Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Best name you have for 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you have a name that a knowledgeable domainer would rather have than 5K in cold hard cash, then send your name(s). There is no need to do any explaining, unless there is traffic or revenue that helps the value. It is real simple here. If I would rather have your name than 5K in cash, then I will trade you cash for the name. I may buy multiple names at 5K, and I may buy zero. I may buy the first day of this thread, and I may buy in three weeks. The better the name, the more likely the chance of a deal.

I will pay out 5K on my end. No extra for fees. No extra for Escrow. I guess I will pay a $25 fee if I wire you the money. If we agree to PayPal and I happen to send money that way, whatever you get is what you get. The bottom line is that if I do a deal I don't care how we go about doing it (within reason).

In general, I prefer Go-Daddy. I almost certainly will buy a dotcom. If you send something other than dotcom, it really needs to stand out. I will obviously go with the best deal(s), so expect no response. However, I may respond to some that I am not interested in, so don't get too excited if you see a PM. There may be close calls that I do not respond to. So, don't be offended by "crickets". And if the name is a close call, but not quite a 5K name, I may offer a lower price. You can hold firm and risk losing the sale, or you can negotiate.

Do you want to do some deals, or is this just going to be a place where people try to rob others with asking prices that they would NEVER pay anywhere near if they were buying the name themselves? It doesn't matter to me. I have lots of business opportunities. Are there any examples of seasoned or well known domainers ever selling a name to someone on a forum where the buyer gets a good deal, or is the domaining world just scam central where people overvalue their names and think that the highest offer they ever got during the good times means that they can never sell it for less that that out of date offer? Anyone who mentions that they received a higher offer before will not be taken seriously. Unless you think that domains are the only asset in world history that have never gone down in value, then keep that nonsense to yourself.

If you mention Estibot, or appraisals of any kind, you will be kicked off the island and your friends and family will abandon you. Don't mention Google searches. The only info I need is traffic and revenue, if it applies to the name, and it better be type in traffic, or I am likely not interested.

Catch me now while I am in a buying mood. I can get discouraged pretty quickly when it comes to forums, so you need to strike now while there is a potential buyer who is looking for deals.

Send the good stuff, not the cream of mushroom soup. That's what I used to do when I was in grade school when we had to donate food during a food drive. I went right to the back of the cupboard, of course passing up the chicken noodle that I loved, and picked the soup I never ate....and donated it. That is what most domainers do, and that is called being a lowlife and a loser. I changed my ways, and now I know how the world works. You have to offer a product or service that you yourself would actually buy at that price. It is very simple. That is what winners do. So, send only the chicken noodle soup.

And if you are feeling pain when you sell the name for 5K, then you know the deal is fair, because you gave up something of value. You can send more than one name if you like, but no spaghetti tossing. You know what constitutes a good name.

WhoDatDog

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

benn

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You must have caught me in a good mood to consider this for 5k, but I'll offer:

catseat.com

Premium 1+ word dot com, well aged (more that some domainers!), so many exact matches that Google can't count them, AND includes a cat. If you buy today I'll include the seat too (as pictured on landing page). Buyer pays vet fees and cleans the litter box from now on.

:)

nur

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
PM sent.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Over 15 separate PM's so far. I don't see anything that I feel would put me in a better position if I gave up 5K. Some examples that I am passing on are below. Each of these examples is from a separate person, if you can believe that.

LondonC.com
SheSly.com
Stabilised.com
Parallelly.com
CBDAAgent.com

I'm not trying to shame anyone, but all but maybe two PM's had consisted of names like this. What is interesting, is that I have had reasonable success here buying low value names, and will actually get some good names sent on when I put up those threads (and I am always looking for good names). I think that maybe those with valuable names are just looking for take advantage of newbies here. That is what I suspected. When they meet up with someone who knows what's going on, they don't come with their bullshit.

In the real world, 5K equals 500 hours of real work, and you would need to clear 10 per hour. So, for someone to spend 5K, you are asking them to give up the equivalent of over 12 weeks of work at a retail or similar job. That's how much of the United States lives. It is probably closer to 600 hours of work at the low end jobs.

The funny money days are over boys. Reality needs to set in. Remember the glory days, when people put up threads asking if anybody has ever lost on a domain purchase? I saw a few threads like that 5 or 6 years ago. People said...don't be silly, why are you putting up a thread asking if anyone has ever lost money on domains? Domains only go up. A similar thing happened with those idiot poker players, sitting around in their underwear cheating everybody on earth, playing at the same table as their friends, and colluding against everyone else. It turns out they were all FRAUDS. I'm talking every single one of them, even the biggest names in the game, turned out to be frauds. Stunning stuff. Scammers on the loose.

I am still looking for 5K names, and I am still looking for any and all names of lower value where I can reasonably feel that if a little good fortune, or some decent effort on my part, that I might make some money on the purchase within a few years.

Thanks for sending. Keep sending, but people need to wake up. A good business deal is when both sides give up something of value. These are some one-sided deals coming my way. I actually believe that most don't know any better. It is true that when you own a name, you tend to value it more than you would if you didn't own it. That happens in the stock market as well. People buy a stock and they immediately spin everything in their favor, and overlook lots of negatives. There can be some bloodbaths there, as people tend to go down with the ship, being true believers right until the end where they lose it all. It is only after they get some distance on the horrific event where they lost their money, that they can see how blinded they were.

I need to come up with a word that describes the bias one has once he or she he owns a name. It is a very real part of domaining. In fact, it might be the least talked about aspect about domaining. It basically has ruined all of the forums in very short order.

No more speeches. At least I am avoiding the appraisal threads, where I tend to award lots of zeroes.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There have been a few reasonable names, but 95 percent are not in this universe. You know, the universe in which I am typing this and you are reading it. In that universe, the one based in the only reality that we know, these names don't pass the test.

If you simplify it so that you imagine that you are offering me the choice of 5K in cash, or the name you sent, then you cannot possibly believe that I would not snap up the cash immediately. In about 30 minutes I will be heading to lunch. I am going to trade 10 to 15 dollars for a meal. Right now, if someone offered me 10 to 15 dollars in cash or a meal that I enjoy, I am taking the meal.

One other thing to note. Once in a while I will show interest in a name or names. I may be buying them on the name alone, and not as PPC names. Most names aren't PPC names, anyways. Through the years I have seen some strange, and often dishonest bullshit. People who have had the names for years will say that they don't know how much traffic it gets. Others will grudgingly mention it, while being defensive about why the traffic and revenue doesn't matter.

I've never seen anything like it. It reminds me of the losers and scammers who always mention that they have an offer by way of PM. Total garbage that I would wager my whole life against $10 is a lie over 50 percent of the time. I have even seen this with 5 figure names, where some scumbag will mention a big offer. Then, later the name sells for less. Oh well, the offer fell through.

This white lie and shadiness is the reason domainers generally deserve zero respect. It reminds me of poker players, who are the ultimate scum of society. Many of them are educated people, and they are constantly trying to justify themselves looking for respect in normal society. Most, if not all, poker players offer zero to society, and that is why even with the WSOP on ESPN they can't get normal advertisers.

Can anyone give an example of a valuable domain name that they sold, where at the moment they sold it, they were putting the buyer in a better position than if the buyer had been offered cash instead of the name? The ratio is 100 bad deals for the buyer for every good one.

When sending these names ask if yourself if you truly believe that one person out of 7 billion would rather have the name than the cash. A good deal is one where you feel a little regret because you are giving something up of value, and I am feeling a little regret because the cash has value. If I bought some of these names for any price at all, the sellers would be rejoicing in the streets.

Keep-em coming. I don't mind searching for a few gems. No offense to anyone, but good business is when you offer a product or service that you would buy yourself at that price.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It already exists. It's called the "endowment effect." See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect

Yes, that is it. It is true with everything. You know that some people have ugly babies, but the mind would never allow a mother to think that her son or daughter was ugly. But maybe there is a term we can come up with that is specific to domain names. Every single one of us overrates our names, at least to a degree.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of great names so far. That is to be expected. There are some decent names, but the asking prices are many multiples of what could be had if they listed the names in a thread here today. The way I see it, is that the most knowledgeable domainers in the world either post or lurk here. Now, if someone is trying to sell me a name for 5K that could never sell here for $500, or even $50, then they are overvaluing the name.

You can take one thing to the bank. If you cannot sell a name here for a few hundred if you listed it in a thread today, it is not worth 5K. I don't care if someone emails you tomorrow and buys it for 5K. If you have a bag filled with 100 balls, and 99 of them are red, and one of them is black, and the the only way to get 5K is reach in and grab the black one, with zero being the result if you pick out a red one, then that reach into the bag is worth 5K divided by 100, or $50. You have a one percent chance of getting 5K, and a 99 percent chance of getting zero.

It is stunning to me that people think that the best case scenario represents the value, as if the best case scenario is guaranteed to happen tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators