Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Brandable domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd try my hand at coming up with a good brandable .com

Based on appraisals for my first attempt
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=102405

What are the qualities that make for a really good brandable domain name anyway??

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Easy to remember is key , it does not neccesarily have to relate to the product , like monster.com does not relate to job search but the word monster is easy to remember.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are going to brand something it can be anything. I would stick with the TLD's .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info Others like .ws are just a waste.

tylerc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
If you are going to brand something it can be anything. I would stick with the TLD's .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info Others like .ws are just a waste.
Input appreciated but the question was
tylerc said:
What are the qualities that make for a really good brandable domain name anyway??
Yah I guess you could brand 'swddhotflug.com' but I don't think anyone would consider that a good brandable name - it's not easy to remember, spell, pronounce (and wouldn't sound too cool if you could pronounce it).

and would you really consider the ccTLD's .us, .ca, .uk, .de etc. as a waste?

jimbaggs

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Searchsix.com said:
Easy to remember is key , it does not neccesarily have to relate to the product , like monster.com does not relate to job search but the word monster is easy to remember.

easy to remember is good. hard to forget is great.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My take is that whether a domain is brandable depends more on the budget to advertise than the quality of the name itself. For instance, I could make even faghdfdffvg.com a household name with as little as $50 million. :-D

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Popular or capable-of-being-popular phrase with otherwise no compellingly or immediately obvious commercial application. For instance, BritishLady.com.

The "fun factor," with a word or words that have a usable meaning: for instance, FatBrain.com (read about that one in a book).

A proper first name, surname or name+word combo that has the versatility or appeal to be useful for business: AuntSally.com, Gringle.com, DotComTom.com, etc.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
DotComTom.com, etc.
Hmm ... Does it have anything to do with Tom.com? ;)

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something thats easy to remember.. and if advertised right... It'll be easy to remember ... get me ? :)

tylerc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

So where did I go wrong regging 'Tisbo.com'
It is short, easy to remember, doesn't relate to a particular commercial application, is actually a surname. I think it would be alot easier & cheaper to brand than something like 'faghdfdffvg.com '

MrFlicks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2RedStars.com
PinkOnion.com
GreenMoon.com
2BlueArrows.com

Would IMHO make good Brandable Domain Names as can be used for memory and can be used in small pieces of artwork Like the icon that companies lsuch as FriendFinder etc use in the Browser also.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's another slant on brandability -- the palindrome. My ID here is aZooZa (which reads the same backwards) and that's obviously good for a logo (mirror image the last Z). I sold azooza.com a while back for good money. I also have aKooKa.com. Just an idea into the pot.

Edit: I just looked at www.azooza.com and they have a logo done; they haven't reversed the last 'Z' but it's a fair logo I think. No content as yet.

jimbaggs

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
There's another slant on brandability -- the palindrome. My ID here is aZooZa (which reads the same backwards) and that's obviously good for a logo (mirror image the last Z). I sold azooza.com a while back for good money. I also have aKooKa.com. Just an idea into the pot.

Edit: I just looked at www.azooza.com and they have a logo done; they haven't reversed the last 'Z' but it's a fair logo I think. No content as yet.

i wonder what they're going to do with it?

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was supposed to be some charitable type of site, but it's been just like that for a while now. I see many domains that I have sold are not live -- no landing pages even. Strange stuff.

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many things come in to play – but it helps if the domain is short and easy to remember.

tylerc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kevin said:
Many things come in to play – but it helps if the domain is short and easy to remember.
Thanks for bringing us back to the topic of the thread Kevin.

Based on input so far it would seem that any domain name that is short and easy to remember is a good brandable domain name. There have been a couple suggestions for what makes a name memorable. Is that it?

MrFlicks said:
2RedStars.com
PinkOnion.com
GreenMoon.com
2BlueArrows.com
Personally I would not consider a name with a number in it to be a good brandable name. Was that 2RedStars.com or twoRedStars.com. That's almost as bad as having a hyphen in the name.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i sometimes just buy names on the fact that they are short and pronouncable and basically be used for anything.. for instance

voove .com
vinosa .com
takira .com
bangbo .com
hapsan .com
jaloos .com
nupon .com
acarax .com
antum .com
calacore .com
eluy .com
envasada .com
enventix .com
floxis .com

just a few meaningless domains ... some with offers over $2500..

tylerc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
namestrands said:
i sometimes just buy names on the fact that they are short and pronouncable and basically be used for anything..
That was my thinking when I got Tisbo.com
Thanks

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also ... watch for alternate spellings of the domain tisbo.com is good, but might be typed as tisbow or tizbo hence loosing some of it's value. for example i have fexer com but also registered phexer com to capture mispellings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom