Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Basic Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomianJay

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anybody want to share their formulas or techniques with me.. I'm new to domaining and could use all the advice that comes my way. Thanks in advance

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anybody want to share their formulas or techniques with me.. I'm new to domaining and could use all the advice that comes my way. Thanks in advance

here's my advice and it's for every newbie to domains:

first decide whether you want to be "spoon-fed", or you want to feed yourself?

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only register .coms. Don't register a name with a hyphen in it. Don't register a trade mark. Don't register stupid/incorrect grammar phrases like "WidgetsForSell". Don't register "numbers for words" like "Widgets4you2" or text speak like "Widgets4u2". Simple reason, lest it not be obvious, you can't pass the name on by word of mouth.

Are you just wanting to buy and sell names or are you wanting to develop sites? If simply buying and selling, remember anyone can come along and register the name you just registered. I often see names for sale, frequently for daft money, where I can get two or three *better* names with five minutes searching, so why would I pay big bucks for the other guy's name?

I think you would be much better developing a site, but PLEASE don't make it the 11 billionth directory!!!

Good luck.

Fabbstar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only register .coms. Don't register a name with a hyphen in it. Don't register a trade mark. Don't register stupid/incorrect grammar phrases like "WidgetsForSell". Don't register "numbers for words" like "Widgets4you2" or text speak like "Widgets4u2". Simple reason, lest it not be obvious, you can't pass the name on by word of mouth.

Are you just wanting to buy and sell names or are you wanting to develop sites? If simply buying and selling, remember anyone can come along and register the name you just registered. I often see names for sale, frequently for daft money, where I can get two or three *better* names with five minutes searching, so why would I pay big bucks for the other guy's name?

I think you would be much better developing a site, but PLEASE don't make it the 11 billionth directory!!!

Good luck.

Good advice! And yep, a good domain is cool, a good domain with a site/traffic/revenue is better

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In addition to all of the above clues; If you can still find any generic /dictionary word of two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine letters word, two words are also good if they are from good niche of say health, fitness, insurance, mortgage, mesothelioma etc and keyword with good searches of say 1000 and should also consider those with low competition and the CPC should be around $1 among those niches are good.
However, make sure you are buying the .com as a beginner, make sure the domain you are buying are those you can develop incase you don't have buyer on time.

Cheers.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this forum. Read. Don't get hyped up. Conserve yourself.

Read dncollege.com and torontodomainer.com. Torontodomainer.com is entertaining. Other blogs as well. Keep your money. Don't buy to much or not yet. Once you read enough, you'll realize that many of the info are repeated over and over. Then you'll know you've learned. Whether you'll be making money, that's another thing.

I wasted lots of money on cctld. Learned my mistake. Stay away from cctld, unless you're in Canada (.ca) or a few other ones.

Stick to .com, at least from the start. You stay long enough, you'll get lucky. You'll sell one good one. Good deal, you say. You'll start to feel domaining is so a great thing. It'll make you millions of bucks. Don't jump up and down yet. Don't rush to buying too many more names. I sold my first domain in less than 3 months. That's what hyped me. That's what lead me to keep on buying more. Not a good thing. Better to reserve your capital. There's always good deals, even better deals for you to jump at. The's when your reserved capital comes in handy.

And have fun. Lots of fun.

novatheory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining is addictive, watch your self. Know went to say nay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom