uk drop cycle
2. Become a member and TAG holder at Nominet: www.nominet.org.uk
3. Get an automaton/DAC account at www.rtl.co.uk
4. Research dropping names at www.deleting.co.uk
5. Further research same at OT/Google and www.companieshouse.gov.uk
6. Further research same at www.archive.org
7. Go for all generics
8. Caught domains only cost you $11 for two years
9. Etc.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At this point I realize that there is no need to own thousands of names to be successful in that business.

I was thinking about the same thing, however, I just don't yet feel comfortable with putting all of this money into 2-3 names. so far I havent been trading much, I just been regging a lot of traffic domains which are bringing me monthly revenue. i wasnt really planning to sell my traffic domains simply because id feel much better waking up for the next few years knowing that every day im getting money while eating my breakfast or going for a walk. however, now i need to reorganize my thinking and find a way to invest additional money. then again not so long ago there was another thread about the recent standstill in domain trade which makes me think twice before doing anything. id be perfectly fine with regging new traffic domains, just that its impossible to find so many of them so fast

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
umm Why dont you invest this money slowly not just going there is 10k iwant these these and these domains and spend it all at once i would suggest buy like 5 to 10 good names if they are not so good develop them a bit increaseing their value and then sell them at least this is what i would do.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is your main objective to acquire quality assets (domains) that will appreciate in value? If so, LLL .com's and other well-priced non-TM dot com domain names.

If you objective is to create a strong revenue stream... non-trademark .coms with revenue are going to cost much more than $10k, I would personally focus the money on well priced and high quality website for sale with good growth potential.

It will depend on who's money you are spending and what you are looking to get out of it in what time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom