Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beef.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
O.K. so what's up with Beef.com? We've heard that the name has been sold for 150k... but, we also know that the seller has been asking for at least 2.5 million.

In fact let me quote him:

"Please be aware that, as the registered, legal owner of BEEF.com, I will not be considering a negotiation on any offers that do not begin at or above $2,500,000 (US)."

http://web.archive.org/web/20030527023045/http://www.beef.com/

So, what happened here? From 2.5M the price ended up @ 150k??? That's an awful steep reduction in price, which just goes to show you, whatever it's going to show you :)

I personally believe that 150k was way, way down. How many of you would have sold it for just 150k? I certainly wouldn't. And in fact, I am dumbfounded that some big American meat industry plant, processor or a distributor; or even a Burger King or McDonalds, or some big Steak House chain, hasn't bought that name for at least a MIL?

Your thoughts?

P.S.

Is the seller, by any chance a member here?

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i suspect you are seriously overevaluating the health of the domain industry. Names like business.com sell for millions, names like beef.com do not.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i suspect you are seriously overevaluating the health of the domain industry. Names like business.com sell for millions, names like beef.com do not.

Isn't the name BEEF.com, just another name for MEN.com - which just sold for a MIL ? :)

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
draqon said:

Moreover to your point... I sincerely believe that Beef.com is worth much more than 150k, which is a pocket change for the name of that nature and meaning.

For example, retail Steak House chains like "Tony Roma's" , "Texas Long Horn Steak House" , "Ruth Steak House," , "Outback", or whomever else... spend 150k for a few prime time 30sec. TV commercials?!?

With the name like this, they could have had one big PERMANENT commercial running 24hrs. a day, and that way use it to further penetrate their brand into America's mind/stomach consciousness, around the clock.

Sometimes, it amazes me to see where the priorities are to some so called "business people."

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, the (buyer's) new registrant's address is given as:

Beef.com
29 Retirement Road
Nassau,
Bahamas

Hmmm, I wonder if that road there really exists, or is the new owner onto "something" here?

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is some of the "beef" you get in steak houses these days is probably "woof woof" or "nay nay" (if you know what I mean). Using beef.com could be improper advertising :D

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
The problem is some of the "beef" you get in steak houses these days is probably "woof woof" or "nay nay" (if you know what I mean). Using beef.com could be improper advertising :D

:) It wouldn't be the first time that the companies are engaging in false advertising.

Anyway, that's the precisely why they should use it. They could control the impression and the image of what the BEEF really is - and specifically, how good and different they are...

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BEEF........it's whats for dinner.
:cheeky:

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainProfiles said:
BEEF........it's whats for dinner.
:cheeky:

EXACTLY! I've seen their commercial, and I've seen their great site > > http://www.itswhatsfordinner.com/index.asp .. which was registered for 5 bucks

Whata cheapos... They wanna spread a gospel, but they don't feel like spending some money... Ridiculous!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
d:)
They also own beef.org so maybe that's why they don't believe they need the .com

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainProfiles said:
d:)
They also own beef.org so maybe that's why they don't believe they need the .com

Maybe, all I know that If I was one of those Steak House franchises, I would buy Beef.com for 150k, which is not much money really... and use it to promote my franchise, my restaurants, my business... and implant my ideas and goals into people's subconciousness.

So the next time they drive by my franchisee, they will stop by and have a $ 75 dinner there, as opposed to pass by just to have a Ceasar Salad somewhere else...

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The word "beef " at Google comes in first with there .org domain

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainProfiles said:
The word "beef " at Google comes in first with there .org domain

That's subject to change.

Most importantly, virtually all the "type in's" first go to .COM

And finally, it does not matter the Google rank. It matters that I could promote that domain as an online "vehicle" for my franchise, much easier and much more memorable, than I could do it with "TexasLongHornSteakHouse.com"...

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with elusive kudo here.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Because, not only I could use BEEF.COM to promote & re-inforce my brand and my business to my existing customers, but also to CONVERT those "type in" visitors, who otherwise might have never visited my franchise... if it wasn't for the content, idea, message, feeling and experience I will offer them when they stumble to my website.

Ultimately, I could strive to project my franchise as a synonim for BEEF, good beef. So, the implanted, subconscious idea in average mind will be to think my franchise, when they read or hear or say the word - Beef.

That is the type of message that is worth much more than 150k.

150k is a ONE DAY take, at any of the popular & busy steak houses!!!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
elusive_kudo said:
Most importantly, virtually all the "type in's" first go to .COM

Can't say that I've ever typed in beef.com, though.

Besides, not sure how targeted that type-in traffic is for branding foodstuffs or restaurant chains...

...the second related type-in term is: "beef.com gay" :undecided

I'd have given him a couple hundred bucks for it (j/k) :eek:k:

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
Can't say that I've ever typed in beef.com, though.

You are just one of the 300 Million Americans, or about 500 million native English language speakers. So, just because you didn't typed it in, doesn't mean that somebody from those other 500 MIL didn't either.

First 10 pages in Google, all produce relevant beef-as-in-food results, and not some gay associations. I stopped looking after 10th page.

99% of the people in English speaking world, when they think BEEF, they think food. How's that for relevancy...

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
elusive_kudo said:
How's that for relevancy...

Hey kudo,

You defend it like it's your kid or something ;)

No need to argue. The Overture type-in is only 1740, so at most that's a VERY small percentage of your 500 million. I don't think anyone would make very much $$ from this domain --aside from a VERY EXPENSIVE marketing campaign.

Cheers,

Wesley

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
elusive_kudo said:
For example, retail Steak House chains like "Tony Roma's" , "Texas Long Horn Steak House" , "Ruth Steak House," , "Outback", or whomever else... spend 150k for a few prime time 30sec. TV commercials?!?

Unfortunately, 99.99% of marketing managers will invest in commercial rather than a domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom