Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Capital One lets capitalone.net go

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed - but whats $7-$10/y to a multi-billion dollar company. - it may cause more headach and cost by letting it go

some deviant in a foreign country (where the same laws may not apply) could pick it up and use it or exploit it. potentialy harming the company

maybe capital one is changing their name...lol

Embrand

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the auction at Pool just ended at $1,024. Will be interesting to see if it will return to Capital One or not.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
someone wasted a $1,000, unless Capital One is nice and offers them a small amount to get it back... but I doubt it... not worth the risk or headaches. IMO

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it`s a .net , anyone can go after and have a right to it, if Google drops its Google.com does not mean automatically they can have it back, it depends on what use you do with it and the fact that they dropped it its a very bad point on any future claim

are you insane?

this is the worst advice ever... and welcome to the real world. it doesnt depend what they use it for when its a clear trademark.

if google drops google.com it doesnt mean they can have it back?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it is usable for anything unrelated to the banking industry,if it were a shop selling shoes you would be o.k..............

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
are you insane?

this is the worst advice ever... and welcome to the real world. it doesnt depend what they use it for when its a clear trademark.

if google drops google.com it doesnt mean they can have it back?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

nah he is right it depends what you use it for,as long as the TM is not infinged in others use it for anything unrelated,there is nothing they could do apart from backhand the usual wipo/udrp suspects.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem is ... the words are generic but when they are put together they really are not. It becomes a blatant infringement on TM. There is no way you can win a UDRP case.

If you google the term and first few pages of google are ALL the same company i can assure you ...you have no chance.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nah he is right it depends what you use it for,as long as the TM is not infinged in others use it for anything unrelated,there is nothing they could do apart from backhand the usual wipo/udrp suspects.

you're wrong in this case.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets face it nobody paid $1,000 plus for the .net cause of the out of the box name...

*That being said I will stand corrected if someone can show me the new owner was operating a business of some kind under the name Capital One before he/she aquired the name.

JMO

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, he would be right.

Having a trademark alone and trying to take the domain away would be called reverse domain hijacking. It all comes down to USE of domain, or even worse - NON-USE of domain could get you in trouble too. The problem is, the bigger the company, the more money they have into fighting it so it is hard to win unless you really can fight them back. Take a look at Nissan.com as an example.

The problem is the board on WIPO would NEVER see it this way, that's why it would need to be dragged out to the higher courts.

Although, say your name is Joe Google. You do have a chance if you are not competing with what Google is offering, or was offering if the domain drops.

Truthfully this is what should happen. But what would happen are two very different things. :cool:

Last edited:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
still parked - owner overseas, i wonder what he makes cpc

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
worthless domain. its not worth much to the company, and they can easily get it back if they want it.

This is the correct answer. It also shows how weak the .net extention is......no need to tell me about the exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom