Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can a registrar deny you your lost login details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohntheDom

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can a registrar deny you your lost login details? One of my Domain Names has just expired.

Ages ago it was hosted by the rather notorious iPowerWeb.com who seem to work hand in glove with OnlineNIC.com in China, who seem now to be the registrar of the DN.

I lost my login details at OnlineNIC.com because of a computer crash (I now back up everything!), so I cannot renew MP3-Lookup.com. OnlineNIC.com & iPowerWeb.com just seem to be bouncing me back & forth between them, while I keep asking for my details.

OnlineNIC.com has now said:-

Dear customer,

We advise you to manage your domain with OnlineNIC directly. You may go to www.onlinenic.com and sign up an account, then you may login your account to add funds $25.8 by Paypal. Please go to “Add funds by PayPal” under the section “Account Management [?]” to add funds. The domain will be renewed for one year when we transfer it to your own account. Please let us know if you need our help.

OnlineNIC DomainStore (.EU Included) – Your one-stop ccTLD Solution!

OnlineNIC Opens .NAME 2LD Registration + Streamlines .NAME 3LD Price!

Yours Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

Customer Care for America Region

Customer Service Division, OnlineNIC Inc.

I don't want to pay $25.80 for a DN! Should they send me my login details if I ask them?
Thanks,

John.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Your domain has expired, therefore they act according to their policies.
Is the domain worth 17 euro to you? If not, let it drop.

JohntheDom

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. But is that all they'll need? I can't know that. Are they going to consider that as a kind of 'joining fee', then charge me more for the DN? I s'pose I can only risk it...

Would you? Anyone?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Why don't you ask them these exact questions?

Vinternatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, I suggest you to remove that domain name from your thread and wait for it to expire. If anyone don't registers it, you can re-register it for $8-$10. If you think bloodthirsty coyotes will get your domain, then pay the fees :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's in the post-expiration status. The registrar will still have it until it deletes (anywhere from 30-120 days from now). ICANN allows them to hold it until then and you can re-register it for the registration fee + a recuperation (or whatever they want to call it) fee.

JohntheDom

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. Here are my thoughts:-

Acroplex, I will do that.

Vinternatt, I've done that.

draggar, A recuperation fee. Right. No doubt they can ask what they want. I'm very wary of both of these sites that I've had dealings with on this. Why won't OnlineNIC.com just send me my darn details?

I wonder if I should try to transfer it to GoDaddy? That's where most of my DNs are...

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I should try to transfer it to GoDaddy? That's where most of my DNs are...

Theoretically you can transfer an expired domain name to another registrar. In
reality, it can be very risky if you're not completely familiar with the policies of
both the gaining and losing registrar, especially the latter's.

Unless you're willing to risk it, best renew now, then transfer out after 45 days
from renewal. There's a policy among registrars not to add an extra year to a
domain name renewed within 45 days after expiration.

JohntheDom

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, Dave, that's also helpful advice, which I shall reflect on.

Thanks a lot,

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom