Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Advice on negotiating. I'm losing my mind with a

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
...foreign domain owner. I know he's interested in selling... he has absolutely no foreseeable reason to hang on to the name. The Archive shows he's had a for sale page before. Google shows he owns a handful of craptacular names he's also trying to sell.

Now he says the name's not for sale. I know he has a price. He was just put off by my initial low ball offer and is avoiding stating what price he wants.

Any ideas on how to respond?

I feel silly.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by O.C.
... He was just put off by my initial low ball offer ...
That's the reason I NEVER render a mark-up (or mark-down in this case) that is significantly distant from my bottom/ceiling price. How are you going to justify your final price when it is say something like 10 times your initial offer. Negotiation doesn't mean lying. There needs to be a buffer of at least 5% in order to CLOSE the deal when it's time, but thinking that you may get more or leave yourself more space for bargaining by starting off with an unreasonably high/low price is not wise and only works with some small-time buyers/sellers. Just my two cents.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally get very offended at initial lowball offers.

I know that this is probably not the most mature business attitude, and definitely not the most profitable, but if someone really low balls me, I make a mental note never to sell to them regardless of what they offer next. Even if it is way more than what I initially wanted. But, I guess if they were really apologetic and made a generous offer, I could get past it.

Anyway, good luck with making the sale happen.

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about it like that.

I don't have much experience at this since I've only been on the buying side of names twice... each time I didn't make an offer up front. I figured this guy would be overjoyed to get rid of this seemingly awful name.

I messed up. Where do I go from here, if anywhere?

(Edit: This would've helped.)

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could also be assuming wrong. Maybe he does have a use for it now. Maybe he is watching this thread right now.

If he doesn't respond, perhaps, especially if the name really is so awful, you could find a better name, possibly at registrar cost?

Make him your best offer. If he refuses maybe consider a different name.

Anyway, however you do it, gl on getting it or a better name.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried to buy a 3 letter .us off of someone and couldn't get them to give me any sort of price. I know this guy hasn't got any offers on it because for one its a three letter .us and two theres nothing all that special about it except to me.

I was willing to pay alot more than its worth at the time but now I wouldn't give him reg fee for it because he wouldn't negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom