Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Are drop prices inflated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of the prices I see the expired names go for is beyond me. Especially LLL's (.com, .net, .org). It seems like most of the people buying are seasoned domainers/brokers - so why are the prices so high? Is it some kind of ploy, or is the market really that hot?

Can we consider the drop sales prices as indicative of wholesale value?

Thanks

Domain Days 2024

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, the demand is there...and supply is low. the market has set the value and the "big players" are in acquisition mode as is some newer guys just starting out...so some..ok, most of the auctions get really heated and intense, but overall, the prices are still on the low end....once you resell a couple of these you will then realize --- man, what a bargain that was...but of course it's easier said then done.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes very well put indeed. But chappy the prices are inflated.

Skys The Limit$

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why would people pay inflated prices?
Should I view the drop prices as indicative of fair value?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chappy said:
Why would people pay inflated prices?
Should I view the drop prices as indicative of fair value?

drop prices are still low.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I go to 3character.com and see lll.net starts at $320. Then I see lll.nets go for up to $1200 on snapnames!

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sometimes....you just gotta have it! no matter what it takes...so you end up spending a little more :wink:

overpaying a few hundred bucks, or even a few grand...doesn't really matter to the "big players" or in certain unique situations where there is interest beyond ppc/reselling.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok - so what your saying is don't think of the drop prices as indicative of what you can resell (wholesale) for. They're likely bought by the big players who have interested parties (end users) willing to pay over the odds.

thanks

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMo there is a bit of psychology involved.
An item being auctioned looks more attractive and desirable just because several people are after it at the same time. Bidding/outbidding frenzy.
Perhaps some of the bidders are impulse buyers or want to show off. Who knows.

Some prices are inflated but sometimes an interested end user may see it as a bargain... There are also some good deals to be made on the drops.
It is still possible to get decent names at decent prices. Even when the prices are steep it may look like a wise investment in the long term.
I don't think drop sales accurately reflect wholesale value.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chappy said:
Ok - so what your saying is don't think of the drop prices as indicative of what you can resell (wholesale) for. They're likely bought by the big players who have interested parties (end users) willing to pay over the odds.

drop prices are nowhere close to being indicative of 'what you can resell'. try to sell some of those crappy drop names for thousands here and see how far will that take you.

most 'big players' are no different that compulsive gamblers or rare stamp collectors who are into the thrill of the chase. for them the outside world does not exist. it's not about end users, it's all about them and their inner circle. the latest thrill is in competing who will overpay the most. just because they feel like it. it's the journey they enjoy, not the end. you would be ill advised to 'model your business plan' after them. remember, most 'big players' are bored, white men well into the middle age crisis. this is their rediscovered life purpose. without it they are just anonymous nobodies with bad breath, receding hairlines and pot-bellied guts.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thats a lot of money to be splashing around for thrills.
Thanks.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chappy said:
Wow. Thats a lot of money to be splashing around for thrills.

exactly, but that's the whole point. who's the 'biggest daddy'. at least they get something 'tangible' out of it, unlike the corporate spenders who waste just as much money on such things like lavish hotels and diamond hookers.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't think they do this as a hobby... it's a business.

gotta spend money to make money. if you don't, then you are not in the game...at this stage, if you don't got the cash flow/strong financial backing or all of the years of domaining/experience then you won't get much play.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chappy said:
I go to 3character.com and see lll.net starts at $320. Then I see lll.nets go for up to $1200 on snapnames!

i see you referring to that 3 char site, and it is a crap reference for a guide to market prices.

the value of any domain, is what someone is willing to pay.

also, it is obvious you are not a visionary, nor a real domain investor.

you only see short term roi (return on investment) that's why you're complaining about prices.

sorry if this seems harsh, but i see it too many times from those who are always looking to buy a domain for a quick flip.

i made the same mistakes a few years back when i was buying 3 letter .coms for $400 > $500 each, and selling them for $800 > $1K

those same domains are now priced at $2500 and up, respectively!

the guys who are spending $$$$ for 3 letter .net and .org domains know that in 2 > 3 years from now, that they will be the one's who own some of the best letter combinations of these types of domains.

so if you want to be in that position in the future, you better start spending some of that money.

as is those prices are cheap compared to what they will be in the future.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First off Biggie I would say Zesty Has a far better portfolio than you in LLL.com and He made the guide as a minimum. and Chappy make sure you understand the people here telling you to spend spend spend would like to sell to you make sure you see thier agenda they don't give a damn about you just hoping maybe to get some of your money.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i see you referring to that 3 char site, and it is a crap reference for a guide to market prices.

A little harsh. It is meant to be a guide to minimum wholesale prices. I now realize that the drop sales prices are not considered wholesale.

the guys who are spending $$$$ for 3 letter .net and .org domains know that in 2 > 3 years from now, that they will be the one's who own some of the best letter combinations of these types of domains. so if you want to be in that position in the future, you better start spending some of that money. as is those prices are cheap compared to what they will be in the future.

Nobody knows this for sure. It is a gamble. Or to put it another way, an investment that carries risk - just like the stockmarket.

I wanted to know whether the prices paid on the drop are paid by 'investors' hoping to profit in the future if/when the domains appreciate or whether they are buying to sell to an end user who has expressed interest in such names. I think its a bit of both but mostly the former.

also, it is obvious you are not a visionary, nor a real domain investor.

Thanks! I'm trying...believe me. :p

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xnx said:
First off Biggie I would say Zesty Has a far better portfolio than you in LLL.com and He made the guide as a minimum. and Chappy make sure you understand the people here telling you to spend spend spend would like to sell to you make sure you see thier agenda they don't give a damn about you just hoping maybe to get some of your money.

lol

he (zesty) was buying domains from me a couple of years ago!

and i ain't trying get Chappy or anyone else to buy my domains.

whenever i post 3 letter domains for sale, it's only for the benefit of others to add, to their portfolios.

as i don't ever have to sell any of them. i can keep them and pass em down to my children, just like "dry land" owners do now!

i'm only trying to give the thread starter some insight to how prices got to where they are now and where they will be in the future.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
lol

he (zesty) was buying domains from me a couple of years ago!

whenever i post 3 letter domains for sale, it's only for the benefit of others to add, to their portfolios.

Well I think he has far surpassed your portfolio so I guess bad sales on your part, and when you sell your just doin g it to help I see Its Charity Work. YEAH

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
i don't think they do this as a hobby... it's a business.

Heck Mike anything can be called "business" these days. My aunt Peg that sells her soiled panties on eBay is also in "business". What I am trying to say it's not true hobby, but it's not a true business either. While they do have some "true business" traits (vanity, ego, impulse decisions) true businesses will never have such high tolerance for risky spending. For many of the so called big players these are nothing more than speculative investments disquised as "online business". How else can you possibly rationalize people who pay thousands on drops for names like ButtholeLintGadgets.com and similar? In fact I would not be surprised to hear that some of them have negative annual flows. The reason being for this kind of reckless behavior is that some of them are relative latecomers forced to start from scratch. And so in order to be taken seriously by the "industry" they have to bulk up their holdings by being on constant massive spending binges. The goal is to try and amass huge portfolios which they hope to sell to bigger money holders down the road.

Another reason why "big players" overpay for crappy names is for tax purposes (notwithstanding that many of them are on the run from their respective tax authorities). I am by no means an expert on this issue but I know enough to tell you that domain purchases can be claimed as tax deductible "business expenses" and what have you.

But keep in mind they don't look for any names. The kind of names they are happy to overpay are so called generic Ovt. searched names (even without extension) because those numbers are indicators of potential traffic and thus "supposed" value. So any term that has over 1,000 monthly searches (without extension) no matter how stupid it sounds and how far-fetched it is will attract bids between $2,000 and $5,000+. For example just recently somebody bid almost $5,000 ($4,588 to be precise) for MonogramTowels.com at Snapnames. Actually, this is an example of seemingly "decent generic name" consisting of two descriptive words, so one is inclined to feel "good about it", yet when you scratch beyond the surface you will realize that this is an obviously overpaid domain for several reasons. First, realistically speaking how big is the "monogram towel" industry? Or more precisely, how big and interested in "generic online presence" are the "monogram towel" dealers/merchants/purveyors who will be willing to buy this name for several thousands more than what the speculator paid? (cause for sure he ain't sell this name for $6,000). Second, a brief Overture check reveals that this term was searched less than 500 times last month, which in reality means that this domain is lucky if it gets, I don't know, maybe two unique visitors per day. That also means that it will probably take this speculator the rest of their lives using ppc pages before they recoup their "investment".

So why are they doing it you are asking yourself?

Why are they paying $5,000 at drops for names that will not sell here on this board for even $50.

Well here's the deal:

"MonogramTowels.com" in itself is shit, but sheer arithmetic/marketing probability tells us that portfolio consisting of 100,000 faceless generic terms like "MonogramTowels.com" and "ButtholeLintGadgets.com" will bound to have a few that will attract some end-user prices. Never mind the ppc "income" on names like this, if you do the math you will see that even if they only sell 0.1% of their names at end-user prices (that is only 100 domains at say 10k each, out of portfolio of 100,000) they will make a "decent living" out of it. And this is even without taking into account dividents they get from ppc aggregators, and tax breaks for legally wasting their money at Snapname drops, so in reality when they pay 5,000 for a shit name, they really paid "only" if half that.

And this is the kind of game they "play" while pursuing their ultimate goals and that is to pull "Ult" and sell their portfolios to "even bigger players".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom