Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Average sale prices at Afternic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is not intended as any criticism against Afternic (which I either love or hate) but a general discussion of research methodology in the hope of elevating the level of usefulness of future reporting by this or any other company.

What brings this to my mind? I got a "News from Afternic!" e-mail from Afternic today from sender "Michael Collins", which (off-topic-ly) I think might better be replaced by something like "Afternic.com" as I very often delete spam visually by scanning only the senders and subject lines, and forget that Michael Collins is actually VP Marketing of Afternic. ;)

Okay, back to the topic. This is the part that interests me:

Aftermarket domain name sales continue to improve. Afternic is experiencing steady growth in number of sales and sale prices. The average sale price for domains sold on Afternic has increased from $829 for the last quarter of last year to $1157 for the most recent quarter and is currently at $1276 for this quarter.
It's actually a good news for us domainers that the number and prices actually go up. HOWEVER, quoting the "average sale price" does NOT actually support that statement (of a steady growth in sale prices). Reason? We could easily have a very different picture of sale prices with those numbers simply because a couple of big ticket sales are skewing the mean (or in lay person's term, average). This is also the reason why serious researchers look more into the median.

Of course, I could understand that this is not some information that is supposed to be accessed by the public. (I still remember posting the TOTAL sales of the "old" Afternic before they shut down: guess what? they only nested $2,120 from 19 domain names for the most of September 2002!!) And I know very well that this is actually a sales letter more than a newsletter, but I am just *very curious* about the sales trend, as after all, Afternic is one of the few major players in the domain broker industry.

Just some quick thoughts. I hope Bill (Kerr) or Michael (Collins) wouldn't mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom