Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Cheap states/countries to run an online business

Status
Not open for further replies.

- T -

drone.domains
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am an adventurous 22 year old single white male considering relocating from Pennsylvania, USA, to another state or country (for a few years or permanently, depending where life takes me). I would be setting up and running a small one-man online-only business, something I could theoretically do from "anywhere". I have a thirst for experiencing new things, and am capable of living on very little, so I've got a lot of options to choose from...

Some factors to consider:

- Must be small-business friendly (i.e. low taxes, ease of forming a business, etc.)
- Must have reliable internet and banking options, essentials for doing business online
- Must have an affordable cost of living... the lower the better, as long as my other requirements are met...
- I can live without many of my American luxuries, but would like a place that is somewhat American-friendly, somewhere I don't have to worry too much about being kidnapped, beat up, robbed or killed...
- I currently only know English, although I am open to learning new languages
- I like beaches and outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking and fishing, although none of these are deal-breakers by any means.
- I like having fun like any other 22 year old male, so having some nightlife/entertainment options would be nice...

Some places that I'm considering or have heard good things about:

In the US...

- Colorado (I've heard good things about the state - would like to know more about how biz friendly it is)
- Texas (no individual income tax or corporate income tax... I've heard good things about Texas. Austin might be nice?)
- Nevada (don't know much about the state or if I'd want to live there, but I've heard that there are lots of tax benefits)
- The Carolinas and Georgia, although I'm not sure how tax-friendly these states are

Outside the US... "cheap" is the name of the game!

- Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.)
- Europe (probably Eastern?)
- Central America (Belize?)

I don't need TV, cool gadgets, my own car, etc... just the ability to do business online from an apartment. I've read of places where one could live on, say, $500 a month, and I think that would be quite an experience, even if only for a couple years...

I would very much appreciate your comments, suggestions and advice! I'm sure most of you have seen more of the world than I have.

Last edited:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wasn't california an option?

- T -

drone.domains
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wasn't california an option?
There are some places, like California (San Diego in particular) and Vancouver, that I'm sure are nice places to live but right now I'm looking mostly at places with a low cost of living, particular tax benefits, etc, things I don't think California has to offer. If I'm mistaken let me know. The more money I can pump into the business, the better.

In India maybe? Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai or Chandigarh :)
Do you have info on the cost of living in India (USD/month)? I haven't spent a lot of time researching India as of yet.

Last edited:

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're worried about the wrong things here, at least for Asia.
- Must be small-business friendly (i.e. low taxes, ease of forming a business, etc.)
Most countries won't have a clue what you're doing if it's all online. They're way behind the US in that regard. Opening a business normally doesn't require a lot of regulatory work in Asian countries. Heck, even China makes it easier to start a business than the US does.
- I can live without many of my American luxuries, but would like a place that is somewhat American-friendly, somewhere I don't have to worry too much about being kidnapped, beat up, robbed or killed...
Again, expats in Asia generally have many more luxuries than they would in America. Even in the more expensive countries, like Japan, there only luxury that I miss from the US would be space - and maybe a little more anonymity.
- I like beaches and outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking and fishing, although none of these are deal-breakers by any means.
- I like having fun like any other 22 year old male, so having some nightlife/entertainment options would be nice...
Nightlife in many Asian cities makes the US look like small town Utah on Sunday night. Depends on what you consider nightlife, of course.
All of your requirements seem to point mostly towards Thailand, where plenty of internet people already live. It's cheap, plenty of nightlife, plenty of nature, reasonably safe, warm, great food and business friendly. Cambodia and probably even Vietnam might not be developed enough for your needs or tastes. If you live in Thailand, you can visit either easily enough on holidays. Another option might be the Philippines, but that's also less developed and more dangerous than Thailand. The advantage is tons of native English speakers and stunning "undiscovered" beaches.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you have info on the cost of living in India (USD/month)? I haven't spent a lot of time researching India as of yet.

Estimated cost of living in metro Indian cities like the ones I have mentioned above would be something like this:

1. Simple (with simple I mean an accommodation not in the middle of town) , yet tidy apartment on rent/lease basis for INR 5,000 - INR 10,000 ($100-$200). You should double this estimated price, if looking for a decent location somewhere close to middle of the town or a fully furnished apartment.
2. Basic amenities like internet connection, water & electricity bill etc can cost you another INR 5000 ($100).
3. Groceries, Food & Beverage monthly expense should be around INR 5,000 - INR 10,000 ($100-$200).
4. For traveling from one place to another within the city, you can buy a used motorbike or scooter for around INR 25,000+ ($500+) depending on condition and make..

These are all the expenses I could think of at this moment.. let me know if you need more info :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Costa Rica, Belize, Vietnam, West Coast of Mexico are all good options from what I have seen and read. Most of your central american countries should be included in your search including Hondurus and Panama. For what ever reason the west coast (Pacific coast) of these countries are less expensive than the east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom