Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.ca as California - yes/no? Americans how do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totenmaske

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in Arizona (US) so I keep hoping Azerbaijan (SP?) will make registering .az extensions cheaper/easier for the same reason...

Domain Days 2024

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .ca already is very popular in Canada..and I'm sure the majority of Canadian internet users know exactly what it means. Many businesses and institutions I know use a .ca domain for their website. In fact, I would say Canadians know more about .ca's than American's know about .us names, even though this will change over time (.ca has been around much longer).

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .ca already is very popular in Canada..and I'm sure the majority of Canadian internet users know exactly what it means. Many businesses and institutions I know use a .ca domain for their website. In fact, I would say Canadians know more about .ca's than American's know about .us names, even though this will change over time (.ca has been around much longer).
Actually, .US has been in wide usage much longer than .ca. 2002 was just the "public" release. No offense GT (you're cool) but maybe they should award .ca to California and go with .can on Canada. kidding kidding

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope. ca picks up more steam on the Canadian exposure front.

Cmon you hoosers.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love my .ca but... just in case - americandream.ca

scizza

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont you have to be a Canadian citizen to reg or own a .ca domain?? If so, .ca is for Canada.

I once thought that someone was going to start an extension for each state such as .FL = Florida, .ga = Georgia, .pa = Pennsylvania, etc... Then i realized that it would be stupid....haha. There are enough domain extensions!!! (too many!!!)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

For sure. .ca is the .com of Canada just as .au is the .com of Australia.

Why isn't this thread titled, Canadians what do you think about it? :p

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Those .ca searches in overture aren't necessarily people typing in .ca, they might just be entering CA without the dot for California. Overture doesn't recognize the dot. So it is hard to do overture searches for .ca for this reason, the results are tainted.

You kind of missed the point. What people search for they also generally type into the browser.

Many of those .ca domains get traffic and a large % of those are US. Our Malibu.ca gets steady traffic and earnings and we've had a realtor offer us $$$ for the domain. And isn't that what this is all about:whoo:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Indeed Dropwizard and it's not all that difficult to get a .ca if you really want it.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that a lot of people searching for "Malibu CA" are not going to type in Malibu.ca, for example. For search purposes "Malibu.ca" might pop up in a search engine which is great if you own that domain, but from a pure type in perspective I don't think a lot of people doing searches for California terms using "CA" are going to type the term in with a ".ca" at the end. Overture would recognize a search for "San Diego CA" the same as "San Diego .ca", but it doesn't mean people are typing in "SanDiego.ca", so that is what I mean by 'tainted' results. It's hard to see what the top .ca sites people are searching for in Overture because of all the search terms with "CA" in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom