Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Cloud domains vs. CLD domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at cloud domains for a while. I recently came up in a Google search about the term "CLD" and found its an acronym for cloud:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CLD

So with that said does anyone think CLD will catch on? I noticed some recent cloud domain sales just this week such as
CloudServers.com - $32k
CloudApps.com - $24k
CloudClient.com - $3500
Cloud-computer.com - $1400

All these sales were this week. My thought is that CLD domains are shorter and may be worth more. I have listed below the CLD domains I bought months ago while thinking about this. Well I guess I would hope it does. I would love to make some nice sales in the cloud industry.

CLD3D.COM
CLDAPPS.COM
CLDBASED.COM
CLDBASEDCOMPUTING.COM
CLDDATA.COM
CLDHOSTING.COM
CLDSERVERS.COM
CLDSPACE.COM
CLDSTORAGE.COM

I am open to all suggestions whether positive or negative. Its obviously something I believe in but the true power would be what end users think. Did I waste my money or did I maybe break into something that hasn't been thought of yet?
Thanks for reading.
David

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What traffic have you received? What offers have been had? What sales (yours or otherwise have you seen)? There is a reason domains that are unregistered are as such especially in technology trends. My best cloud names were purchased years ago not months and from others on the forum focused on technology sales... I have not seen a single offering of cloud as cld. Drop if you can.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input James but I will have to disagree with you. As with many domainers these purchases were based on speculation as many domains are. I am mearly taking a risk and if it doesnt work out maybe I will develop. I think dropping these is out of the question for now. I think it would be a whole look easier for users to type in CLDHosting.com than cloudhosting.com. Not by much but I always believed the shorter the domain the better.
I have not seen any sales in the "CLD" world as of yet and have not had any offers. I am not sure what traffic they get because all of the names listed above point to CloudBasedLife.com. We will see as the weeks and months go on if CLD will ever catch on.
Thanks!
David

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

this post is basically trying to influence the readers that an abbreviated form of a word is easier to type in, thus it will have value.

should that be the motivation for registering, then the same theory should apply to any other abbreviation + keyword, or keyword + abbreviation.

so one could reg "sclmedia" for socialmedia, "mblmedia" for mobilemedia, mediambl, hostingcld, etc, etc

one fault in the theory is that SE's may not rank for the keyword you are abbreviating... within the same category, like if it were spelled in full.

another fault is, if you're depending on shortness as added value, then the possibility of typos increase for the abbreviation used.

ie: cld cdl vdl xdl cdk, etc etc. and that's not including possible typos for the suffix keyword or however they are positioned.

i'd rather have a 3, 4 or 5 word domain that has full spelling of all keywords

but hey, despite the issues, an idea and some money, and it can go either way

Good Luck!

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply biggedon.
I dont know if this is correct or not but dont the search engines index "ins" for insurance. There are many "ins" domains out there. I may be wrong but I have done some "car ins" searchs and car insurance sites do come up.
David

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply biggedon.
I dont know if this is correct or not but dont the search engines index "ins" for insurance. There are many "ins" domains out there. I may be wrong but I have done some "car ins" searchs and car insurance sites do come up.
David

you can "reach" for plausible examples to rationalize your expenditures, and yes, there are abb's and acc's that have niched in the mainstream.

but when you try to extend that model to fit your speculatatory ventures, then you have to consider the down sides.

if you reject them, then you are refusing to acknowledge the critics and the risks.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ Biggadon. The only risks I could see is that I wasted $80 in registration fees. In my opinion the risks here greatly out number the possible rewards. I am seeing the term "cld" being used by companies in my various searches on google and that could be a sign of what is to come in the future. As a domainer I do like to take risks with the possiblities of the future. I also have a very limited bankroll (More like pocket change) to get that great .com. I may have to wait a few years until these terms "catch on" to make it in this game. Otherwise I would be forced to by other TLD's or ccTLD's which I am currently trying to stay away from. I have learned its much easier to sell .com's opposed to a .net, .org .info. Thanks for your input!

Thanks!
David

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's see here...
You ask for advice/opinions -
I am open to all suggestions whether positive or negative. Its obviously something I believe in but the true power would be what end users think. Did I waste my money or did I maybe break into something that hasn't been thought of yet?
Thanks for reading
And when you're given the reality answers you asked for, you dig your heals in to justify your reasonings -
@ Biggadon. The only risks I could see is that I wasted $80 in registration fees. In my opinion the risks here greatly out number the possible rewards. ...
??!!? Why bother asking? :rolleyes:

Whatever. Your name(s) don't pass the radio test, and will probably never sell, but...I guess the self justification of why you regged them is what's really important to you here. GL with them, at least your registrar thanks you.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Apple's next big purchase will be iCLD.com because it's shorter then iCloud.com? There's a reason someone paid $32K for CloudServers.com and NOT handreg CLDServers.com. just my 2 cents. I wish you success moving forward.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This not so much about the names I purchased, but to find out if anyone thinks cloud will be abbreviated in the future to CLD. I had an idea and ran with it. Thank you for all of your input and knowlege. We can also have the same debate between cloud and cloud based.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tired of seeing threads like this.

so 3 people don't think your idea makes sense or is worth anything. people also thought the purchase of Alaska was a bad idea.

if you can't handle rejection or not be a follower, you'll never succeed.

i was trying to raise the down-sides of the idea that the OP may never have considered, so if others read they can know the other side of the coin, before they are tempted to follow without considering those aspects..

and i certainly agree with you, that one should be prepared to "march to their own beat", rather than dancing to the tune of the opinionated.

trust me, i know ....cause i've been beating my own drum forever :)

still, i think it's imperative that if one seeks imput, when you reply it should be what "you" think, and not what you think they wanna hear.

as i would expect no less from others, if i were the OP.

just being real...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CLD is short for cloud ? Who knew ?
Learning something new every day :)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The OP linked to TheFreeDictionary.com

Anyone can add any definition to that site. I could make up an abbreviation for any term - it's a lot like UrbanDictionary.com

In my experience writing about and working with startups, I've never come across the term CLD. Cloud is better, catchier, and accepted across the industry.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always believed the shorter the domain the better.
No. A memorable and meaningful domain is better than an artificially abbreviated version.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@sashas I don't know much about that site and I didn't know you can add your own acronyms, but CLD certainty could be used as an acronym for cloud just how INS is used for insurance. (It at least makes sense) I am just asking what do you guys think. Think it will ever catch on or maybe be used in the Cloud industry? I guess we will just have to see what the future brings.
Thanks!
Dave

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

@biggedon - Thank you for your honesty. I can say I don't make the best decisions buying domains but this is one that I believe in. Maybe I can develop all of them and make it something. lol. If in a year you start hearing CLD used for cloud than yay for me. If not I lost $80, but the $80 is worth what I have learned here! Thank you. :)

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.. but CLD certainty could be used as an acronym for cloud just how INS is used for insurance. (It at least makes sense)..
So your take is..dropping 2 letters from a one syllable word, makes the same sense/need for an acronym, as dropping 7 letters in a 3 syllable word, and will/should be a 'trend' that'll catch on. Yes those one syllable words are tough. That's on par with the 'as-if' sentiment some have that .co is better than .com because it's less letters to type. :rolleyes:

I don't see it myself, but GL with it.

ahh,..but to dream!! :asleep:

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Hawkeye - Thanks for your input. I am simply saying many domainers speculate. This is my speculation. To me just seeing CLD looks like cloud. I am just saying it is a possibility that it could catch on. I am not saying it will but well put when you said its a dream. Time will tell. I really appreciate all of the feedback in this thread. I am learning alot.
Dave

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ugg. It would make more sense regging an off-brand TLD of the real words. (FYI, unlike CLD, TLD is not TLOUD but actually TLD, a standard acronym) Guess you got your head in the clds.

FYI
CldyDay.com, RainCld.com, CldFormations.com, SaintCld.com are all available. Not sure how much longer those generics will last after the word gets out regardin the shift in meaning/spelling.

Last edited:

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ Chipmeade. Why all the anger? No one said this is what is going to be used to shorten the word cloud. It was an idea I had and I think it makes sense. Wow everyone on here needs to chill a little and not be so negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom