Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Afternic coming through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never put much faith in Afternic in the past. One domains sold at auction and was never paid. One domain offer was accepted and never paid. In both cases, I contacted Afternic and never received a response to my inquiries.

Because of this, I never gave them a second thought. Names I had loaded up were listed on Afternic and I never added any more.

This was perhaps 2-3 years ago.

In the past 19 days, I have had 2 very nice and unexpected domain sales. In the past month, I have had perhaps 10 inquiries generated from names listed at Afternic. Just like I can not explain what went on 2-3 years ago, I can not explain what is going on now with Afternic. Ultimately, this led to me loading up all my names to the Afternic network.

Whatever is going on, I like it.

Please note: I am not a member of any affiliate or marketing entity of or for Afternic.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think sales are just up all around. I've had more Afternic/Buydomains sales and inquiries this year than ever (have been listing with them since 2005). It could also be because they expanded their distribution network (I don't use the expanded option though - 20% commission is too much). But up all around in other places as well, including email and lander inquiries, loving 2011. :)

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't stand afternic anymore...most offers (actually inquiries) I was getting through afternic were (IMO) phony fishing messages trying to get me to put a BIN on my names. I too have had a few hundred names there which I put up about 4 years ago...I get a few sales there, but the commission is too high and most of the time they are nothing but a time waste.

I always got this "we have someone interested" type bs without an actual number being presented...they try to get me to set a BIN. I suspect some shadyness with that.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone has a different experience. Never had an issue with Afternic. They always tell me numbers when they say someone is interested..but all of my names are set at fixed prices. Most people don't like making blind offers, I don't think it's shady.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are selling something, what is so strange about having a buy it now price? Sure, set a minimum offer amount so that a potential buyer can get the ball rolling, but you should be able to counter with a price, or just push it to auction.

I was in my Afternic account today editing some names, and found the interface much easier to use than before.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Also, Afternic lists buy prices on many of their own domains.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always got this "we have someone interested" type bs without an actual number being presented...they try to get me to set a BIN. I suspect some shadyness with that.
I get those as well. But most of mine are coming from an account exec and one resulted in a low xxxx sale.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get those as well. But most of mine are coming from an account exec and one resulted in a low xxxx sale.
As a test...after the name is transferred - you should try to find out what the buyer actually paid...with this type of a undisclosed/nontransparent process - the possibility of the broker gaming the system is possible.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I guess everyone has a different experience. Never had an issue with Afternic. They always tell me numbers when they say someone is interested..but all of my names are set at fixed prices. Most people don't like making blind offers, I don't think it's shady.
Huh? On these services - that is how the negotiation process starts...someone interested in a domain submits an offer...then you respond to an offer...Afternic seems to keep the initial offer to themselves and negotiates with you...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The broker may be gaming the system...that is always a possibility.

But, I was happy with the one sale that was brokered (low traffic, low conversion name) and the one in escrow at present is direct contact and negotiations with the buyer.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huh? On these services - that is how the negotiation process starts...someone interested in a domain submits an offer...then you respond to an offer...Afternic seems to keep the initial offer to themselves and negotiates with you...

My domains at Afternic are set at fixed prices, so the buyers can't make an offer on the page, they have to contact Afternic or send me a message through the system or contact me through email if they want to make an offer lower than what I have set. My account exec has always told me the buyers specific offer. Never had the situation you're referring to. Maybe because I have prices set.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The job of a broker is to purchase the name at the best possible prices.

I have no doubt the broker gives the buyer a maximum amount to spend.

If that amount is $1500 and the broker broker's the deal at $1250, then that extra $250 is just icing on the cake if he tells the buyer he got it for $1500.00

Is it ethical? No. But give me a break...we are part of the most unethical bunch of assholes on earth with billions of dollars trading hands.

I do not know of any service that requires the broker to reveal the offer/buy difference to any party.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real Estate
Even they do not have to actually reveal how much the buyer was willing to go before the offer was accepted.

That is why there is a buyer's agent, a seller's agent, and a dual agent.

No one is compelled to disclose how much someone was willing to pay. The selling price is the agreed upon price.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talking about unethical assholes, I just saw the movie/documentary Inside Job on how the 2008 financial crisis started. Investment bankers at Goldman, Bearn Stearns, Morgan Stanley, etc, much sleazier people than I thought they were. People working in high places for the Fed/government are mostly all ex-bankers from the very same firms they are supposed to be overseeing, or when they leave government they go back to work for the major banks. Talk about conflict of interest, I'm surprised the public just takes it!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talking about unethical assholes, I just saw the movie/documentary Inside Job on how the 2008 financial crisis started. Investment bankers at Goldman, Bearn Stearns, Morgan Stanley, etc, much sleazier people than I thought they were. People working in high places for the Fed/government are mostly all ex-bankers from the very same firms they are supposed to be overseeing, or when they leave government they go back to work for the major banks. Talk about conflict of interest, I'm surprised the public just takes it!
Yup, pretty eye opening. And not one person on the inside of the biggest financial collapse in history has been tried, prosecuted, or convicted.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like AfterNIC more if they opened their API up to domainers with less than 10k domains, as it makes for updating prices a nightmare.

H

H2FC

No one is compelled to disclose how much someone was willing to pay.
Doc...if that "no one" is representing the seller he must tell that seller what the buyer is actually willing to pay if he has that information.

That's the way it works in real estate sales here in Florida.

And the same goes for the seller's agent. Fiduciary relationship laws require agents to be perfectly honest with their clients.

Hopefully laws like this will one day apply to internet domains as well.

hughesey

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that they are starting to come through for you. Might consider listing stuff there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom