Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

automatic loss of domains' ownership if never used for a site in one-two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't agree

and, after all, the owner that don't use a domain, could be refunded of the registration costs by the new owner

Ah, so you support reverse domain name hijacking.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had this idea because, today, I've tried to register a domain for a low cost (but real) website (that doesn't allow to buy a domain at high price) and I've found all best TLDs of this name already taken but NOT used

surely, I can find and register another name, but not the name I thought be perfect for this new website
Shall we begin with your portfolio ?
To come up with such an idea, you must not own a lot of premium domains. Somebody who owns quality domains would not support Robin Hood policies.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if Google doesn't use GoogleSucks.com for 2 years they should be able to lose it and Microsoft can grab it? What about your child's name. You buy and hold the name for them, no site for two years, whoops, gone? What about a product with a 30 month development timeline? Why make it 2 years? Why not 2 weeks? Lets do the same with land. You don't build anything on your land for 2 years, you should lose it. What about a car or boat? Don't use that for more than a year, woops gone.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a bad idea as it would never worked.

No one own the domain name. You are technically lease it so as long as you pay the lease (renewal fee) you can do whatever you want or not doing anything at all.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Parking IS a website - it resolves somewhere and provides information/links correct? If I hosted the same content on my hosting account is it any different? Are you going to be the sole judge on what constitutes a real website - or does this just apply to domains you want to steal from other people?

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This whole discussion is ridiculous.

I am left looking at my screen in a daze wondering how people even manage to put their shoes on each day.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GoogleSucks.com

if Google doesn't use this domain for two years that means that it sucks, so, other can use it

"your child's name"

just use it for something

"a product with a 30 month development timeline"

just go online with a Beta

"Why not 2 weeks?"

clearly too short

"don't build anything on your land for 2 years, you should lose it"

a land isn't a domain, it hasn't a name, so you can build your things everywhere

"a car or boat"

probably, someday, it will be applied to old cars, since the space inside cities isn't infinite

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is ridiculous

it isn't ridiculous to try to create millions real sites with real business and real jobs from dozens of millions of good, but unused, domains

it may start a multi-millions dollars market and also increase the value of domains that can be sold with a real site

Reaction score
I am left looking at my screen in a daze wondering how people even manage to put their shoes on each day.

I finally discovered it's socks *first*. So much easier now. :)

elius

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the land analogy is perfectly fine because a plot of land is a location and so is a domain name. It's just like you are walking down a street where you want to build your house on and when you see some undevelloped land you want to change ownership rules so you can take them over.

There are two obvious solutions to your problem. The first is to try to change ownership without changing the rules. In other words, you try to buy the piece of land/ domain name.

The other solution is that you adjust your expectations. The fact that you think a certain location is ideal for your website/home doesn't grant you any rights. If you can't change those rights by buying the location, you simply start looking somewhere else.

To summarize, the rules of the game give you enough options, no need to change the rules.

ps. I'm not even going to adress the problems of additional bureaucracy and legal issues. Nor will I adress your claim that your solution will increase business activity. You have no arguments to support that claim because they don't exist. Also, bad regulation can lead to business opportunities, but they don't make the regulation better. You always have to look at the cost at which you are buying these opportunities.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Trolling at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom