Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Anyone getting scared of New gtld's yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxdominios

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I honestly dont give a f+ck about the new gtlds

Just stick with good, generic .coms .nets .orgs and some cctlds and you are more than set.

So let me say, bring it on!

tiki

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
one thing is certain, everything you do online with google, chrome, chat, +1, docs, voice, email etc is monitored. they constantly record all data and use that to their benefit, which is messed up, but ok and legal because they are free services. sure no telling what they will do next, but if you haven't figured it by now, they pretty much run the internet.

also google is not scared of facebook. at the moment, there primary concern with social networking has become microsoft with their recent acquisition of yammer for 1.2 billion.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with Anthony on this one. The current global traffic split is about 90/10 in favor of desktop. There were more than 1 billion mobile‐broadband subscriptions worldwide at the end of year 2011, up 40% for the year. Emerging markets are driving global mobile traffic growth, where the offline data hungry population is staggering. The desktop/mobile traffic split in India today is about 52/48. IMO big keyboards, big glass screens and desk jockeys will go the way of the Edsel.

sources
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_vs_desktop-ww-monthly-201106-201206
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_vs_desktop-IN-monthly-201106-201206
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/material/pdf/2011 Statistical highlights_June_2012.pdf
This is exactly what I would call an informed post. To be honest, I too couldn't believe my eyes when I read the numbers just a few months ago, but the cold hard facts are, shipment of mobile devices (incl. smartphones and tablets) already surpassed desktops and laptops combined in 2011, and mainstream market analysts incl. Morgan Stanley ALL project an imminent mobile takeover in as soon as 2014.

"IMO big keyboards, big glass screens and desk jockeys will go the way of the Edsel."

Nope. Some people are posting as if they are in competition with each other, when it's more a complement/option. If I'm out and about, I use my Iphone. If I'm travelling and might do some business, I bring my laptop. Now, when I'm home, I'm using my desktop. Nice big screen, nice audio system, and a keyboard built for a human being. That'll never change for me. I can't do any real work on some little device.
Well, I don't like "browsing" on my smartphone more than you do, but this is more about how EVERYBODY ELSE is doing. For example, more than 50% of its users access Facebook via mobile devices. More importantly, mobile web traffic requires less typing (and that is also why domain names are becoming less relevant) and more touch screen user interaction (tapping and sweeping, if not voice yet), using mostly APPS (again, more than 50%) instead of browsers.

The numbers are VERY clear: we have already reached the tipping point in Q4 2011/ Q1 2012. There's simply no turning back, and denial doesn't help.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
using mostly APPS (again, more than 50%) instead of browsers.
That should be perceived as the real threat to domaindom...people having no idea where the app lives on the internet. They get instant gratification by simply pressing an icon. I think most of us can admit that we have apps on our phone that we don't even know the URL of. And ICANN should (and does) know this.

As for voice search, I still have and use the first Google Nexus One phone, released in January 2010. It included voice search, turn-by-turn spoken directions, and wifi hotspot all standard and free. These are some premium services to many carriers (wifi hotspot average $40 month). Point is, as tablets and smart phones become more robust and powerful, they will be the norm in terms of how the internet is accessed (apps, voicesearch, etc.).

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The apps are essentially closed ecosystems. Facebook is another example of a tentative ecosystem. But they are not the whole Internet, just significant chunks of it :)
They all want to dominate that space, but it's not easy so they will begin with dominating namespaces.

I don't think so many companies, some of which are major Internet players, would be applying for their own TLDs if they had no faith in the future of domain names.

Yet I think most new extensions will be failures. The corpTLDs are one thing.
The generic/geo extensions open to the public are another. As usual, this is where people will speculate and lose big most of the time.

All in one, and despite what doomsayers have been predicting since what - 1995 ?, domain names are not becoming less relevant.
An app with no visible URL is not much different than a bookmark.

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"For example, more than 50% of its users access Facebook via mobile devices."

And so do I, when I'm not at my desktop.

"The numbers are VERY clear: we have already reached the tipping point in Q4 2011/ Q1 2012. There's simply no turning back, and denial doesn't help."

It's not denial, it's reality. If you're at home and have/can afford a desktop, you're going to be using that little smartphone? Again, you're looking at it wrong, looking at is in a vs. situation, when yet again, it's complement.

I think the point you're trying to make is, because of smartphones and such it'll be more voice search, apps and such so the extension doesn't matter as much? If so, you have to understand most companies think big picture. A .com is all encompassing. History bears that out if you use the examples given earlier. That's why most businesses use them, even when they had alternative extensions at their disposal. I mean, if I go thru my bookmarks and they have to be well over 1000, I can't think of even 1 .biz, don't think I even have any .nets, do have some .orgs.

With these new gtld's, it's not going to bother .com any, if fact, if people develop them, it'll just drive some extra traffic to that .com. That's not the battle. These are alternative extensions, so they'll be up against other alternative extensions. Not .com. If you use one of the newer ones like .co which has sometimes been marketed as, Hey, you can't get your .com, get a .co. Now it's if you can't get a .com, just pick from the flood of new extensions. So the most like scenario are the alternative extensions will take a hit, not the one sitting on top of the hill.

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the mobile market is growing and will be big but why does that matter so much? the more phones/tablets/whatever advance they are being used more like traditional computers.

as for the new gtld's..who really knows. the big companies can certainly afford to blow the money, its a 'write off' if it doesn't work out and great for them if it does. good domains will always be good domains regardless of what comes down the road.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still think this will be different due to the number of new gtlds, but more important the power of the companies that might be pushing them. How much different is hard to say. But it will be a great test to the power of .com and cctlds. If the new gtlds get treated like .info and .me, then it's blue sky for .com

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I still remember the late .mobi TLD, that supposedly couldn't fail because it was 'backed' by prominent players such as Google, MS, Nokia etc. You know the deal on that.
Granted, they didn't put a lot of effort in it either but why swim against the flow.

How can we forget about "Vision" and his long HYPED list of companies that were using MOBI?

The question of; "Where are they now"? has finally been answered; :yes:

Mobile Banking:
Bank of America - BofA.mobi ACTIVE
Wachovia - Wachovia.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
Deutsche Bank (Germany) - Deutsche-Bank.mobi ACTIVE
Barclays (UK) - Barclays.mobi ACTIVE
La Caixa (Spain) - LaCaixa.mobi REDIRECTS TO .ES
Standard Bank (South-Africa) - DEAD
UniCredit Group (Italy) - UniCreditGroup.mobi REDIRECTS TO .EU... (Didn't know that TLD was still alive) LMAO!
Kreissparkasse Stade (Germany) - Ksk-Stade.mobi ACTIVE

Financial Services
Fidelity.mobi ACTIVE
Ing.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
AXA.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Insurance
StateFarm.mobi SERVER NOT FOUND
Allstate.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Automotive
Ferrari.mobi SERVER NOT FOUND
BMW.mobi ACTIVE
Rolls-Royce.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
FordCA.mobi REDIRECTS TO .CA
JaguarXF.mobi PAGE NOT FOUND
VolvoCars.mobi ACTIVE
Opel.mobi ACTIVE

Hotels
Marriott.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
DoubleTree.mobi SERVER NOT FOUND
Sheraton.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Airlines
AirFrance.mobi - PLEASE USE www.airfrance.com
Iberia.mobi ACTIVE
SAS.mobi SERVER NOT FOUND

Transportation
Amtrak.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
AAA.mobi (American Automobile Association) LINKS REDIRECT TO DOT COM
Castrol.mobi UNDEVELOPED

Sports
ESPN.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
NBA.mob 503 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
WNBA.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
UFC.mobi INVALID

Magazines
Time.mobi (Time Magazine) LINKS REDIRECT TO DOT COM
BusinessWeek.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
CNNMoney.mobi ACTIVE

Beverages
Smirnoff.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Entertainment:
Fox.mobi PAGE NOT LOADING
TBS.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
USANetwork.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
Marvel.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Spiderman.mobi REDIRECTS TO MARVEL.COM ... lol
HSM2.mobi (Disney's High School Musical) REDIRECTS TO .COM - PAGE NOT FOUND

Internet
MSN.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
GoDaddy.mobi / TDNAM.REDIRECTS TO .COM
Netsol.mobi (Network Solutions) ACTIVE

Technology
Cisco.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

News
FoxNews.mobi ACTIVE
ABCNews.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
AlJazeera.mobi - UNDEVELOPED - PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON

Newspapers
TheSun.mobi ACTIVE

Guides
Zagat.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Mobile Operators
T-Mobile.mobi ACTIVE
Three.mobi CONNECTION TIME OUT
Vodafone.mobi ACTIVE
TIM.mobi ACTIVE
Orange.mobi ACTIVE
ChinaMobile.mobi SERVER NOT FOUND

Mobile Manufacturers
Nokia.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
SonyEricsson.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Telecommunications
Ericsson.mob THIS PAGE NOT LONGER EXISTS - LINKS TO .COM
3Skype.mobi REDIRECTS TO .CO.UK

Weather
Weather.mobi ACTIVE

Cities, States & Countries
Dublin.mobi NETSOL PPC PAGE
Helsinki.mobi REDIRECTS TO .FI
Barcelona.mobi ACTIVE
InformNY.mobi ACTIVE

Clothing
Polo.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
BenettonPress.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM

Airports
Schiphol.mobi (Amsterdam) ACTIVE

NGO's
WWF.mobi (World Wildlife Fund) ACTIVE
SalvationArmy.mobi GODADDY PARKED PAGE

NOKIA launched 6 .mobi sites
1.) Nokia.mobi REDIRECTS TO .COM
2.) ForumNokia.mobi/ PAGE NOT FOUND
3.) Mosh.Nokia.mobi/ PAGE NOT FOUND
4.) NokiaforBusiness.mobi - PARKED PAGE WITH LINK TO NOKIA.MOBI THAT REDIRECTS TO DOT.COM... LMAO!
5.) s60.mobi WTF? IS THAT RUSSIAN?
6.) Medeo.mobi PAGE NOT FOUND

THE VERY List that was used to FOOL unsuspecting domainers into buying MOBI's...

It was sold as a needed TLD, one that would deliver this "Wonderful Experience" And the IPHONE? Well that was just a FAD, a over sized handheld device that very few would use.

View attachment laugh.gif

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is old news, in the meantime there have been other new TLDs (.asia .tel),
not to mention Overstock's foray into unknown branding territory.
I always keep saying lessons must be drawn from the past, it's less expensive than trial and error.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I always keep saying lessons must be drawn from the past, it's less expensive than trial and error.

Your right, but for many people they don't learn from the past, they don't learn what history teaches them, They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over because they think they know better, You can warn them and hope they listen but they often don't. With what we learned from Mobi and other TLD'S, you and I both know that trying to convince egotistical people can be a impossible task.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no reason for concern over new TLD's.

Adam

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"For example, more than 50% of its users access Facebook via mobile devices."

And so do I, when I'm not at my desktop.

"The numbers are VERY clear: we have already reached the tipping point in Q4 2011/ Q1 2012. There's simply no turning back, and denial doesn't help."

It's not denial, it's reality. If you're at home and have/can afford a desktop, you're going to be using that little smartphone? Again, you're looking at it wrong, looking at is in a vs. situation, when yet again, it's complement.

I think the point you're trying to make is, because of smartphones and such it'll be more voice search, apps and such so the extension doesn't matter as much? If so, you have to understand most companies think big picture. A .com is all encompassing. History bears that out if you use the examples given earlier. That's why most businesses use them, even when they had alternative extensions at their disposal. I mean, if I go thru my bookmarks and they have to be well over 1000, I can't think of even 1 .biz, don't think I even have any .nets, do have some .orgs.

With these new gtld's, it's not going to bother .com any, if fact, if people develop them, it'll just drive some extra traffic to that .com. That's not the battle. These are alternative extensions, so they'll be up against other alternative extensions. Not .com. If you use one of the newer ones like .co which has sometimes been marketed as, Hey, you can't get your .com, get a .co. Now it's if you can't get a .com, just pick from the flood of new extensions. So the most like scenario are the alternative extensions will take a hit, not the one sitting on top of the hill.
First off, the denial comment was not directed at you (and that's why I started a new paragraph), but rather the uninformed who thought getting one of those smartphones was just a fashion statement, and totally ignorant of NUMEROUS industry and market reports that mobile device users have noticeably higher disposable income.

But then again, this is not about how you and I use our smartphones. I for one have been a computer geek for decades (or more specifically since 1983, when I first laid my hands on an Apple IIe), but most folks out there are not, and mobile devices (esp. smartphones) will be their sole point of interaction with the Internet ON A DAILY BASIS.

And don't worry about the big boys, they are better prepared for social media and mobile devices these days. How the music industry learned it the hard way when they fought in futile against digital download and later totally reinvented their retail model has become a textbook case for change management. Corporates KNEW (and not denying) that mobile web traffic would take over the Internet, and are already adapting to the brave new age VERY well: Facebook.com/BMW, Twitter.com/NBA, m.ING.com (and no, NOT .mobi, #irrelevant)

I agree that .COM will be the last battalion, and should be able to hold its ground for the next while. However, the new gTLD thingy is like a Pandora's box, once the namespace is open, there is basically no end to it. The sheer number of applications (1,930) tells A LOT, and it's just a start.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But then again, this is not about how you and I use our smartphones. I for one have been a computer geek for decades (or more specifically since 1983, when I first laid my hands on an Apple IIe), but most folks out there are not, and mobile devices (esp. smartphones) will be their sole point of interaction with the Internet ON A DAILY BASIS.

To do what exactly? Check their friends FB status? lol

Yep, the way consumers use their mobile devices I can see it drastically changing the internet landscape.

Not.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some folks get it. Some folks don't get it.

First, there are two distinct and separate issues in this thread.

First. Scared of new TLD's? Absolutely not.

Then, for some odd reason, smartphones came into the thread.

Will smartphones change how people access the internet? Absolutely. Will tablets change how people access the internet? Absolutely.

To be worried about new TLD's is to worry about something that is entirely out of your control. They are coming, they are approved, there is no stopping them, love or hate em it will happen.

And, to be worried or concerned about mobile internet taking over the stationary (PC) internet is also being worried about something out of your control, as this is already happening.

Once again, with clarity...domainers to not control the internet. They only wish they did.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i find very little difference between the using the net on a desktop or mobile phone these days. a few years ago, they had to be pretty different but with todays smartphones you can use any website just about the same as you would if you were on a desktop. at least i can with my S2. the more smartphones evolve the need for mobile version of anything become less and less important. there won't be 'regular' traffic and 'mobile' traffic...there will just be traffic.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there won't be 'regular' traffic and 'mobile' traffic...there will just be traffic.
It will take awhile for others to catch up to that concept. But for now, and in the immediate future, this is the normal metrics that are being measured. Such traffic and origin of traffic are also how the search engines determine their pricing.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From Raiders post it looks like .mobi is just a redirect extension.

But a question to all - if the gtlds have such low potential, why are so many big companies and groups of established internet professionals going after batches of them to operate? Is it for the quick buck, or they must expect to make a viable business out of it. There are definitely two sides to the gtld argument among experienced domainers.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From Raiders post it looks like .mobi is just a redirect extension.

But a question to all - if the gtlds have such low potential, why are so many big companies and groups of established internet professionals going after batches of them to operate? Is it for the quick buck, or they must expect to make a viable business out of it. There are definitely two sides to the gtld argument among experienced domainers.

Quick answer,... money.

There is money being made in unnecessary registrations in trademark protection.
There is money being made in udrp motions.
There is money being made in simple branding.

No company wants to spend more than 10 bucks to establish their brand, to a legitimate domain investor (domainer), but they for some reason swamp registrations of new gtld's, thinking this will get them out of their quagmire of not getting their brand back in the old days when they thought the internet was just passing fancy for techies.

Between the courts, ICAAN, UDRP's, and of course registrars, there is a ton of money passing hands.

Now, if they would just stop for a minute and pay that same money to who may own the brand they want, everyone would be alot happier.

But that isnt the way to do business apparently.

Reminds me of a quote:
Butch Cassidy: [to Sundance] If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators