Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Asking before there is a problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I want to register a domain name but don't want to encounter any problems, so am asking for advice beforehand.

The domain name I want is similar to one that is spammed all over the Internet; it's a viable business. I want to replace the first part of the domain name they use with my own product. Neither word is a 'product' and is not trademarked, but it's recognizable.

My domain will do the same thing they do, only on another level (i.e. they sell Toyotas, I sell Motorhomes, both are used to sell a type of vehicle).

Without giving out specifics here, and I realize I'm being vague -- would I be in deep doo-doo if I registered the domain name I wanted?

I'm trying to think of a good example --- hmmm ... let's say the well-known website was 'buyadrink.com'. Let's say buyadrink.com was known all over the world as *the* website to buy drinks online. If I registered 'buyanxrateddrink.com' -- and sold drinks like they did, only x-rated drinks, would I be stepping on any legal toes?

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very vague ... but let me put it to you this way ... IF you were to register say, "DrinkAColdPepsi.com", and then SELL cold pepsi's from the site, my guess is that you'd be in very HOT water. Just one opinion.
Good Luck.

PS. I ain't no lawyer. :D

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The name I want to register is not a trademarked product name. Naturally I'm being vague because I don't want someone to grab the domain I want and hold it for ransom :)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OK. I think it'll prove very difficult for the legal experts here to provide specific advise about your inquiry WITHOUT the exact domain name. Up to you, but I doubt anyone here would "steal" it ... in my opinion.
Wish you the best with it.
:cool:

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You could PM the Domain name to someone here if you know anyone well enough and trust them.

I'd be happy to take a look and you have my word, I wont reg it.

Mike

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you :)

You have a PM

:)

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't have any problems at all but with the spelling, confusion is possible. The name also limits the products/content you could offer at your site. Would a more general term/word be better?

There are no matches on Overture or Google for this term.

Mike

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pam
If I registered 'buyanxrateddrink.com' -- and sold drinks like they did, only x-rated drinks, would I be stepping on any legal toes?

not sure about the validity of the domain you intend on registering but -RJ- might get mad if you reg buyanxrateddrink as he is trying to corner the market with his gaycola.com :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom