Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can anyone summarize all the potential legal difficulties a domainer can get into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I once paid 10,000 euros damages for a domain that earned me 7 euros. Having your domain taken away is not the worst case scenario.

That's just what I needed to know. Thanks Rob! Being a domainer is risky business it seems. It's ridiculous to have to pay that much for a domain earning so little. That's exactly the sort of thing that scares me from being a domainer. I know we have to take risks to be successful, but suppose I had a hundred domains earning me $7 each per year, and then something like that happened. It would be awful. Just.. awful. I feel for ya mate.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As long as you avoid TMs and otherwise questionable domains you should be fine.
I say 'should' because no business is without risk.

I would say that the most serious and common issue in this business is... wasting too much $$$ on useless regs.
But many if not businesses involve a higher level of risk than domaining imo.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That eases my worries a bit, thanks for the good advice katherine! I agree with everything you said. I never thought about the risks that other types of businesses involve - in comparison, domaining does seem more appealing. Being a tour operator, or a real estate agent for instance would involve higher risk. Coming from a webmaster background, domaining seemed alluring, but when I started reading the legal section of domain forums, it dampened my enthusiasm a little. I hear about cases involving simple acronyms, and it doesn't make sense to me for a company to sue a person holding a domain name that is an acronym for many different things. It takes just one bad egg to ruin the whole domaining experience.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I once paid 10,000 euros damages for a domain that earned me 7 euros. Having your domain taken away is not the worst case scenario.
Would you have feltr better if you won the case, but had to pay that price in lawyers fees!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom