Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Back to the first Auction Day and Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The turnout for Saturday's auction was poor. So we're going back to Sunday night at 7:00PM. The cutoff day to add names is Friday at 3:00PM CST.

The last auction went smooth as silk. The programmers have done an excellent job on the auction system. It is now safe for you to put higher quality names in the auction. The auctions will not improve if most everyone just puts their worst 2 names in the auction each week.

Upvote 0

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I meant to comment on how smooth Saturday's auction was. I didn't see a single hiccup in the system. I left after the $1 opening bid items were done, so I was wondering if the rest of the morning was as trouble free. Looks like the bugs have been exterminated and a great system is in place. Thanks for all the work that went into making this baby fly.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I, too, would like to applaud Greg and the moderators, programmers for initiating and supporting the "Live auctions"! I think the Sunday night move is a wise one. Also, I support your 'suggestion that we ALL begin to start listing our "better" names, and NOT just the ones we hope to get rid of. This holds true for the "DNF$" Live auction, as well ... which I hope will soon find a permanent home on Saturday late afternoons/nights (yes, I know it's 'date night ... but my wife still won't let me). :eek:
I'll be listing some of The Duke's finest names this Sunday night ... so save up those Paypal monies, folks ... and be sure to ATTEND!!
Kudos.
:cool:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
...I know it's 'date night ... but my wife still won't let me). :eek:
I'll be listing some of The Duke's finest names this Sunday night ...

Now it all makes sense.

Duke is a really a woman - and in fact - your wife.

This explains a lot about Duke. We always knew he was different - but we thought he was just *special*.

LOL :laugh:

(I'm sorry - there was no way in hell I was passing this one up)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This idea may not be workable within the pre-programmed framework you have set up GregR, but I'll throw it out there anyhow.

In an effort to attract a few more quality names, what if you allowed people to have a bonus 3rd listing IF the name and starting price were approved by yourself (or a 3-man panel) for inclusion. These should be higher quality names with reasonable starting bids.

The owner/panel would simply give you a yes or no answer on inclusion. No explanation required and no further appeals accepted. They might even throw out a good name if they thought the starting price is too high to attract attention. You wouldn't know the reasons so you would have to make your best effort to enter the best combination of name quality and attractive opening bid. Since it is a bonus listing, no one would have anything to whine about (though of course some would anyhow). Everyone would still get their two normal listings.

If you review Saturday's final results, you will again see that almost all $1 openers sold (and if prices were low it was usually because that was all the name merited). Of the dozens of names that started higher, only 3 sold - so obviously a lot of auction time and space is being wasted on overpriced names that draw no interest.

You might try this idea as an experiment and if it works, down the line you could consider having all over $1 starters submitted for approval first. Let people enter as many as they want, but only the ones that get by the panel would go on the block.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com

Now it all makes sense.

Duke is a really a woman - and in fact - your wife.

This explains a lot about Duke. We always knew he was different - but we thought he was just *special*.

LOL :laugh:

(I'm sorry - there was no way in hell I was passing this one up)

I have no idea what CH is talking about. Looks like his wife left the liquor cabinet unlocked again this weekend. :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's ok Duke. You two are just having a lovers quarrel. It happens to everybody. No big deal.

Should we call you Duchess from now on?

*popper takes cover*

LOL :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the record - in case any new members stumble into this thread....

Duke Of Earl - is someone I'm proud to call a friend - and one of the most well respected members of this forum. He also happens to be a person that can take a joke - as well as dish it out.

So the fact the we have just discovered he is really a woman - will have no effect on her status here! :D

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
I have no idea what CH is talking about. Looks like his wife left the liquor cabinet unlocked again this weekend. :D

I was just joking!!! :D
Duke is a Man's man ... and I am simply a man whose wife will not permit him 'to date. Duke is one of the most HIGHLY REGARDED members on this Forum, and for that matter, the entire domain space. Believe me. And, Namepopper is the BEST moderator there is in the business! Bar none.
Have a great night ... now, where'd I put that chocolate milk.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
BIG thanks to Greg, the moderators and programmers, and all of those that were able to ATTEND tonight's (Sunday's) "Live Auction" ... we had a blast! :cool: Thanks to the buyers, as well.
This was MY first auction ... and special thanks to famed member, GeorgeK, who got me logged in lickity split! It's a LOT easier than you think!! Trust me.
I'm sure the stats are forthcoming, but I can tell you now first-hand, the activity level is fast and furious, yet not overwhelming. I think it's perfectly suited for the typical domainer. Be sure to log-in next week and experience it for yourself ... it's worth it!! Truly.
Thanks, again ... and take care everybody.

EDIT: PS. I should also mention the fact that I *sold* two (2) domains ... for $42 in THIS particular auction! The "Platinum membership" is $49.95 per YEAR. I can only speak from personal experience, but I'll let you "do the math" and decide if it's a good investment, or not.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This announcement is obviously great news for those on CST but for those on GMT (and others) it's bad news - 1 am is no time to be thinking about an Internet auction (not at my age anyway!)!

Is there any mileage in providing a 2nd auction designed for those on the other side of the "pond", or is that asking too much?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
This announcement is obviously great news for those on CST but for those on GMT (and others) it's bad news - 1 am is no time to be thinking about an Internet auction (not at my age anyway!)!

Is there any mileage in providing a 2nd auction designed for those on the other side of the "pond", or is that asking too much?

I have instructed the programmers to make proxy bidding amost as high a priority as Snapnames. Hopefully it will be in place before the next auction. Then you can place your bids at any time. It just won't be as much fun. :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the one night a week auction becomes too crowded with listings, we'll go to 2 auctions a week with one being a more favorable time for GMT members.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
If the one night a week auction becomes too crowded with listings, we'll go to 2 auctions a week with one being a more favorable time for GMT members.

I don't know how to make the "icon" ... but THUMBS UP!!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr

That's easy - allow 4 names instead of two :D

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Proxy bidding may not be as much fun, but it means mroe buyers. Though the auction is fun, the sellers want the best $ possible. On the downside, there may not be as many bargains as there has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom