Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Beware of Registrar "Pacnames"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Registrar Totalnic is now renamed Pacnames!
These people effectively hijack your domains and withold your right to move them with "Registrar-Lock" which they will not remove.
They even invented a non-existent email address and removed the correct telephone details for the Registrant contact of my domains (tel. no. now shows +00.000000000 in contravention of ICANN policy). They also changed the login details for my account without informing me of any of these changes!
Has anyone succeeded in gaining control of names out of Totalnic?
If so how did you accomplish it?

Update 23/11/2004

Pacnames have at last provided a means of unlocking domains from their interface, it would appear that transfer is at long last going to be available.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
These people effectively hijack your domains and withold your right to move them with "Registrar-Lock" which they will not remove.
They even invented a non-existent email address and removed the correct telephone details for the Registrant contact of my domains (tel. no. now shows +00.000000000 in contravention of ICANN policy). They also changed the login details for my account without informing me of any of these changes!

Funny you should mention them... I just got 2 emails from them saying to renew names I transferred away long ago.

It may have changed but with TotalNic the deal was this: Their terms of service fine print contains an agreement that you will NOT transfer the name for 180 days after purchase. That violated the Snapnames TOS, so you had to email them telling them to unlock the name (after 60 days) *AND* tell them you got it under the Snapnames agreement. They would reply a few days later and all would be well, HOWEVER, the unlock auto-relocks in 30 days, so make sure you attempt that xfer right away.

Good luck...

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:

The same has pretty much happened to me recently during an attempt to transfer. There is no unlock utility nor were they any help on the phone. They simply stated that they could not do anything with domain names for a few weeks due to the company changeover. They then said that to check back in that time and hopefully they'll have something up and running.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My domains have been with them for 2 years (if only I had known), so no excuses on the 60 or even 180 day front - in simple terms they have hijacked my domains and refuse to give them to me!

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GodBlessYou said:
man, all these domain places are giving me the creaps.

That's the primary reason I've consolidated most all of the 700+ domains I own/manage. Only have a few stragglers left to consoliate in.

And as an added benefit I'm finding domains I'd long forgotten about ... just found another one yesterday :)

Ron

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Only have a few stragglers left to consoliate in.

Exactly what I'm doing - or at least trying to do!

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
That's the primary reason I've consolidated most all of the 700+ domains I own/manage. Only have a few stragglers left to consoliate in.

And as an added benefit I'm finding domains I'd long forgotten about ... just found another one yesterday :)

Ron
Where have you chosen to consolidate; may I ask? :huh:

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me I'm consolidating with Enom, at least they respect that they are my names not theirs!.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consolidated them with BulkRegister.com - had most there already ... been a member there since around 1999 or so.

BulkRegister is not the cheapest, but their system just works ...

While enom, etc are less pricey, BulkRegister's main business is domain name registrations - not all sorts of other nonsense like "drop" auctions, etc. Anyone who doubts that ... pull up enom.com (or similar like GoDaddy, etc) and bulkregister.com in two separate windows - note the difference in emphasis; one has to wonder how registrars charging $6.95, etc earn a profit? Hard-selling extra stuff, hidden fees, cutting corners, and lack of service come to mind.

Not to say enom.com, etc aren't good (they work great for many folks), but rather explaining the reasoning of my choice of BulkRegister.

Ron

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with eNom myself;but was just wondering. One thing about them is they don't compete with their resellers. It may be interesting that they only recently have added features like hosting and club drop to their menu.

LogicalDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The floodgates have opened! We just got all our Totalnic names (including non-Snaps) safely out. Nothing notarized; no faxed paperwork of any kind; no threats or unpleasantness. Just unlocked them in the interface, submitted the transfers and waited eight days or so for them to be auto-gained. Amazing!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LogicalDomains said:
The floodgates have opened! We just got all our Totalnic names (including non-Snaps) safely out. Nothing notarized; no faxed paperwork of any kind; no threats or unpleasantness. Just unlocked them in the interface, submitted the transfers and waited eight days or so for them to be auto-gained. Amazing!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

At last a useable interface - transfer here we come!

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep.. this happened to me also.... had to email snapnames to get them to unlock it.

Avizion

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the warning Mr Webname, i wont be using these.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The story so far..... having seen that Pacnames had made it possible to unlock domains I logged in and unlocked my two domains. Initiated transfer to Enom but was surprised to see today that only one name had been transferred.
The second domain has been returned to Registrar-Lock (without my consent or authorisation) - my login no longer works and the "email your password" seems broke!
These people really are the pits!

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
neologist said:
I'm with eNom myself;but was just wondering. One thing about them is they don't compete with their resellers. It may be interesting that they only recently have added features like hosting and club drop to their menu.
I must retract my words now that I have discovered that eNom does, in fact compete with their resellers. Http://wwwsipence.com. :veryangry

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Isn't that just a retail facility?
I know this is a Pacnames thread. However, since I trumpeted eNom I had to put in my 2 cents. Of course, sipence is a retail site, but look at their prices!

Dark_One

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Warning i will be aware of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom