Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

CaitlinAngel.com & CaitlinVsAngel.com Going to Cause Me Legal Hassles?

Hibye

Level 2
Reaction score
At the risk of $24.38 I just registered the domain names CaitlinAngel.com & CaitlinVsAngel.com Will this cause me any legal problems if I either attempt to sell these domain names or just use them for parking? I could not get a straight answer from the trademark Office if 2 first names of famous people together or seperated by a "vs" is perfectly above board. Your thoughts?

Domain Days 2024

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the risk of $24.38 I just registered the domain names CaitlinAngel.com & CaitlinVsAngel.com Will this cause me any legal problems if I either attempt to sell these domain names or just use them for parking? I could not get a straight answer from the trademark Office if 2 first names of famous people together or seperated by a "vs" is perfectly above board. Your thoughts?
Hmmm why would you contact them? The law in question is the Anti cyber squatting consumer protection act.

I’m not she who you’re referring to in these domains though or how you plan on using them.

Hibye

Level 2
Reaction score
Your link doesn't work but your comment is my point. They're regular first names not like Beyonce. Even though I don't follow the WNBA or Womens basketball those 2 first names are well known. I just want to sell the domain names.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your link doesn't work but your comment is my point. They're regular first names not like Beyonce. Even though I don't follow the WNBA or Womens basketball those 2 first names are well known. I just want to sell the domain names.

cybersquatting​

Primary tabs​

Cybersquatting occurs when a person other than the owner of a well-known trademark registers that trademark as an Internet domain name and then attempts to profit from it either by ransoming the domain name back to the trademark owner or by using the domain name to divert business from the trademark owner to the owner of the domain name.
The elements required to establish a cybersquatting claim are: plaintiff's ownership of a distinctive or famous mark entitled to protection; defendant's domain name is identical or confusingly similar to plaintiff's trademark; and defendant registered domain name with bad faith intent to profit from it. See: 15 U.S.C. § 1125(d).
See e.g., DaimlerChrysler v. The Net Inc., 388 F.3d 201 (6th Cir. 2004); Nike, Inc. v. Circle Group Internet, Inc., 318 F.Supp. 2d 688 (N.D. Ill. 2004).

I am not sure what issue you are having with the link. But if theres a QUESTION with the trademark, then you should not target their content on the website or ads. Or you will risk the domains resulting in a lawsuit againt you at 100K each, which is what the law allows.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could not get a straight answer from the trademark Office if 2 first names of famous people together or seperated by a "vs" is perfectly above board.

I don't follow the WNBA or Womens basketball those 2 first names are well known. I just want to sell the domain names.
Hi

thread moved to legal section:

from those two excerpts above, one statement reads contrary if not contradictory, to the other.

i suggest you refrain from continuing to go down that path, in search of domain registration ideas.
you may look at it, as only a $24 risk,
but for any potential buyer, the risk is much greater.

just saying....

imo....

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even though I don't follow the WNBA or Womens basketball those 2 first names are well known. I just want to sell the domain names.

Okay, so how many other "first name" domains have you registered? Just this one? Gosh, what recent events could have caused someone, out of countless first names in the world, to focus on this one?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but missing the obvious context seems to be a common domainer blind spot.

Now, sure, I've defended plenty of domain disputes which involved principally a first name or a surname. Typically, those defenses have included arguments and evidence to the effect of "The Respondent has registered a lot of other similar names."

But if your argument is "I registered these names because Caitlin is just a first name" then the question is "There are a lot of first names. What other ones do you have (and when did you get them)?"

If you are found in a tree at night next to someone's bedroom window, saying, "Oh, I just like to climb trees" is not a complete explanation of what you were up to.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom