Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Can age = price ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does a domains age have a big impact on value ? And if so, how old does a domain have to be to realise say $xxx based purely on age.

The reason I ask is I've just bought an expired name - nothing special about it other than it was first online in 1997 which makes it my oldest name. Could it be worth $100+ just on that, or do you think that it would take a few more years to 'mature'.

Jas

Domain Days 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vintage is a bonus but the value of the name lies elsewhere.
If the domain dropped the cold way and the creation date was reset in the whois, then there is little interest IMO, even though the existence of the name can be traced back to 1997.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
IMHO - age has absolutely nothing to do with value. Why would it? The quality of the name is what it is all about.

-Bob

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would have to be really really old for age to become a factor. Then the name become like a museum art peice. I would love to own something regged in the '80s.. or early '90s my earliest name right now is only '98. I'm trying to acquire one from 1994 but not because of the date but of value, but the date just puts a little smile on my face :)

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you find names regged early on, the only reason buyers usually pay a little extra, is because they get a boost in the SE.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with bob that the age of a domain has nothing to do with its value.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree with age has nothing to do with a domain "name" value.

But if the domain has a website that goes along with it, it will add more value then a single domain name will ever.

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rarethings said:
If you find names regged early on, the only reason buyers usually pay a little extra, is because they get a boost in the SE.

It has already been said but the top SEOs are always talking about the rankings they achieve with old domains. How long this trick will last nobody knows but because of this an old domain, in the least, has value because of the SEO potential, if nothing else.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^. Exactly. However, there is a cutoff point that I have found from personal experience, and it seems to be around 94-96. Anything regged past that still gets a little extra oomph, but anything before that time gets the "royal" treatment. (less work required for higher rankings).

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What makes a domain valuable isn't the age, it's the desirablility. That said, on average, domain names registered long ago TEND to be the more desirable names -- which is why top.com has been registered since 1995 but no-one bothered to register crappyDomain.com until this year.

So, overall, there is a correlation between age and valuable domains. But that doesn't make any one domain valuable just because it's old, unless like was said it's so old that it is part of Internet history, but I don't think you'll ever get a chance to buy think.com :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom