Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Bill Gates - Talking About Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
davezan1 said:
Yeah but which domains exactly? You got some highly desired ones and then
there are some lemons.
:-D

I think all of mine are lemons or prunes. See what happens when you pick
all of the low hanging fruit. :-D

(Nothing like resurrecting a year and half old thread.)

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the article.

MediaHound said:
It was also Bill Gates who realized this famous comment:
"Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man."

(not that this thread really needed to be revived though)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
It was also Bill Gates who realized this famous comment:
"Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man."

(not that this thread really needed to be revived though)
I thought that was Rick Schwartz?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
byalik said:
he owns billgates.com, i don't know about the other one

billgates.com
Bill dosen`t own it.
Or what do You mean?

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This has to be some kind of a record - To revive a thread after 17 months!!! Still a good read - Maybe we should post it again every couple of years?

I think this maybe what Bill was hoping for with Internet Explorer (before the Justice Dept. chased them around for so many years) -

"Today if you type "yellowcab.com" into a browser, it takes you to the pages of a taxi company in the Los Angeles area. But the Web is becoming more personalized, and it's only a matter of time before typing "Yellow Cab" will take you to the pages of the Yellow Cab company nearest you or that you've previously used"

Just have the browser pull all searches and potentially remove the search engines from the equation? Maybe that is why they took so long to bring MSN up to speed as they were waiting to see how this worked out? Steve

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It really was an interesting read for me, thank you for reviving the thread.

M

mole

The Google link shows very dubious sources using that quote, to sell domain names.

But that's not the issue, things change over time - new extensions get released and grow root, search engines and not type-ins, become the single best way to navigate and find things on the web.

Old quotes don't die, they just look stupid :eek:k:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
....search engines and not type-ins, become the single best way to navigate and find things on the web.

Why do you think search engines are better than type-ins when type-ins are free ongoing direct traffic, there is no SEO work involved, and you are not at the mercy of a search engine, who could lower your rank or worse yet drop you from the index at any time.

M

mole

trader said:
Why do you think search engines are better than type-ins when type-ins are free ongoing direct traffic, there is no SEO work involved, and you are not at the mercy of a search engine, who could lower your rank or worse yet drop you from the index at any time.

Please clarify? Are you talking from a squat-on-domain perspective or from the end users point of view?

People don't surf the net to look at how nice your name is, people look for real content. The moment more people realise that the 2 must coexist, the better things get.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
trader said:
SE traffic can be easier to monitize than domain type ins.
It's free to acquire.

There are obviously pros and cons to both sources of traffic, but if I were to advise someone looking to work for themself on the internet, I would recommend they work hard at SEO tactics than invest in domain names.

Both are excellent ventures.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:
This has to be some kind of a record - To revive a thread after 17 months!!

Not all that surprising, really. The "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of every thread shows results without respect to time. For instance, a thread I was just reading has a thread from 2002, just begging to be read and replied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom