Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Am I being scammed by Godaddy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just won an aucion on TDNAM for $10
When I went to pay, I was being charged $19.24
What am I missing?
Is Godaddy really charging me double the amount I bid?
Sounds like something eBay would do.
Is this a 1 year reg fee or something?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a one year reg fee added on. They alert you somewhere, I'm not sure where I read it. But yes, it's for that.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, cheap skate! ;)

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and now I can't use any coupon codes ? :upset:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is where it gets really fun.

You won a domain name at auction.

You pay full price for the renewal of the domain name.

In about 2 weeks time, you will have the domain placed into your GoDaddy account.

When you do get it into your account, look at the expiration date of the domain name.

We'll see ya' back here asking the same question in about 2 weeks. :help:

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a bit like the enom bids where they add on the registration fee too, but at least enom.com make it a bit clearer that they do this.

The reduced registration period is similar to the Snapnames expired names, I believe. Both keep the original renewal date so you get something like 10 months of use for the first registration fee. (I guess this works out at around US$1.50 worth of use per domain for the godaddy names.)

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This whole thing of ICANN letting registrars take ownership of domains that we search for and others have developed is absurd. They are owed no money and should NOT be able to sell expired domains, sometimes for a lot more than $10.

As to TDNAM, they do mention this fee in a way that is noticable enough that I caught it plus their registation fee is $8.95 rather than the $29.95 that ENOM charges plus at most registrars, you will have to pay a minimum of $60 for most expired domains. It is true that your registation will be the date that the domain expired rather than the date that it is awarded. I don't believe that that is a unique situation.

This whole system sucks but that is the way it is with ICANN run only by the business part of the internet community. Once upon a time half of their board was elected from general internet users but they quashed that years ago giving registrars an absolutely amazing money generation system.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This whole thing of ICANN letting registrars take ownership of domains that we search for and others have developed is absurd.
You entire assessment of this issue gets an A+ on my grading scale! :cheers:

Terminator

RR Media
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once registrars learned how lucrative domain reselling was, they all jumped in for a piece of the action, and are devising new ways to get a bigger slice of the pie....Its going to get worse for us domainers before it gets better.

I'd hate to be a newbie!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom