Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Artichoke.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkersTwo

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i too don't see the value of this domain... how can someone get a return of investment on that?

Anyone who cannot see the value in the domain Artichoke.com does not understand how to value domains.

Example:
I purchased greenpepper.com 5 years ago (2002) for $1,000 now what it would go for? Then people said I was crazy.

Now who is crazy?

I do not know how to comment on this post without sounding bad, so I will refrain from saying more.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$26k is a lot of money for this name, but I really believe it will prove to be a bargain.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you can say anything you want bonkers and you won't sound bad, this is a discussion, you are free to disagree with me:)

I am wondering though, and I would be glad if you could answer this question for me cause you're the only one who can, how will you get a return of investment and in how long? Just an estimation with a proper justification would do

BonkersTwo

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The value is NOT based on PPC, it is a value of a portfolio.

Developed Websites are 100x to 1 MillionX more valueable than domains.

So if the domain is never developed, the resale value is only 1x-2x. Not a good investment.

We will develop the domain in to a website and to get 200-500k will not be a problem for a small developed website.

Communities even small ones are valuable, domain names themselves are only worth a 5-10x multiple (unless it is Loans.com etc, blah blah :) )

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting observations. Question is, how does one go about selling a completed web site? Who do you contact, what timetable could you expect? Good domains are not hard to sell. If the same is true for developed sites, sitting on premium domains, I can see the appeal. This is an area I have heard very little about and would love to learn more.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The value of domains has headed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much towards PPC earnings x months revenue.

We routinely sell domains for 1000 x PPC months earnings even without a developed site.. names which arent even "true generics"

I couldnt agree more Bonkers.. good buy

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In a world of generics, an artichoke - which back in my home country makes a rather oily dish that I hated as a child - is not average Joe's favorite "meat and taters". So I think that the buyer (Bonkers?) simply has money to burn - which is good on its own - but it shows that people are getting carried away by the market trends instead of usability. That being told, good luck with the artichoke.com development.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you cant generalize for what multiple (100x to 1 million you say) you can sell a website for. Its still about money, its about how much the website you create will potentially make for the person that buys it from you. And those guys have the same cash flow model that you are using.
If you want to sell a website for good money you obviously need a good idea that goes beyond some stupid directory site or some site where people can post some stuff. And that means putting a lot of work, money and marketing behind it.

I would expect that any website that you sell should have way more money sunk into it by payroll, advertising, content etc. than the domain name itself, so the expense for the name should for a serious project actually be negligible. That being said I think its good to buy a domain thats memorable and unique. I am not 100% sure about artichoke because its harder to spell than your average domain, but I think its a great name for an Art-Site of some kind.

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bonkers know's what he is doing. He would not be able to spend the amount of money he spends daily, but not knowing what he is doing!

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bonkers know's what he is doing. He would not be able to spend the amount of money he spends daily, but not knowing what he is doing!

True but its not his money, he works for a company that he buys these domains for. He has said in the past only a small number of the names he buys are his personally.

BonkersTwo

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everyone who looks at the value of domain for it PPC value, this is 100% wrong for GENERIC domains.

"The value of domains has headed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much towards PPC earnings x months revenue."

For domain like xyz1234.com that makes $3 a day, yes you buy and sell this domain for a multiple of revenue. since NO ONE would every build a company on it, nor develop a website that makes sense.

Back to generics, I was walking around at a strip mall on vacation last month and I looked up and saw a shop and the name of the shop was "Artichoke". I just laughed to myself and had to come back make another post about Generic domains.

Example from Today's Snap Auction, greatmailcenter.com, Outbid! round3 $285.00,

Who would build a company around this domain? (Not Me) or even a small website (not me) Just PPC for as long as it lasts.

Now lets take: grandlux.com 5h 31m Outbid! round3 $2,351.00

Current Businesses:
1. Grand Lux Cafe
2. Band - Grand Lux
3. Grand Lux Vacations

These are just from the first 5 links on Google, I am sure there are more. grandluxvacations.com

So how much is this really worth?

If you try to go on PPC, you can't, since if you display resto ads, you lose the domain, if you do music ads you lose the domain, if you do vacations you may lose the domain.

SO you need to develop the domain in to a business like other did.

Just my 2 cents worth, I would put this domain at about a value of $10,000US

Interesting observations. Question is, how does one go about selling a completed web site? Who do you contact, what timetable could you expect? Good domains are not hard to sell. If the same is true for developed sites, sitting on premium domains, I can see the appeal. This is an area I have heard very little about and would love to learn more.

Domaining is easy work, buy a domain point it a parking company, if it gets traffic and not much $$. Then you put better links on the domains, VIOLA, $10 a day and you are done.

Now, to develop a website and keep daily content on it is another. Look at all the domainers who started blogs. The first month they post every day, then afterwards they do not see any $$ coming in so the posts go weekly then what is a post?

www.johnchow.com started a blog and the first month made almost nothing, now after POSTING at least 1 time per day for 9 months, he is up to $18,000 per month.

How many people here are making 18k a month?

Anyone can do what John Chow did, it takes time a lot of it (4 hours day)

Most domainers like to brag that they only work 1 hour per day.

I am sure that Kevin Ham and Frank Shilling do not work 1-2 hours per day. They work at least 8 if not more 7 days per week.

I know I do, weekends I take it easy and only work 6-8 hours.

Learn wordpress, get a custom wordpress design blog about something you KNOW and LOVE. So you can be a expert, provide excellent content and you can make 5k a month working 3-4 hours per day on one website.

If you are 18 and chasing women (or men to be politically correct) taking the time to make nothing for 4 months doesn't seem to be worth it. You want money FAST and NOW, not in 4 months.

That means you will never make it until you believe in yourself and what you do.

IM me your websites/blogs and I will TRY to give anyone some advise.

1st thing DO NOT LITTER your website with google adsense. Make quality content then I will TRY to help

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good advice ...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everyone who looks at the value of domain for it PPC value, this is 100% wrong for GENERIC domains.

"The value of domains has headed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much towards PPC earnings x months revenue."

Very, very true...way too much focus on ppc when determining generic domain value.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I so so agree with this thesis

Generic or commonly used words expressions trump CPC

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very good advice there BonkersTwo, I agree on the ppc comment.
The domain's value is much more beyon ppc.

Although one thing about artichoke and similar domains: There can be lots of companies using these names for their business, but they are mostly small businesses, they simply can't afford paying any significant amount for the domain, besides that they won't see the potential.
The small shop called "artichoke" only sells to local customers, they don't need artichoke.com to market to everyone..

But I do think in the long term it will pay off.. somehow.

~MG

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very good advice there BonkersTwo, I agree on the ppc comment.
The domain's value is much more beyon ppc.

Although one thing about artichoke and similar domains: There can be lots of companies using these names for their business, but they are mostly small businesses, they simply can't afford paying any significant amount for the domain, besides that they won't see the potential.
The small shop called "artichoke" only sells to local customers, they don't need artichoke.com to market to everyone..

But I do think in the long term it will pay off.. somehow.

~MG

even thought artichoke.com is not the best example of Tony's genius, at the very least the name itself appreciates even if it sits there. If only I could turn back time and not have sold a bunch of premiums back in 05-07 one could argue that I would have triped or quadrapled (at least) my investment..

So you need to wonder... What is artichoke.com worth now, in 6 months in 1 year in 5 years .. then you see that ROI is a very relative term..

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
even thought artichoke.com is not the best example of Tony's genius, at the very least the name itself appreciates even if it sits there. If only I could turn back time and not have sold a bunch of premiums back in 05-07 one could argue that I would have triped or quadrapled (at least) my investment..

So you need to wonder... What is artichoke.com worth now, in 6 months in 1 year in 5 years .. then you see that ROI is a very relative term..

Yes, that is why I think it will pay off eventually, as pretty much any investment in a generic domain right now. Although the ROI/gain one is looking for is relative to the funds he has to spend :)

~MG

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All i know is when Bonkers bids ...im gone

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

For domain like xyz1234.com that makes $3 a day, yes you buy and sell this domain for a multiple of revenue. since NO ONE would every build a company on it, nor develop a website that makes sense.

Back to generics, I was walking around at a strip mall on vacation last month and I looked up and saw a shop and the name of the shop was "Artichoke". I just laughed to myself and had to come back make another post about Generic domains.

Example from Today's Snap Auction, greatmailcenter.com, Outbid! round3 $285.00,

Who would build a company around this domain? (Not Me) or even a small website (not me) Just PPC for as long as it lasts.

Now lets take: grandlux.com 5h 31m Outbid! round3 $2,351.00

Current Businesses:
1. Grand Lux Cafe
2. Band - Grand Lux
3. Grand Lux Vacations

These are just from the first 5 links on Google, I am sure there are more. grandluxvacations.com

So how much is this really worth?

If you try to go on PPC, you can't, since if you display resto ads, you lose the domain, if you do music ads you lose the domain, if you do vacations you may lose the domain.

SO you need to develop the domain in to a business like other did.

Just my 2 cents worth, I would put this domain at about a value of $10,000US

Domaining is easy work, buy a domain point it a parking company, if it gets traffic and not much $$. Then you put better links on the domains, VIOLA, $10 a day and you are done.

Now, to develop a website and keep daily content on it is another. Look at all the domainers who started blogs. The first month they post every day, then afterwards they do not see any $$ coming in so the posts go weekly then what is a post?

www.johnchow.com started a blog and the first month made almost nothing, now after POSTING at least 1 time per day for 9 months, he is up to $18,000 per month.

How many people here are making 18k a month?

Anyone can do what John Chow did, it takes time a lot of it (4 hours day)

Most domainers like to brag that they only work 1 hour per day.

I am sure that Kevin Ham and Frank Shilling do not work 1-2 hours per day. They work at least 8 if not more 7 days per week.

I know I do, weekends I take it easy and only work 6-8 hours.

Learn wordpress, get a custom wordpress design blog about something you KNOW and LOVE. So you can be a expert, provide excellent content and you can make 5k a month working 3-4 hours per day on one website.

If you are 18 and chasing women (or men to be politically correct) taking the time to make nothing for 4 months doesn't seem to be worth it. You want money FAST and NOW, not in 4 months.

That means you will never make it until you believe in yourself and what you do.

IM me your websites/blogs and I will TRY to give anyone some advise.

1st thing DO NOT LITTER your website with google adsense. Make quality content then I will TRY to help

This was very good and very helpful infomation. I'm glad I stumbled into this thread. Thanks! :)

buymynames

small fish
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bonkers, I have to say... You're one hell of a domainer/investor/developer. I agree with domains value in development vs. PPC. I actually sold some of my PPC names to fuel projects that can generate bigger multiples. Not a PPC fan myself, rather grow...

After all, it's best to shoot higher, even if involves more sweat and time.

Good thread!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom