Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Are .ws domains worth anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysChat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello evryone,
I was wondering, are .ws domains worth anything? Compared to a .com, how much of it would it be worth? 1/5th?, 1/10th?, 1/100th? Etc....

Thanks,
Chris

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SysChat said:
Hello evryone,
I was wondering, are .ws domains worth anything? Compared to a .com, how much of it would it be worth? 1/5th?, 1/10th?, 1/100th? Etc....

Thanks,
Chris

Depends on keyword. Tier 1 generics are always worth a few bucks. These .ws names have no url-bar type-ins to speak of, so all revenue is via search. That's fine as long as you're developing for search. The domain should then be valued on a revenue multiplier. Stable $10 a month should get you at least $250 on the secondary market.

Ross1982

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like them for developing

I have davidbeckham.ws and that does well searchengine wise but then it's a proper full site and so far this month and earned me just under 50 bucks.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The question with .ws is the same as with most, if not all other TLD's other than .com. All other TLD's need development to be successful it' the nature of the business. Not nearly as many people in the wolrd are even aware .ws exsist so in order for then to take notice development must occur. Why else go there if .com version of something is available. One day when the millions of dollars are spent on advertising for these other TLD's and the populations general TLD awareness rises, then we'll see some of these domains with other TLD's do well but I'm afraid that is long time away for now. For now, .com is king with no development and all other domains must be developed to compete with the king. My $0.02... Cheers

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say for most, development is a must

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.ws can be only popular when developing. I own 150 .ws and i am planning to develop all of them. Parking is not a good idea too, only makes a few cents daily.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
95% of .ws names do require development as suggested in previous posts.

I have one with ovt results (with ext) that receives about 20 to 30 uniques per day. However it is a typo of a popular developed site. The only other one i own is generic and receives no type ins.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I obtain more inquiries on .WS domains than any other new TLD (although it's more difficult to look up the owners when registered through a third party like GoDaddy). The most popular are one word generics (with high overture/google) although I have had inquiries on 2-3 word names. With a $300+ offer on a 3 word.

.BIZ ranks second for me and .US is third (level of inquiries)

I have yet to have any inquiry on a .INFO domain to date and I own at least a few premium names. With GoDaddy increasing the price to $9.95/yr (plus the .25 ICANN BS fee) this will only encourage people to drop them with cheaper/better alternatives available.

.WS is good for long term development. No new TLD is going to give you high revenue yield whether it's biz, us, or even info. Due to it's MLM marketing strategy a lot of people are already familiar with it. It has been around longer than .BIZ/.INFO. The major disadvantage of .WS is that you cannot transfer them to another registrar. This means you are stuck paying whatever they choose to charge you ($10-35/yr). Or if they are at a wild west reseller and they go out of business you will have one hell of a time finding the interface to renew or manage the domain.

For traffic and brandability you cannot beat .com

Pepe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up old topic (it was on google 1st page), but I would like to know has anything changed regarding .ws value?

I'm considering registering short .ws domain for my brand (since .com is taken by big company but not used and completely unrelated)
It is short word and looks catchy with that extension, something like "best.bs"

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.ws is worth sh*t IMO unless you've already caught the wave or that's you're preferred ccTLD.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm considering registering short .ws domain for my brand (since .com is taken by big company but not used and completely unrelated)
Why not use your ccTLD ?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pepe, I' not sure what country you're in but the 3 previous comments are right. You might as well pick .ES or whatever ccTLD, I would NOT touch .WS with the proverbial 10-foot pole, and .WS was not even one ext many people had high hopes for, like .ME which failed after making some noise and many others. Any .WS names aren't worth squat w/very few exceptions. And I'm amazed to read in one of the older posts that .WS has been around longer than .INFO or .BIZ (#11) when I thought I had witnessed its intro not long ago. And even if a domain you want is regged in every other ext I'd think about it carefully, that would not mean a good investment

And if you're into exts you find 'cool' and you don't care if the ext makes it or not, then why don't you go for .WEB, .BUY, .VIP or .ONE ? lol, those are the "new wave" LMFAO and they all sound groovier than .WS (they'll all likely be relics in just months but any of those I'd prefer associating my site with than .WS.....)

For the 1st time since I began this thing I got semi-excited about a new ext, that was .CO and I really thought it would challenge .NET as the alternative to .COM, and look what happened, you find the hottest names in .CO being dropped left an right, I've only sold a couple but I didn't reg or buy many anyway, I had already learned my lesson, so if .CO didn't really make it I would not hold my breath with .WS, .WEB or any of their cousins....(pero buena suerte, chico ! in case you're actually Spanish lol...)

:couch2:

Sorry for bringing up old topic (it was on google 1st page), but I would like to know has anything changed regarding .ws value? I'm considering registering short .ws domain for my brand (since .com is taken by big company but not used and completely unrelated) It is short word and looks catchy with that extension, something like "best.bs"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom