Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

calling all Pot Entrepreneurs! Did I hit a Jackpot?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many of us saw it several years ago bro, nobody is arguing the validity or scope of the market. I think 10 years is a bit long honestly, the market is here NOW and waiting 10 years is only going to make all your reg fee names that much more expensive. There are some decent ones but you just need to come down to earth a bit on your valuations. Just because you register it and own it now does not mean it's worth thousands of dollars all of the sudden, it does happen on occasion but if you count on that you may get discouraged quickly because it's certainly not the norm. Again, I hope you get rich and have an abundance of success :)

My advice is to be like a sponge and soak up all you can here, it can only help you on your road to riches. :cool:

Domain summit 2024

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no soliciting

Last edited by a moderator:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll give you $20 for the bakedgood ones :)

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i do appreciate the advice alot tho! seriously im learning a ton about domains and at least you guys are nicer than on all the car forums im involved in! I used to drive a BMW...assholes

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
haha well i appreciate the friendly advice. In retrospect, money really isnt the biggest issue for me and it wouldnt kill me to just hold onto these for a few years until .com domains become extinct (even the bad ones) and no one has caught onto the new extensions yet (never actually see that happening)....and by that time weed will be flooding the market. im interested to jump into the pot industry later on down the road so i wouldnt mind carrying these as luggage along my journey either :/

...just thought i could unload a few of these right now for $10,000 or more but its not looking like the time is right.

even if the market for Pot fully matures, I think you would be very hard pressed to sell any of these for $10k.

Keep in mind, domainers have seen into the future already and picked up all the premium Pot names,

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We prefer Benz's around here man :cool: lol

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
slightly lower than what i was hoping for. Would you meet me in the middle at $500,000? (kidding...well at least now i am)

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@urlurl how do you figure that these are not premium weed domains. I guess i am new to this and have taken a widely unique approach to domain hunting. What i have done is secure what i believe will be the future of pot as described in pot lingo of the future. I have been very keen to pick up on new pot related terms and i have incorperated all of them into my domains. its only a matter of time before the popularize. For instance, look up nugruns on google and let me know if anything pops up.... huge potential for mega traffic

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
according to these estimates, im sitting on gold...check theseout potproduction.com and click on the marijuana tab and scroll away.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just like lotto scratch offs, you can buy 20 $1 tickets and hope to win $500
or one $20 ticket and hope to win $1 million.
Domains are similar.
I value your port at around $150
just remember your 10 year timeline will cost you $900 in renewal fees each year, maybe more.
It would be better to do as another mentioned and "return" the domans to the godaddy, and buy one decent name for $1000
It will only cost you $10 to renew per year and you will have a easier time selling a good name instead of names anyone could have registered at any time over the past 10 years.

I spent four lonely days in a brown L. A. haze. -- Jimmy Buffett

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
see even jimmy buffett is down with the LAhaze.....

...im throwing all of these up for auction on go daddy because you guys are bugging me out. ill keep a few personals...maybe even personalJ.com lolllllll

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and as a side note, if the feds decide to simply drop marijuana as a drug and legalize its recreation use across the country, the gold rush for weed is going to be in full effect. Right now i think i am VERY early on the pot domain development. I see this being big once weed is big across the country. so far it looks like 6-8 years by my estimates

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at 10 years out you will spend around $9,000 in renewals. I don't see anything in that group that would get any significant exact traffic or could be used as a good brandable name. As I mentioned before people have been buying up domain names in anticipation of legalization for years... best to buy a few good names and sit on them.

I would suggest to do some more research and read the forums to see what people are looking to buy, what names have sold for and what sort of prices these names are going for.

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I first found out about domaining a year ago, I hand registered around 30 domains right away. Some people told me to try registering 5 at first and then seeing how everything goes the first month or two, but I didn't listen to them. More than several experienced domainers told me to save my money up for one premium domain, but I didn't listen to them. They all told me that if I sold anything that is hand registered it would be like winning a scratchers lottery ticket.

They were all right and I should have listened to them. I've managed to sell some of my domains for a total of around $400 and I broke even.

What I'm trying to tell you is that even if you might sell some of your hand registered domains, imo they are probably going to be $$ range and all you're going to do is break even or make a very slight profit.

Listen to all the advice you hear, and trust me, just concentrate on buying 1 premium domain instead of so many hand regs. It doesn't even have to be in this particular industry, you can search for other products that are easy to sell and ship online.

Now that I broke even, this weekend I will be completing my first premium domain purchase and concentrating on developing and selling it. It took me a year to learn this lesson, and I'm trying to save you some time and money so you don't make the same mistakes I did.

Start with your 5 best domains at first, and then expand if you don't believe me. Perhaps you have a rare eye for hand reg pot names, but you have to test if that's true first before making 50 more registrations. After all, if your 5 best domains don't sell then what will?

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I plan on holding onto MOST of these for at least ten years until the pot culture in america really picks up...
Hi,
This is the attitude of an investor (vs flipper), however I am sure most domainers think the same in the beginning, they are going to keep their domains for ten years if necessary, then cash out, and retire to the sun.
In reality it doesn't happen. The renewal fees are crushing, especially when you are not making sales and your domains are not earning revenue. I think you will drop or trim your portfolio at some point, it's just normal business, streamline operations, get rid of the dogs etc.
And I am not saying your names are all bad and none will ever sell. I don't know.
But many of your names are the creative/brandable type, they are not generic. So there is no shortage of alternatives I think. Keep in mind that everything you are able to register now is leftovers that nobody wanted for $10 (or less with a coupon). Selling them at a higher markup in the future is easier said than done.

If you say you are broke now, think about next year (renewal time).
Even assuming that a new industry is being born, this is not going to translate into a massive and sudden rush on the aftermarket domains. Sure, there will be some sales but not as many as you think.
The supply of domains vastly exceeds the demand.

Believe me domaining is addictive, worse than drugs :)

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of the names are truly relevant and I've been involved with marijuana since I was 15.

I also think the real cash will be in selling growing supplies (I.E. lights, tents, DWC buckets, nutrients and the like). I see domains like GrowShop.com, GrowLights.com, GrowSupplies.com being the most valuable.

Just my two cents..

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Welcome to DNForum.com

That was nice introduction.

However, Please note:

This section is to introduce yourself. It is not for Appraisal of your portfolio or for soliciting sales.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Good Luck!

Aluminum Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If $10k over 10 years is no big deal then it's worth noting that category killer hashish.com got plucked on name jet last year for under $10k.

It appears to me as though the pot market is on its way to becoming the biggest grossing market on this planet by a significant margin
The Great Depression and WWII spawned the Greatest Generation. When the pot market dwarfs corn or wheat we can stick a fork in the Greatest Degeneration (dot com available).

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Great Depression and WWII spawned the Greatest Generation. When the pot market dwarfs corn or wheat we can stick a fork in the Greatest Degeneration (dot com available).

California's biggest cash crop is marijuana. It's export is worth more than their legal counterparts combined. True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators