Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Amazon creates new search engine A9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
To be honest I see no reason why they should / will change to AmazonSearch.com, A9.com is a far more brandable than AmazonSearch.com. Who’s going to bother typing AmazonSearch.com? Sure, it will get a few type ins, but if people have to type that many letters in they’ll just go to Google instead. They’ll probably use AmazonSearch.com as a supporting domain, to point back at A9.com.

Obviously the best domain for their SE would be AS.com ‘Amazon Search’ but A9.com is not a bad alternative. While I agree that A9.com will be integrated to a certain degree into Amazon.com I can't see results being displayed there, rather integrated with A9.com. I think, if they intend on taking on the SE giants like Google and Yahoo then ‘Amazon’ and ‘A9’ need to be two, clearly separate and distinct sites.

As far as branding goes, well, not many companies do it better than Amazon – I’m sure branding A9.com will be no problem for them.

Just my 2 UK pennies worth, will be interesting to see what actually happens.

- Rob
I gotta aree with Rob here! :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
To be honest I see no reason why they should / will change to AmazonSearch.com, A9.com is a far more brandable than AmazonSearch.com. Who’s going to bother typing AmazonSearch.com?

- Rob

Um... They would just type in "Amazon.com" and use the new "enhanced search" feature on the site. That is what I meant.

UPDATE: Looks like it is going to be a stand-a-lone site. I stumbled across this on a9.com:

A9.com
A9.com, Inc. researches and builds innovative technologies to improve search experience for e-commerce applications. A separately branded and operated subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., A9.com opened its Palo Alto, California, doors in October 2003. A9.com’s technology will power search on Amazon.com and other web sites.

We are hiring. See our jobs page.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, BUT....

it was already being beta tested for a while.
It was 'officially' launched yesterday, as per the first post in this thread and different major news sites announcements including the link to CNN

so i think A9 it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom