Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Buying a pre-owned domain name can be very challenging...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buying a pre-owned domain name can be very challenging is an opinion expressed by Jamie Zoch on the Uniregistry blog.

He illustrates two clear points that the buyer may face while acquiring a domain name, both of which I can relate to. One of them is that buying is always challenging and often comes with many twists and turns. The other is that it sometimes takes years to complete a deal.

The first point of it being challenging is something that I would have to strongly agree with. Though, I believe that this is more of a feeling of frustration that one has to overcome in domaining and in any other sector of sales. However, there's another good point embedded in that in which it comes with many twists and turns.

I'm going to cover one experience I'm having of acquiring a domain that fits both of these to a T, but won't reveal the name as of yet because it's been in negotiations for a very long time; it's been about nine years now.

Over this time, I've had plenty of exchanges of trying to acquire the name. Some of them were not being able to contact the owner because he was on vacation, while the others were just long-drawn-out negotiations that led nowhere fast.

I've since put it into brokerage (@JLJ will be handling all future contact and negotiations on my behalf) and offered more money than the previous high offer as well as equity in the company. Nothing has been good enough. The broker asked if I had tried any other avenues of acquiring the name such as materialistic things that money just can't buy such as art wrapped in the deal. Never thought about it... but I wouldn't mind doing that, had I known anything about art to value it and package it in the deal.

At any rate, you can see that there is a bit of frustration, twists and turns, and taking a very long time to acquire the perfect name for a business.

Though, not all domains have been this hard to get. Sometimes I can merely shoot off what I'll pay for the domain and before I know it, it's in my account. This is probably that one exception to everything though.

Jamie Zoch goes on to address approach in the article and makes some very good points about how one should initially make contact to get a reply to other avenues such as using a brokerage service to cut the frustration out of the picture at the very least... and hopefully, the very long time as well.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

if,
the seller has sold other domains of similar caliber in the past,
maybe contact those buyers or brokers who got a deal done with that person.
they may have some tips or inside connect, which helped expedite their negotiations.

Good Luck!

imo....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good tip to follow for others to follow, @Biggie. Unfortunately in my case, it's a private seller that has owned the name since first registering it.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You also have to do your due diligence on the name. Look at whois history, see if there are any signs of the name being stolen. Check the backlinks on the domain. Check the DNP Score of the domain. Check for trademarks, view the archive.org listing; search for the domain in Google. Search for it in quotes in Google. There are a ton of other things you can, but if there are any issues with the 'pre-owned' domain, those will most likely bring up most of the more common issues.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look at whois history, see if there are any signs of the name being stolen.
This. This is one of my greatest fears. 😬

I would hate to put down a couple of grand, only to find this out and then turn around and do the right thing, eating the cost in full.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know of a stolen domain case where the current owner of the domain was able to get a refund. The marketplace did the right thing and made it happen so the actual owner of the domain got it back.

Of course you can always ask DNProtect to check things out, we are happy to check to see if a domain has been reported stolen.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know of a stolen domain case where the current owner of the domain was able to get a refund. The marketplace did the right thing and made it happen so the actual owner of the domain got it back.

Of course you can always ask DNProtect to check things out, we are happy to check to see if a domain has been reported stolen.

Never heard of that.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators