Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone hear the rumor that Godaddy is trying to buy all domains searched for?

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They removed their domain monitoring is suspicious, and I've heard from two people that they searched for a domain that was available, then they checked back for it and GoDaddy had it for sale in their premium market. We know GoDaddy is capable of some questionable stuff, but hijacking searched domains to sell at a premium now?

What do you think?

Star Plus

Level 1
Reaction score
Yep I've seen some posts about it not only that even in domain buying and selling groups as well . I personally don't register my domains on GoDaddy so that alone makes me want to stay away from a monopoly registrar like that .

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's amazing how many people use them after all the weird stuff they do. I got a $100 inconvenience fee once while out of the country. Literally shut my domain registration down until I paid it. I didn't even have my hosting there. What can you do. At least there are Forums that can bring some light to it.

Star Plus

Level 1
Reaction score
Yeah, it's amazing how many people use them after all the weird stuff they do. I got a $100 inconvenience fee once while out of the country. Literally shut my domain registration down until I paid it. I didn't even have my hosting there. What can you do. At least there are Forums that can bring some light to it.
True , might as well be wise and play the economic game .to counter their greed it's like taming the beast by starvation .

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

GD is not real time registrar.

sometimes a domain may show as available to register, when in fact, it's not.
if you think they are frontrunning, first check whois of the name to see when and where it was registered.

imo...

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can see them going as far as taking domains searched for on their website before the checkout finishes. Like at the end of checking out, it shows a message, "this is a premium domain". It seems crazy, but so does blocking registered domains from transfers until a convenience fee is paid, or registering domains to upsell that people inquired about. It's just them leveraging their business, I suppose. We'll see. Maybe they'll grow a conscience when people actually care enough to call them out, and they'll magically start looking out for the customer's interest.

Thanks for the Opinions. Business is business...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like at the end of checking out, it shows a message, "this is a premium domain".
Hi

in such cases, those names are already owned by a seller who has it listed for sale in Afternic.
it may have come up in the que, along with some "unregistered extensions" when you searched a keyword/phrase.

imo....

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Punch a domain into who.is

I use it to check availability, its quick and easy and the search stays out of godaddys hands.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom