Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Age range of posters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I am 19.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My guess is 16-75

-=DCG=-

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL pretty safe guess ;-)

parabola

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great question. I've been thinking about that lately as I seem to be running into more and more teenagers doing business online. Of course, the "physical or mental" component is always there and age often doesn't matter when it comes to level of maturity.

However, it would be helpful to know before I end up working through some bizarre deal with an unknown person who turns out to be 13! (Not that I have any personal experience with that . . . :worried: )

Tom

NETGEEK

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
parabola said:
Great question. I've been thinking about that lately as I seem to be running into more and more teenagers doing business online. Of course, the "physical or mental" component is always there and age often doesn't matter when it comes to level of maturity.

However, it would be helpful to know before I end up working through some bizarre deal with an unknown person who turns out to be 13! (Not that I have any personal experience with that . . . :worried: )

Tom

All joking aside, I do see your point Tom. :approve:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
16 year old right here....

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm actually mid 20's now and have been working online for around 3 or 4 years now. When i was 15 though i ran a computer shop (Started at weekends) and after leaving school at 16 i opened full time. After opening new accounts with trade suppliers i managed to secure £20,000 ($38,000) of credit on the basis of my previous trading history. Now i'm sure if they knew that i was 16 years old with no captial then things would have been different.
Its actually quite ironic though that at 16 i could bluff my way through things and now i'm mid 20's my bank manager, tax man and more importantly, wife to be, catches me out every time......

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
parabola said:
... it would be helpful to know before I end up working through some bizarre deal with an unknown person who turns out to be 13! (Not that I have any personal experience with that . . . :worried: )
It's okay for example to strike a deal for say sub-hundred domain sale via PayPal. Kids are allowed to buy popsicles, right? But personally, I would not even WORK with non-adults. And mind you that entering into any contractual agreement with a child only puts you (as an adult) into a disadvantageous situation: the laws always protect the minors.

parabola

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
... And mind you that entering into any contractual agreement with a child only puts you (as an adult) into a disadvantageous situation: the laws always protect the minors.
That's the kicker right there. It's amazing what you might be willing to buy and sell with Mom or Dad's credit card! Unfortunately, if you find out you're dealing with a minor, it's often after the fact and too late to do anything about it.

I'm thinking about posting an upfront disclaimer from now on about only doing business with persons who are of legal age. At the very least, perhaps that will provide some shred of legal protection. Anyone else have ideas or experience in protecting yourself from unknowing transactions with minors?

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what is the official age to register a domain?

i cannot find the legal age to be allowed to own a domain name. this is probably because of national/state variations. enom's own disclaimer:

20. Infancy:

You attest that you are of legal age to enter into this Agreement.

parabola

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's very direct. Thanks, HD. I'll use it.

Is there a legal age for sellling domain names? Do such sales imply that the seller is of legal age to conduct the transaction?

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question:

What are you so worried about dealing with Minors for?

Please clarify.

You buy a name from a minor, he doesn't deliver.
That's fraud.

No matter what age.

P.S. I'm a minor (17) and I think I've done a lot more business in domains than most have?

Never any problems or issues. (because of my age)

Thanks,
- Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom