Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anti-Spam Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole, regarding anti-spam software programs. I was wondering why you promote NUCEM with your Signature Line? Are you connected with them perhaps?

Also, I purchased McAffee SpamKiller based on your earlier recommendation of it a few mos ago. It's OK but seems to get slower and slower every day at checking for spams.

Also has some other bugs and oddities such at the deleting old spams function not working, and also rescue of emails never seeming to work.

Its most obvious defect is very major in that it does not work on HTM emails. That may be the reason most spammers are now sending HTM email spams. Does Nucem work with HTM?

Are you now saying NUCEM is best? If so, why? Thanks.

M

mole

Hey Real, welcome to the SpamFighters community :D

Yes, SpamKiller is rated the No. 1 pre-inbox filtering software, so that's your best option right now.

For inbox filtering, try out the SpamNet at http://www.cloudmark.com It's into Beta 6c and still buggy, but it works for me despite this. You need Outlook 2000 or XP to use this though.

I recommend Nucem highly because its the only software/system around that allows me to report spam directly to the ISPs involved with one click of the nuke button. It's really a god-send, and my spam mails have gone down significantly after 3 weeks of use. I try to nuke EVERY single spam I receive, giving no quarter, but I do try to check to ensure it is not from an innocent party.

I get replies from ISPs regularly saying that cases have been resolved and the offender warned or IP canned.

Never before has any spam software given me such satisfaction that I could actually do something about spam, and not just mask the situation with filters. Nucem only works with Outlook right now, which is fine with me.

My spam has already gone down considerably, which is starting to worry me as I do destress myself with nuking email.

If everyone using email and Outlook today uses Nucem, spam will be a thing of the past.

And no, I'm not affiliated with Nucem. Just a satisfied customer promoting a benefit and a one-of-a-kind product that can only help ALL of us, except those bludy spammers :mad:

Wish I had an affiliate link though :)

M

mole

Cloudmark's SpamNet works with HTM/HTML, Real, since it identifies signatures.

It's still a little buggy, but getting better all the time.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the whole anti-spam crusade really works me up. never had a serious problem with spam.

don't give out your email address if you don't have to, use a less known free email, and they will never find you

I get a couple of spam emails per account each day, and it doesn't bother me at all. I actually take a look at them to see what sells

M

mole

Originally posted by uncle
I get a couple of spam emails per account each day, and it doesn't bother me at all. I actually take a look at them to see what sells

Bored, uncle? :D

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you don't know what you're missing, mole :D

M

mole

:)

Well different strokes for different folks I guess, but while you are at it, get paid for it too http://www.opt-in-pays.com :D

Don't get me wrong, I do find my regular newsletters and emails from certain marketeers very useful. They have all been whitelisted. It's the UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Emails) that gets me, those with the woman doing the donkey thingy. ;)

M

mole

If I do try to unsubscribe, I'll only be shafted with more like guinea pigs on heat The adult industry has no scruples to shaft you. I just nuke them through their ISPs with NUCEM, and now, I also forward these to [email protected] :cool:

My UCE spam is really starting to thin, so I know something's working :)

M

mole

Here's a copy from the site of the real benefits of Nucem in reply to Real's question.

What is unique about NUCEM when compared to other anti-spamming solutions?
-----------------------------

Currently, first generation anti-spamming technologies are reactive solutions, which attempt to manage the spam received. The vast majority of anti-spamming solutions are filter based, which do nothing to stem the flood of spam, nor do they attempt to prohibit the spammer from sending spam in the first place. First generation anti-spamming technologies do not scale very well.

Spammers and filter providers continue to leapfrog each others technologies, where the spammer uses technology to overcome the latest filter technology, and the filter provider adds more filter rules to identify the latest spammer techniques. As the filter provider adds more rules, they require more processing power as they are required to evaluate all rules for each e-mail message received. In some cases, valid e-mail is mistakenly identified as spam (false positive), and this can be disastrous for individuals and corporations.

Additionally, filter technology cannot be customized to each person's preferences, so what is spam to one person must be spam to every person. What is spam to one person may not be spam to another. For example, one e-mail user may have subscribed to a newsletter, and this newsletter may contain phrases normally identified by filters as spam, and hence the e-mail user will be prohibited from receiving the newsletter they might have paid for.

Filter technology cannot process images, HTML, JavaScript, or any other scripting language. Therefore, most companies who employ filter technology will also block any e-mail that is not plain text. This includes all e-mail attachments, images, JavaScript, etc. Therefore, e-mail becomes no more useful that the old teletyper.

The real problem with filter based solutions is that they are analogous to paying protection money, so the e-mail user does not have to see the spam they are receiving. Filters do nothing to help the e-mail user when they send e-mail. Their e-mail will still be swamped by spam in the inbox of the recipient they are attempting to correspond with. Furthermore, filters do nothing to help fellow net citizens from the abuse of spammers located all over the world.

NUCEM is the first of the second generation anti-spamming technologies, which stops spammers from sending spam, or said another way, NUCEM stops spam at its source. The philosophy behind second generation anti-spamming technology has nothing to do with stopping spam from reaching its recipient; it is only interested in ensuring that it is not sent at all.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if it makes you feel good, it's worth the money. but the thing is, even if you manage to temporarily get rid of some spammers, if you are not careful with your email, chances are you will start getting spammed very soon anyway.

it's the spammers that are making cash while you're spending money on anti-spam software

M

mole

if it makes you feel good, it's worth the money. but the thing is, even if you manage to temporarily get rid of some spammers, if you are not careful with your email, chances are you will start getting spammed very soon anyway.

it's the spammers that are making cash while you're spending money on anti-spam software

Well said, uncle.

Which is why you need disposable emails to give to everyone else apart from your most valued suppliers and trusted friends/business partners.

I use http://www.spamex.com (500 disposable and trackable emails) and recently got a spam filter enabled http://www.mailshell.com account for this very reason.

Hotmail or Yahoo are okay, only that the email alias has to be pretty creative if you need it to create multiple accounts.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hotmail or Yahoo are okay, only that the email alias has to be pretty creative if you need it to create multiple accounts.

exactly. that is why I don't use them. as everyone knows, if you don't come up with a hard to generate email address, spam will kill your mailbox..

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Cloudmark's SpamNet works with HTM/HTML, Real, since it identifies signatures.

It's still a little buggy, but getting better all the time.

Mole,

Any experiece with SpamAssassin's desktop Outlook client? I find that SA works well on the server side, and the desktop solution should be promising.

Also, you mention that SpamKiller is the best current client side solution?! How do you rate it vs. SpamNet and Nucem.

Looking for desktop client that can query multiple pop/imap accounts (on some of my domains), prior (hopefully) to downloading locally.

Thanks!! :)

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the whole anti-spam crusade really works me up. never had a serious problem with spam.

don't give out your email address if you don't have to, use a less known free email, and they will never find you

uncle,

Perhaps if you ran a few sites, and received hundreds of spams a day, you would understand the problem :)

You can't shield "legitimate" addresses, like info, support, contact, sales, @yourdomain.com, etc., after all.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you ran a few sites, and received hundreds of spams a day, you would understand the problem

I do run a few sites and get my portion of spam, but you've certainly got a point there.

I still think though spam will never be defeated by anti-spam software :)

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The spammers will always think up new ways of getting past any anti-spam program.

HOWEVER!! Here's a tip to protect your email address:
Don't put a HTML link in for your email - rather create small a GIF file with your email address as text in and post that on websites etc. you use, and then the spammers would have to manually type in your address, which they won't bother doing (well it's automatic bots anyway, and they won't pick it up!).

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I do run a few sites and get my portion of spam, but you've certainly got a point there.

I still think though spam will never be defeated by anti-spam software :)

uncle,

Sure, the incentive to send spam is so high (profitable after all) that most spammers won't stop. You can only chase them from host to host.

However, you'd be surprised at how effective some open source anti-spam optons have become. SpamAssassin is a good example. Works very, very well. Doesn't "stop" spam, but it does at least remove it from your inbox ...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle the whole anti-spam crusade really works me up. never had a serious problem with spam. don't give out your email address if you don't have to, use a less known free email, and they will never find you. I get a couple of spam emails per account each day, and it doesn't bother me at all. I actually take a look at them to see what sells

You must not have many email addresses, not buy things online or have much website activity.

I get between 200 to 400 spams a day. Most are deleted by McAffee SpamKiller but many sneak thru, especially htm's and JavaScripts.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You must not have many email addresses, not buy things online or have much website activity.

none of the above

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom