Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beware - SnapNames.com Using Fake Registrars As Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Despite being alerted twice to a very serious problem, SnapNames.com continues to use a fake Russian shell registrar as a partner, and as soon as you win the auction, the Whois admin email of your domain changes, and the registrar becomes unreachable. This has now happened to me three times in the last several months, and it's clear that it's an active scam setup to cherry pick auction wins.

Fake Russian Registrar (same company):
HaveAName.com
Domus.com
Domus-LLC.com

SnapNames.com obviously doesn't care about this problem at all, and refuses to help me. Since this is a repeated pattern of fraud, and both SnapNames.com and myself are based out of Portland, I'm going to file a criminal complaint against SnapNames.com with the Portland PD, I don't care if it's not the proper protocol for dealing with the matter. Obviously the domain will be reported as stolen to ICANN. None of this will solve anything, or get my domain back, but at least the issue will get put on to official record.

First it was the Wild Goose Chase to retrieve SnapNames.com wins (which obviously they love and encourage), now it's evolved into full blown fraud and theft. Aside from that, in the last two months I have also had to re-catch 2 of my own dropping domains with SnapNames.com, because the registrars would not grant me login access to my drop wins, or not allow me access to my transfer authorization code. Once caught for a second time, SnapNames.com will then send the re-registered domain to a new foreign registrar outside of US legal juridiction [Israel, South Korean, China, Russia, Romania, Indonesia, Turkey, etc.), once the domain lands there, the circus begins anew.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Someone else lost a domain to Domus as well. Seems that there are some bad apples out there.

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to file a criminal complaint against SnapNames.com with the Portland PD, I don't care if it's not the proper protocol for dealing with the matter.

Ask other people to do the same..

If SnapNames have an agreement with the other company, they should help you.
They know the issue for sure and they are not helping, they are part of the criminal gang.

Ask for updates on your petition on a regular basis like every month or so.

If there are more people than just you, they will definitely act on that.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I missed a spelling error in my original post: jurisdiction

This thread is a bit of a rant, but ink to paper is the only leverage I have at this point. Just maybe I can use that to get the domain back at some point down the road. I'll post the actual domain after I've reported it stolen through the proper channels.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had at domain at Domus once. I actually remember having trouble transferring it out, but I think the problem was solved eventually.

So basically what you want to do is; check the registrar before you bid, if it's Domus, stay away?

Edit:

The domain was 9r7.com, which I backordered from Snap back in April 2007. I don't think I had any problems with it.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Couple of month ago Snapnames was sending email to transfer quickly away from those because they will end their cooperation. Actually I was wondering why, because I never had problems to transfer from these (those are all same owner obviously), just requested password and easy to tranfser
http://haveaname.com/genpass.html
http://domus-llc.com/genpass.html
http://domus-llc.com/genpass.html

So I am surprised they would be using them lately - can you give one example domain ?

On the other hand I am unhappy with this group (4 registrars, one scum owner)
http://www.webbusiness.biz/
http://www.domainmonkeys.com/
http://www.domain1source.com/
http://www.getyername.com/

They are on my list of registrars I do not bid for domains caught there, then worse case scenario I lose 59 bucks

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't Domus owned by Denny ?

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I filed a formal complaint with ICANN, implicating SnapNames.com, HaveAName.com, Domus.com, and Domus-llc.com in the theft of my domain name. I also mentioned this is the second time it's happened with the same Russian company via SnapNames.com (albeit different moniker).

I also filed 3 separate complaints alerting ICANN to fake or invalid contact information in the WHOIS data for HaveAName.com, Domus.com, and Domus-llc.com.

I requested assistance in regaining control of my domain, and stated that I would like to file an official stolen domain complaint with ICANN (perhaps I just did that, or perhaps there is a form of some sort I need to fill out).

I would be absolutely shocked if I ever heard back from ICANN, and am fully aware the domain has been lost. Welcome to the jungle.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dumb Question: I don't have extensive knowledge in the technical aspects of dropped domain catching, I am merely a consumer. Am I correct to assume that the more registrars SnapNames.com partners with, the better chance they have at securing any particular dropping name? All of these registrars collaborate together in catching the same name, and whoever gets it wins the hosting contract? I'm trying to get a handle on why a dropping domain will be hosted with a reputable registrar, and then suddenly through SnapNames will land in the control of some extremely dodgy hosting company.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dumb Question: I don't have extensive knowledge in the technical aspects of dropped domain catching, I am merely a consumer. Am I correct to assume that the more registrars SnapNames.com partners with, the better chance they have at securing any particular dropping name? All of these registrars collaborate together in catching the same name, and whoever gets it wins the hosting contract? I'm trying to get a handle on why a dropping domain will be hosted with a reputable registrar, and then suddenly through SnapNames will land in the control of some extremely dodgy hosting company.

basically you are right, more partners, more success

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
basically you are right, more partners, more success

So it's more or less a large collaborative drop script effort? So the reason these "registrars" seems fake or extremely shady, is because some script writer tossed up a quick hosting company, and is merely aiming for as many SnapNames contracts as they can get, as opposed to profiting from hosting?

Most of these companies are offshore in tax havenish places. Is that because script writers tend to live or vacation there often, or is there another element to this?

adoon

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Despite being alerted twice to a very serious problem, SnapNames.com continues to use a fake Russian shell registrar as a partner, and as soon as you win the auction, the Whois admin email of your domain changes, and the registrar becomes unreachable. This has now happened to me three times in the last several months, and it's clear that it's an active scam setup to cherry pick auction wins.

Fake Russian Registrar (same company):
HaveAName.com
Domus.com
Domus-LLC.com

SnapNames.com obviously doesn't care about this problem at all, and refuses to help me. Since this is a repeated pattern of fraud, and both SnapNames.com and myself are based out of Portland, I'm going to file a criminal complaint against SnapNames.com with the Portland PD, I don't care if it's not the proper protocol for dealing with the matter. Obviously the domain will be reported as stolen to ICANN. None of this will solve anything, or get my domain back, but at least the issue will get put on to official record.

First it was the Wild Goose Chase to retrieve SnapNames.com wins (which obviously they love and encourage), now it's evolved into full blown fraud and theft. Aside from that, in the last two months I have also had to re-catch 2 of my own dropping domains with SnapNames.com, because the registrars would not grant me login access to my drop wins, or not allow me access to my transfer authorization code. Once caught for a second time, SnapNames.com will then send the re-registered domain to a new foreign registrar outside of US legal juridiction [Israel, South Korean, China, Russia, Romania, Indonesia, Turkey, etc.), once the domain lands there, the circus begins anew.

Good for you. I think you are being more than reasonable. You cannot give them the benefit of the doubt on this anymore.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Resolution pending...

DNForum does it again, and for the second time.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I emailed Snapnames with the info in this thread, and here is their reply:

========
Thank you for contacting SnapNames.com!

As of November 2008 we are no longer working with the three registrars in question. This was to prevent any further issues from occurring and no further domains acquired will be registered with these particular registrars.

Please feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions or concerns.

Jessica Duvall

SnapNames.com Support

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you saying DNF has stepped in to help recover the name?
Did you ask for this assistance or was it volunteered?

For a couple of months now I couldn't get any help with this. Last night the login and password details landed in my inbox. Oddly the sender's email address is still invalid (spoofed perhaps?). That is the second time now I've reported a rouge registrar hijacking at DNF, and in both cases the issue was immediately ressolved. Not sure who, how, or why though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom