Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Am I obliged to sell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
when someone posts SOLD but dont have the funds? Like they want to Buy Now but Pay later?

Mike

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike Good to see you around.

You can give him a time deadline to fill or kill.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice to be here for the most part lol

Thanks,

Mike

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tippy said:
when someone posts SOLD but dont have the funds? Like they want to Buy Now but Pay later?

Mike
Some sellers post long terms & conditions, like its an ebay sale, including how soon they expect to be paid. Nice and clear.

On the other extreme, I've seen some sellers rag on the buyer if they haven't had a PM response in 2 hours. And don't get me started on the various LONG posts about offer vs. agree to buy.

I feel (My opinion) this ain't ebay. This is a paid forum with moderators and it should be a place where your word is your bond. If you post sold, you should have Paypal open in another window, and the funds in hand. Complete the deal, or get out of the way, cause the next person might want the DN or site. And, it is a business or hobby, something you'll be doing for more than today. If you don't have the funds, don't post SOLD. You'll have the funds another day, and that's the day you post SOLD.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agree......if they post sold, then they should have the money!

however,the demand for the domain and whois the buyer,could determine your willingness to exercise patience!

for a recongnized member of the "domaining community", I would give 24-48hrs.
unless otherwise explained via pm!

if that person made an extremely generous offer.......then I would extend the time period.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I tend to handle purchases that way, once I post sold and receive payment instructions from the seller, the funds are sent within minutes.

Mike

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I buy I expect to pay that day or as soon as I get the paypal info from the seller and I expect the same when I sell.
I sold a name in late October at my site and the buyer asked if he could give me a deposit of 10% and pay me the balance in a couple of weeks. Well it turned into a month and when he asked me if he could make paymenst over a six month period I added in another 15% carrying charge. Maybe you can work something like that out with the buyer. It is definitely fair.

Good luck.

John

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Darn, how can you expect to both be online at the time of the sold post?
This is about me I expect, waited all week on girlchat.net with the only offer,
bin went up, posted sold to claim the name, on sunday tippy didn't give me
until monday to get to the bank, he needed $35 for a debt on a Sunday.

Banks are open now, only 20 hours after he offered the name a second time
and said the name was mine. What's more I have 300 lady traffic typo and
galshop.com to capitalise, hope it fizzes.

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If a domain name is posted sold they should have the monies ready to pay... If the person who posts sold needs time he should pm the person with his plans and payment options. If the person post sold and he has no money It's not fair to the other domaineer's who might have bought the name and had the money ready. There is option's, Don't take them away from people who wanted that domain name. And saw sold when in fact you don't plan to pay until a later date...

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well domains are handled fast, in normal business I'd have ownership
of the name once agreed and I was ready for the transaction. If
Paypal goes down and you have an agreement for sex.com for $1,000
are you going to mind it going back on offer for cash?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are maybe 2 aspects here:

1) Someone posts sold and doesn't have the money to pay = no obligation to sell.

2) Someone posts sold and maybe Paypal is down under maintenance or a transfer of funds is necessary = maybe cut some slack for a known fellow domainer.

In the finale the seller has the right to decline a sale if the buyer does not have the funds to perform a reasonable transaction, say within 24 hours. In all cases an explanation by PM will surely prevent any misunderstandings.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I guess we have to go by 24/7 banking, I don't consider
it not having money or having plans to pay, most any business transaction
would allow time for banks to be open. Just bad timing if the BIN was posted a
few hours earlier I'd have rushed down to the bank and had the CC charged
up before Tippy got back to me. Not tryna push the issue just noticed the
thread here, worth a comment.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my PM, if I could have waited I would have, but I couldnt unfortunately... forgive me for being broke at the time and needing the $...

Mike

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tippy said:
... Details of an actual deal not going as expected...
Mike
For the record, my answer was about a generic situation, and my opinion only. I was not commenting on the current deal between Bionic and Tippy, and have not chosen sides on this issue.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was speaking in general as well when I first made this thread, sure the GC deal was the reason for my thread but I didnt mention any names and had not planned to niether seeing as I didnt really see a need to.

I have no hard feelings towards Bionic or anyone else for that matter :)

Mike

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is a good topic for discussion!

as it illustrates the need for "ethics" in this business!

this is the key to our success or failure.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tippy said:
I have no hard feelings towards Bionic or anyone else for that matter :)

Mike

Thanks, I'm putting it down to fate, Mike was professional throughout
and explained what was happening. Just incompatible sales terms I guess. :eek:k:

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This topic lends itself to another question: When posting a [single-forum] sale, should the seller post their PayPal info, so a buyer can post SOLD, verify post was not superceded at last second (it happens) then pay immediately following -- thus avoiding the inherent delay between initial post, seller's reply with PayPal info, and subsequent purchase? By habit (and example) I always avoid posting my PayPal info publicly for security / harvester reasons, and reply via PM with this information. But this only seems to slow the process down.

The reason I ask this is simply this: If someone truly has "money in hand" then the only way to truly know is if they complete the deal. If it is impossible to consumate the deal (due to the lack of complete payment information), then you cannot fault someone for taking several days to pay (in the event they post, then leave on a trip, etc.).

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FLe8 said:
This topic lends itself to another question: When posting a [single-forum] sale, should the seller post their PayPal info, so a buyer can post SOLD, verify post was not superceded at last second (it happens) then pay immediately following -- thus avoiding the inherent delay between initial post, seller's reply with PayPal info, and subsequent purchase? By habit (and example) I always avoid posting my PayPal info publicly for security / harvester reasons, and reply via PM with this information. But this only seems to slow the process down.

The reason I ask this is simply this: If someone truly has "money in hand" then the only way to truly know is if they complete the deal. If it is impossible to consumate the deal (due to the lack of complete payment information), then you cannot fault someone for taking several days to pay (in the event they post, then leave on a trip, etc.).

Personally I do not publicly post my Paypal info.
IMO a sale is not made until both parties agree, ("Hi xxxxxx.net sold - please PM your Paypal address and Registrar details" - PM follows from seller, "Thanks, Paypal is xxxxxx @ xxxxxx.org - name is at Enom").
Also even when posting "sold" it is possible a sale may already have been made by PM then you would have to send a PM asking for the return of your payment - and someone is going to lose the Paypal charge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom