Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Agree / Disagree buttons

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, Disagree %100

I like the way NP has integrated the like / agree icons into a button. Once someone agrees with a post, other people can click on agree instead of the fly-out menu on the lower right.

1636462980034.png

No idea what the counter is supposed to accomplish.

Upvote 0
Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any possibility of getting an agree disagree buttons?
We could surely implement an agree/disagree button, but likely to keep the hard press button (as seen on Facebook) to interact with the post, at least on mobile. Too many items in that bar could quickly clutter it to where something has to be fly out, be it the left (edit, hide, report) to the right (reaction, quote, reply).

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We could surely implement an agree/disagree button, but likely to keep the hard press button (as seen on Facebook) to interact with the post, at least on mobile.

Too many items in that bar could quickly clutter it to where something has to be fly out, be it the left (edit, hide, report) to the right (reaction, quote, reply).
Agree.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Easy to do within the current system

Use the Emoticons behind like, change the graphics and adjust the points up or down as needed.

Will be doing that on one of my new boards.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
The current emoticons already work as (like) agree or (angry) disagree and other emotions, it would be more good that we engage more with each other in different topics and to not be afraid to put a reaction, because we give our precious time and a reaction cost nothing.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only way to currently disagree with a post without writing a response is to use an angry "emoticon". Sometimes you just want to disagree, not express anger or joy. Not every post needs a written response.

Use what every you want, thumbs up, thumbs down, agree, disagree. In my opinion, "like and dislike" still infer an emotional response.

"emoting" isn't necessary and mostly unwanted, imo.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
Definitely easy to do, but don't want to rush this as the decision will probably set precedence for our next 20 years online (20th Anniversary this month!).
Wow that is quite the milestone, especially for the times! A month late, but congratulations.
Agree, Disagree %100

I like the way NP has integrated the like / agree icons into a button. Once someone agrees with a post, other people can click on agree instead of the fly-out menu on the lower right.

View attachment 5668

No idea what the counter is supposed to accomplish.
What is NP?

A "disagree" button, that's interesting. I "agree", brings an option for a post to be quickly critiqued without having to reply. Oh actually, I just noticed you can click different emojis to convey if you hover over the "Like".. isn't that the same thing?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow that is quite the milestone, especially for the times! A month late, but congratulations.

What is NP?
Namepros

A "disagree" button, that's interesting. I "agree", brings an option for a post to be quickly critiqued without having to reply. Oh actually, I just noticed you can click different emojis to convey if you hover over the "Like".. isn't that the same thing?
Not really. Disagreeing isn't equal to a sad or frowning emoji. It's just a different opinion.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not really. Disagreeing isn't equal to a sad or frowning emoji. It's just a different opinion.
Could we simply add "disagree" while "like" implies both liking the post and agreeing with it, or would we need separate emoticons for all three?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I certainly “agree” that you can both disagree and like a post but I’m not sure it works in reverse (agree and dislike a post )

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I certainly “agree” that you can both disagree and like a post but I’m not sure it works in reverse (agree and dislike a post )
That would have to break the reactions apart and allow for giving more than 1 reaction per post, which isn't necessarily impossible, and would align it more so with Discord allowing you to react to a post in more than 1 way.

The quicker route would be adding a "disagree" button and using the like for both liking/agreeing with the post.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
You better worry more of user interaction on this forum rather than hang over agree or disagree buttons.
Also creating another clone of NP forum will not give you more control over us, I come here less cause Mods entertain bots and spammy users and there are no discussions in most of my topics.
You better fix that.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No harm in discussing any site regarded topics including participation on non participation in your topics.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Also creating another clone of NP forum

I agree with that, NP forums are overly complicated in my opinion and sometimes there is a lot to be said for simplicity.

I recently put in new programs to interact with my clients for two different businesses. For one I picked a complex program and for the other I picked a basic program.

Even though the basic program is missing some functions I found ways to work around that and much prefer it over the alternate system that uses complex menus in menus. I am seriously considering dumping the more complex program and switching to the simpler one for my second system.

As things are getting more complex I am finding myself seeking out simple and quite honestly I no longer have the time to weed through complex menu structures trying to figure things out.

Simple is best, if you want a disagree just add it as a static button. For all my boards I specifically only put in like buttons, its simple and never starts any wars. As soon as you put dislike (and disagree) it is bound to start some heated exchanges. I guess that is good because controversy creates content but it also leads to a lot of people quitting which is something you see quite a lot on np.

Sorry about the long post guys...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You better worry more of user interaction on this forum rather than hang over agree or disagree buttons.
Engaging with the community on how it should be for them to enjoy it more is user interaction.
Also creating another clone of NP forum will not give you more control over us
To be fair, DNF was the first on Xenforo 2.0 and we haven't deviated far from how the core appearance looks like. We'd likely still use the XF 2 pop out menu — as they will support that — and either add the ability to react more than once (like Discord) or to leave a disagree reaction on a post.
I come here less cause Mods entertain bots and spammy users and there are no discussions in most of my topics.
As a member, we'd value you reporting those posts so that we can take care of them as well as you creating the content you want to talk about to get input from industry leaders, both of which would help you and the community.

As far as spam goes, did you know you can hide individual posts to never see again? That's one of the cool features we added to DNF. So report the content for us to handle, and in the meantime, hide the post so it doesn't bother you anymore! :)

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also creating another clone of NP forum will not give you more control over us, I come here less cause Mods entertain bots and spammy users and there are no discussions in most of my topics.
You better fix that.

Nobody is talking about cloning anything, we are discussing the user interface to make interaction a little better.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom