Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Cheap but Cheat - Stargate.com - Avoid it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cheap but Cheat - Stargate.com(stargateinc.com) - Avoid it!

I registered two domains at stargate last week, and the experience was unbelievable!

For the first reg, I had to try twice but both turned out errors, after a while I checked the WHOIS info, it said I had been already the registrant of the domain (amazing speed!) for two years! I sent an e-mail immediately, asking them to change the reg term to one year, then I went for the second one and paid attention to change the default two-year reg term to one year, and I also found that throughout the whole check out procedure, it never showed anything about the fees or reg terms for even once, only "one domain name registration".

I checked the WHOIS again, and surprisingly found that the name will be expired at April 2005! So I sent them another e-mail. The reply arrived exactly three and a half days later:

First reply:
Alia,
You would have needed to click the "re-calculate" button after changing
the registration period to one year and unfortunately, we would not be able
to credit you for this.

Sincerely,
Tim Folliard
Marketing and Business Development
www.stargate.com

Second reply:
You have to hit the "re-calculate" button as the period is default set to
two years.

Sincerely,
Tim Folliard
Marketing and Business Development
www.stargate.com

I sent this Tim four e-mails telling him that I had never been given any chance even to know the total fee of the order, but he simply decided to forget this trouble.

Meanwhile, I bought a name from a member here, and found it's at stargate, 60 days before expiration. To let the name stay at stargate is the last thing I would do, but stargate has also set other traps to prevent domains to be transferred away.

When I tried to edit my contact info of my account, there were only funny blanks without any titles, nobody can be sure which is for which, I guess it's a good one that has always worked for them to reject transactions. And stargate doesn't provide a WHOIS search (nor can you find it elsewhere), you must search the domain first, then click at the "not available" link behind the name to find the WHOIS info, and I found only the TLD of the domain I reg at stargate turned out an WHOIS error while the other TLDs worked perfectly. I have a bad feeling about the transaction of this domain, can anybody give me some suggestions?

I have purchased on the Internet for over six years, and registered domains at a dozen different registrars, but I've never seen such a dirty vendor like stargate, in my last e-mail I told them that my credit card company would refuse to pay the reg fees, and I'd do my best to warn everybody I knew, and if possible, impeach them to the authorities, but I guess they have got used to such threatening. I believe it's time to teach them a lesson.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alia,

Too bad that you have this misery with stargate. I never had any transaction with stargate so I can say much more, though thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
tw

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have security holes, and all kinds of script errors.

One of the many headaches: I registered domains, was charged, and even received the confirmation emails, but the domains were still available to register! Good thing I checked the whois after registerring. Billing dept. refunded my money, but I never used them again.

Get yourself an enom reseller account, or use an enom reseller that has a good reputation, like namecheap.com.

:)

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I got the respondence from their VP just 12 hours after this thread, let's see how they are going to solve this thig.

M

mole

Originally posted by alia
but stargate has also set other traps to prevent domains to be transferred away.

If it was a .INFO, you can seek the help of Afilias. If it is a .COM, good luck! :D

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

If it was a .INFO, you can seek the help of Afilias. If it is a .COM, good luck! :D

It's a .NET

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well .NET is the same as .COM - no-one really controls it.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Having read this thread, the best solution StarGate could offer was to let my two domains drop and refund me, and I accepted.

As the .net to be transferred away, I'll have to wait and see.

Quang

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OH! Ithink that I am the only one got problem with Stargateinc !!!!
It is VERY VERY BAD company. Service problem and security also big problem. Hasker can visit your domain account and change contact email easily.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am currently transferring my last domain out of there, let's hope there's no more traps ahead.

domains

ComDeals.com - World-class domains for sale.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not even cheap anymore. They just instituted an unannounced hike in the renewal charge. 12 bucks. Premium my eye.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, seems they are no longer attractive to any resellers.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
StarGate cancelled the two domains but I have never received any refund, and they never reply my emails. :mad:

The two domains are available to reg again, but when I checked my StarGate account, they were still there! What kind of registrar is this? I realize a member on this board named 'Tom' works at StarGate, please resolve the mess and give back my money!

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me suggest the following:
1- Report StarGate to the Illinios Better Business Bureau at

http://www.peoria.bbb.org/complaint.html

2- Since Star Gate Inc is ICANN accredited, you can report them to ICANN. Although ICANN doesn't resolve individual complaints, but they keep complaint on file and monitor the registrar closely. Here is the link to their reporting system:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

Any for the record, if you decided to contact StarGate directly, here is their contact info:

Stargate.com, Inc.
2805 Butterfield Road, Suite 100
Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
United States
Tel: 630-572-2242
[email protected]

Good luck :)

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Lwgik, just the information I need! :)

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I could help. Let's us know how it goes with you. Good luck :)

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks again pal, I'm afraid it's going to take some time :(

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Transfering a name away from stargate was the easiest registrar transfer that I have ever come accross. There was no approval email or anything it flew away into my enom account with ease in a few days. I don't know if I should be happy or count myself lucky. :D

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy
Transfering a name away from stargate was the easiest registrar transfer that I have ever come accross. There was no approval email or anything it flew away into my enom account with ease in a few days. I don't know if I should be happy or count myself lucky. :D
True, the domain had been transferred away just like that, long before I was aware of it. I never expected it would be that easy, there was supposed to be an spproval email or something, or anyone could just check the WHOIS and transfer any domains in stargate to a new registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom