Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

And this is why domaining has a bad reputation ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would anybody here like to register a domain in order for us all to publicly comment on / condemn this practice of cashing in on others' misfortune? We're all agreeing with each other in private, but the public perception will not be based on what we say here.

since "misfortune" as is, is vague as it applies to others..."cashing in" then/could apply to any domain, where another wasn't "fortunate" enough to acquire it.

though i feel your intentions, imo... there is no "public perception" to address

as more of them become more of us, they will learn

until then, you really don't want them all up in what we do.

there is always the possibility that if you were to address it publicly from a domainers perspective, you could end up being seen in negative light while trying to be positive, as a result from any insight shown into how the "dn biz" does biz.

just saying....

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggie.

Very little potential upside. Calling attention to a problem like this only does more to associate you with it than there inherently is.

Let the people who do this live with themselves. And let the public think what they will about them.

Meanwhile, thousands of domainers, developers, entrepreneurs, etc will go on doing the positive things we do.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest obstacle to even creating a site is lack of audience. I recall back to the days of the VA Tech shooting that there were stories all over the media (traditional and internet) about the registration of domains in a "land grab" to see who can get them first. The media is not inclined to listen to the other side.

The ever so small the percent of a percent of people on this planet that call themselves domainers are not the audience that the media is trying to reach. It is those billions of people that are not domainers that are the media's targeted audience. Controversy sells and they know it. Domainers coming out against domainers is hardly a selling point.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe someone can tell me how these site are monetized, sorry for the ignorance, but I really don't see any opportunities here.
Neither do I. Domains like those are time-sensitive anyway.
Do not overestimate the intelligence of people :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe someone can tell me how these site are monetized, sorry for the ignorance, but I really don't see any opportunities here.

sometimes these type of names can be sold to others, who weren't fast enough to register it themselves

though a name like newtownconnecticut.extension could be constructively used, it would have been ignored from a domainer's "geo perspective", prior to this event with it's small population.

still, such names can be used for charity purposes to raise funds in the names of the students/community, etc.

but from a ppc standpoint, i don't think any advertiser's would touch it

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I suppose they are hoping for a quick flip.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are a) hoping to throw up copied news about the whole thing and make a few dollars off of ppc b) flipping the domain to someone else who will try to make money with a or c) they are retarded and think its cool to be the first one to register the domain even though obviously it makes them look like a major asshole.

It would be one thing to register the domains and turn them in to a memorial site or something that will be resourceful and help the families. But obviously that is not their intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom