Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Cloud domains entrap domainers once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hehe :)
Predictive domaining (or following the herd) does not seem to pan out well most of the time.

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you all saying that cloud is a fad and is going to be a waste of money, or are you just talking about the low quality domains.

-

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dunno if cloud is a fad, but embedding whatever fashionable keyword in a domain name does not automatically make it valuable.
Real quality domains are always rare, in every and any niche.

noncompare

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have both types (keyword prefixes and suffixes to "cloud" domains) and based on sales as well as inquiries, while the cloud + keyword pair is selling more than "keyword + cloud" names, they definitely get attention and a few sales, and aren't bad in the way that there's no interest or that it's a bad idea.

One example is Marc Andreessen's first company after Netscape in the 90's was called LoudCloud (later Opsware, but still), and that was in the 90's with a keyword that wasn't even very descriptive of a specific category. You can just imagine the value of these things today. Everybody tries to deny and even diss the "cloud" (even Oracle's Larry Ellison a couple of years back saying it was nuts, only for Oracle to start capitalizing on the cloud lately), but eventually give in to the obvious value in them, in this case, including good keywords with "cloud" in them, whether they be before or after the word "cloud."

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Are you all saying that cloud is a fad and is going to be a waste of money, or are you just talking about the low quality domains.

-

Since the actual usable keywords that relate to the business of cloud hosting are long gone, those that invest in second tier keywords are simply wasting their $$$

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since the actual usable keywords that relate to the business of cloud hosting are long gone, those that invest in second tier keywords are simply wasting their $$$

I do agree that the best keywords are long gone and that it might be harder to find usable domains at this stage of the game, but I think that there is still a small window of opportunity to find a few good domains if one is willing to look hard enough.

I have put some of my recent purchases in the appraisal section and I would very much be interested to know what some of the more experienced domainers here thought of them. I surely don’t want to waste my money.

-

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of the 3D threads :)

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yea all the good cloud domains have been taken a long long time ago.

People need to start putting themselves in the shoes of the buyer.

Are CloudStorage.com, Cloud.com, CloudSolutions.com etc. all valuable domains? Yes, because someone can use them.

CloudBall.com . . . not so much.

Domainers need to realize that once you've missed a niche (unless you plan on purchasing the great names) it's time to move on.

Skinny

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com & .net taken.
Missed the boat again.

cerno

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The good thing about people registering and developing backward cloud names is that they draw interest to proper names that someone with sense would want to use. A perfect example is my ForexC****.com domain that started getting hits and lots of whois lookups after C****Forex.com and .net got developed. The .com guy has since shut down his website.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree the best names are gone, but you never know if there's a gem out there. For example, look at when CamRoulette.com and ChatRoulette.com were registered, and what happened there. Sometimes a new technology or website gives a regular word new meaning and popularity. I'd just say be selective and put some thought into it, instead of regging 50 Cloud + any word domains.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yea all the good cloud domains have been taken a long long time ago.

People need to start putting themselves in the shoes of the buyer.

Are CloudStorage.com, Cloud.com, CloudSolutions.com etc. all valuable domains? Yes, because someone can use them.

CloudBall.com . . . not so much.

Domainers need to realize that once you've missed a niche (unless you plan on purchasing the great names) it's time to move on.

Skinny

If Cloud Solutions is considered to be a premium domain and Cloud Ball is supposed to be garbage (although you never know they might put all the clouds in one big cloud and call it cloud ball kind of like how inner cloud is supposed to be) then are there some domains in between that can still be of some use that one can still register.

I just got CloudSmallBusinessSolutions.com which although is a little long, but considering how small businesses can benefit from cloud in their own unique way this domain might be just right to define that sub category.

I also got CloudCorporateSolutions.com :)

-

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ongoing craze for cloud domains is exactly like the 3D/holo/AR rush etc.
There is always one winner in these domain fads: Bob Parsons. Domainers = losers.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The ongoing craze for cloud domains is exactly like the 3D/holo/AR rush etc.
There is always one winner in these domain fads: Bob Parsons. Domainers = losers.

A few posts above you said:

I dunno if cloud is a fad
, but embedding whatever fashionable keyword in a domain name does not automatically make it valuable.
Real quality domains are always rare, in every and any niche.

Now we all know that the real quality domains are rare and thus always long gone in any niche and that the ones that are embedded with whatever fashionable keyword are somewhat worthless no matter what the niche.

The question is, are there some domains that fall in between that can still be registered that might be of some use and thus have some value, and if that is true, considering that you don't know if Cloud is a fad, then aren't you doing others a disservice by discouraging them to take advantage of a window of opportunity that is closing fast as we speak. Now no one is suggesting that people should register garbage, but if there is still a chance to get a few decent domains why try to stop them.

-

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cloud is not a fad. I've posted legitimate tech articles for viewing.

It is a service.

Before regging cloud domains, or condemning them, take time to give yourself a brief education on what cloud computing is and what it can do for individuals (but primarily institutions).

Those that were reading about this 4 years ago and regging were smart to do so.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

The question is, are there some domains that fall in between...
Perhaps. But going about this blindly will be costly.

Read, read, read, read and then read some more. You might get lucky.

The issue is you have to wait it out and see if someone wants the name.

Not too many people have the balls to wait it out...just like when the stock market dips - panic selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom