Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Answerable.com forces delay when transferring out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried to transfer a domain out of Answerable.com

The outgoing registrars I normally deal with send an email that confirms an outbound transfer. Usually this email contains info on proceeding or cancelling the transfer. If ignored, you have to wait up to a week for the transfer to take place automatically.

Not Answerable... My regular registrars (enom, br, moniker, etc.) let me click on the Cancel option (if it is the only option) and it will pop me to a screen giving me a chance to move forward or cancel. For Answerable, it automatically cancels the transaction entirely forcing me to reinitiate the transfer in a few days at the gaining registrar.

Answerable's answer to this? "When a domain name enters that stage 'Transfer Waiting For Losing Registrar Approval while being transferred away the transfer request will be completed even if the Losing Registrar remains silent. Hence it would not feasible for us to implement the feature of an Approval Link when a domain name enters the Losing Registrar Approval stage while being transferred away."

Note the keywords - "feasible for us" I think that says it all.

While not many with them, I have now initiated a transfer out of all my names (won through Snapnames which is the only reason thay are there).

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sadly, that did not apply in my case:

-- Start of message --

"Dear Customer,
Answerable.com received notification on Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 that you have requested a transfer to <new registrar> for xxxxxxxxx.com. If you wish to cancel the transfer, please click on the below link before Friday, Feb 22, 2008:

Cancel Transfer Link:
Click Here to cancel the transfer of xxxxxxxxx.com

If we do not hear from you by Friday, Feb 22, 2008, the transfer will proceed."

-- End of message --

And the link listed goes to answerable.com rather than snap and does not include that text you have used.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
same happened to me, answerable.com was pushing the names between accounts for two weeks

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've never had any problems with transferring domains away from Answerable.com. When you get that email from them and you want the transfer to proceed, do not click on the link. The transfer will automatically take place within five days (I think) if you don't click on the cancellation link in their email.

Also, are you sure the domains you want to transfer to another registrar have been registered at Answerable.com for a period longer than 60 days?

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's the point, dodo. Why should we have to wait five to seven days for the transfer to take place automatically? Answerable.com hopes you'll click the link for Cancel knowing that all major registrars give you an "Approve" or "Cancel" option, thereby expediting the transfer. By frustrating you, they hope you may not feel like moving it after all (and probably you'll be stuck renewing with them if this happens close to the domain expiration date.)

And, nein, there is no 60-day issue here.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the point, dodo. Why should we have to wait five to seven days for the transfer to take place automatically? Answerable.com hopes you'll click the link for Cancel knowing that all major registrars give you an "Approve" or "Cancel" option, thereby expediting the transfer. By frustrating you, they hope you may not feel like moving it after all (and probably you'll be stuck renewing with them if this happens close to the domain expiration date.)
OK, I thought you couldn't get the domains transferred out at all... :eek:k:

But sdsinc's tip works just fine. Copy the URL of the link in the email and paste it into your browser's address bar. Then go to the part where it says respone=n and replace the n with y. You should then get to a web page saying: The Request for transfer of XXXXXXX.com has been confirmed.

(Thank you for the tip, Kate!)

Last edited:

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:( Bad news every day..

thirdeye

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would ask any sensible person who is willing to save two or three dollars at the cost of being held hostage to poor service to avoid Answerable.com.

There servers sometimes does not work properly and their technical support is inferior. You may find yourself unable to do mods to your domain name servers expediently, which can be drastic should you ever make an embarrassing mistake with the DNS info.

The last time I experience this type of service was with the defunct Registerfly.com which experienced class action lawsuits and lost their ICANN accrediting due to poor service and low-balling scams. Many people lost their business due to their domains being held hostage during that time.

I suppose that I have not learned my lesson but am not convinced that it is better to pay a little more directly to the Registrar (such as Enom, Domain Direct etc) rather than a Reseller.

That's my two cents for today and hopefully, that is all Answerable.com will get from me from hereon.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a way around this actually.
The Cancel Transfer Link reads like this:
http://manage.snapnames.com/linkhandler/servlet/...&response=n&key=...
Just replace response=n with response=y
I do this all the time :)

I guess this only works with mangage.snapnames.com and not manage.answerable.com? I am transfering a name from answerable but there is nothing that says response=n in the cancel link. just something like
/servlet/confirmRfaServlet?rfaid=123456&type=DomTrfAwayFromUs&blahblah

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tweaking the link no longer works. They disabled the capacity a while ago.

Alan Glennon

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In your domain's control panel, unlock the domain. After that, the control panel will allow you to obtain the "domain secret" (what they call the EPP code).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom