Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Crikey, fab have been busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best statement i have seen on this board :wink: Thats exactly the way i look at all my domains.. people sometimes ask about some of the names i buy.. but really is a name makes a PROFIT.. even 1 cent per year.. then its worth having.. it doesnt cost me anything to keep it.. this is exactly the course fab is taking.. buy 500K names.. they arent all good names.. but they all get clicks.. if you have 500K names getting a click or 2 per day.. thats a million clicks a day right there.. what a BARGAIN! to pay 3.5 million bucks for a MILLION clicks a day!!! Wouldnt you pay more than that for a million clicks a day??.. 365 million clicks per year.. What would that be worth?...

I dont know if any of you guys know who exactly "owns" DBS.. but the guy was always on the ball.. Dean knows his shit and he will have good management in place.. i can imagine the stats.

skylight said:
::my opinion:: as long as a domain earns me money, i consider that a quality domain :)

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Joe, not wishing to cut your lunch - but Fab issued a quarterly cash flow statment on 31st Jan. I thought it merited a new thread.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fabulous now owns 375,000 domain names according to a Company Update/Buy-Back report issued to the Australian Stock Exchange yesterday
For more info, search on the company code DBS at www.asx.com.au

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder if they offer shareholder discounts on registrations or a better payout.

Red Hawk

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Dan Warner COO of Fabulous.com & Dark Blue Sea Limited here.

I'm glad to see everyone interested. It would be a bit boring if we couldn't make a few waves ;-)

We released our quarterly release a couple days ago. Shares went from $0.30 to $0.40 overnight.

Yes, we own 375,000 domains. No they aren't crap. Have a look at:

http://domainsales.fabulous.com to see our domains. We own all of the ones at that web site.

The actual owner is a subsidiary company of Dark Blue Sea Limited. It isn't actually Fabulous.com

To the question of better revenue share or cheaper registration for share holders - wholesale accounts already only charge our realistic cost of buying domains, we don't make a profit as its more of a value add at $6.75, and our revenue program is currently the highest in the industry. The revenue speaks for itself. I don't really need to scream it from the roof tops if you know what I mean. Just ask anyone who works with us.

It was nice to drop by.

Cheers,

Dan Warner

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Red Hawk said:
Cheers,

Dan Warner

hey dan,

how about optimizing your own results to match the domains you own. many times i've seen your squatting domains returning totally irrelevant results? (eg. a children's typo domain returning plumbing products??)

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
hey dan,

how about optimizing your own results to match the domains you own. many times i've seen your squatting domains returning totally irrelevant results? (eg. a children's typo domain returning plumbing products??)

Good to see it's not just my names that have this quirk on their system :cheesy:

A poker name with bingo for a keyword I mean really.

Red Hawk

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
Good to see it's not just my names that have this quirk on their system :cheesy:

A poker name with bingo for a keyword I mean really.

It's hard to comment exactly but I will give it a shot. Part of the reason that some domains do not get corrected is that the advertisers often come from other xml feed partners and with that an increased error rate.

There is an even more fundamental reason. Managing 375,000 domains is REALLY HARD! To put it into context: If I assigned a staff member to do nothing but check each one of our domains to see they resolve. It would probaly still take them twenty seconds per domain including breaks, counselling to prevent suicide from boredom, and clicking off the browser. It would still take them 2,083 hours to complete the task (260 working days or around 1 year).

Now consider what it would take to manually review and change every web site to have the most appropriate associated phrases and initialized search. So now we are talking more like 5 minutes minimum per web site, or 40 man years of labor.

We get it right most of the time. When we don't that's part of doing business. We try to correct as many mistakes as possible but we are only human (most of us anyway).

The commercial reality is that if someone that sends us traffic makes less money with us than what they could with somebody else. They leave, and frankly in that case we wouldn't deserve the traffic. The reality is there is a reason we have so many loyal affiliates - when you earn more money with us its hard to walk away from it even when we make some mistakes.

Cheers,

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
edit. question answered.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Red Hawk Welcome. Good to see you here.

Can you address a few questions that a number of members here have been asking?

1. Does Fabulous run checks on the domains owned by it's customers looking at traffic stats, and use that information to make it's own reg decisions, thereby creating competition for certain keywords or keyword strings with it's own customer's domains?

2. In running those checks above, does Fabulous than reg duplicates of domains owned by it's customers in other available extensions/ For example, if the customer owns boothillsaloon.net and the .com or the .info is available, does Fabulous then reg the .com or an .info etc., thereby taking a reg away from a possible future purchase by the customer?

3. Does Fabulous run these bulk reg and delete programs to test traffic prior to incurring any actual cost in registration?

4. Is Fabulous regging thousands of .infos at no or very cheap costs for it's own accounts, using the registrar advantage combined with the new Afilias discount program?

By the way, I'm a wholesale customer of yours and was deciding whether to add several thousand more domains to your 4.0 program, based on a couple of the answers above.
Doc

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You don't expect to get straight 100% honest-to-godness answer there do you Stoc?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
You don't expect to get straight 100% honest-to-godness answer there do you Stoc?

Hope so. Why not? I haven't experienced anything but honesty from Fabulous in the past. Some things aren't that tough to monitor if needed anyway.

Maybe I should put those questions in a pm?

Red Hawk

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Red Hawk Welcome. Good to see you here.

Can you address a few questions that a number of members here have been asking?

1. Does Fabulous run checks on the domains owned by it's customers looking at traffic stats, and use that information to make it's own reg decisions, thereby creating competition for certain keywords or keyword strings with it's own customer's domains?

2. In running those checks above, does Fabulous than reg duplicates of domains owned by it's customers in other available extensions/ For example, if the customer owns boothillsaloon.net and the .com or the .info is available, does Fabulous then reg the .com or an .info etc., thereby taking a reg away from a possible future purchase by the customer?

3. Does Fabulous run these bulk reg and delete programs to test traffic prior to incurring any actual cost in registration?

4. Is Fabulous regging thousands of .infos at no or very cheap costs for it's own accounts, using the registrar advantage combined with the new Afilias discount program?

By the way, I'm a wholesale customer of yours and was deciding whether to add several thousand more domains to your 4.0 program, based on a couple of the answers above.
Doc

>>>

No, why would we? We have access to the root zone file, 4 years of extensive market intelligence, and the world's greatest research tools. We know every registration performed every day, what domina phrase the registration was created from, if the domain phrase is a bided phrase and how many people search on the domain phrase through search engines. There is no data available to us that isn't already available to everyone who has a copy of the root zone file. Another place to look is dailychanges.com.

In fact this is usually the opposite for us. We tend to be pioneers in this space and other companies deconstruct our registration techniques and try to copy them. This has led us to do most of the research and then buy everything we want over just a couple of days to prevent post analysis competition.

>>>2. In running those checks above, does Fabulous than reg duplicates of domains owned by it's customers in other available extensions/ For example, if the customer owns boothillsaloon.net and the .com or the .info is available, does Fabulous then reg the .com or an .info etc., thereby taking a reg away from a possible future purchase by the customer?

Dot Com's Rule! We register hardly any other extensions other than .com's. Our domain purchases are traffic focused. If you want to copy our domain buys by changing the extension then be my guest, but don't expect any traffic.

>>>3. Does Fabulous run these bulk reg and delete programs to test traffic prior to incurring any actual cost in registration?

We realize that other registrars do this, but we are a public company and prefer to take the higher road. Unless Verisign changes its terms and conditions on this for registrars its very unlikely we would do this unless its used as it should be. This functionality is intended to reduce credit fraud.

>>>4. Is Fabulous regging thousands of .infos at no or very cheap costs for it's own accounts, using the registrar advantage combined with the new Afilias discount program?

In my opinion most extensions other than .com domains have very little traffic and therefore very little use to us. I don't think we own a single .info. Once again .com's rule!

Always expect an honest answer from me. I don't like people who intentionally misinform the market.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor,

I also have been wondering the same exact questions.

Congratulations to Dan Warner for answering the questions.

However, they are still our competitors (directly or indirectly). :-(

If you don't want to bump heads with them, the solution is to buy
the other tlds. :-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Red Hawk said:
Always expect an honest answer from me. I don't like people who intentionally misinform the market.

Thank you for clearing up those questions/rumors. I think that should put it to bed.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the extent to which you addressed the issues. They were of the concern of a number of members here. I for one will contact your company to include another batch of several thousand names for ppc and will continue to use your registrar for a number of my transfers and renewals.
Doc

Red Hawk

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Thank you for clearing up those questions/rumors. I think that should put it to bed.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the extent to which you addressed the issues. They were of the concern of a number of members here. I for one will contact your company to include another batch of several thousand names for ppc and will continue to use your registrar for a number of my transfers and renewals.
Doc

Thanks for the support ;-)

I think several of the members might not realize that you can use our domain management facilities even if they don't have a single domain registered with us, or park any traffic with us.

We built the facility for ourselves and offer its massive functionality for free. The logic is that relationships are the most important aspect of business, not just generation revenue. Many of our wholesale account holders don't register domains with us at all, and send Domain Sponsor, Google or Overture traffic using our facility.

Another reason we do it is because we know that when people get to know and trust you that at least some of their traffic tends to be tested or utilized via our services. When they see the revenue we produce they tend to send the traffic that converts the best with us to us and move the rest of the traffic around using our free management technology to find where it earns the best.

Domain owners should always send the traffic where they can make the most money. Unless a provider can earn your traffic then they don't deserve it.

Our average net payment per impression for our network is just over 6 cents per unique visitor. No bullshit. On the domain I tend to buy we make around 10 cents per unique, but they are heavily biased towards generic commercial phrase domains like "HoustonTools.com", "ArchitectProducts.com", "AcidCollectors.com (industrial)".

If you have trademark, pseudo trademark, typo, or low quality traffic you can expect a LOT less revenue. In fact most trademark style traffic we just turn away when we find it.

>>>However, they are still our competitors (directly or indirectly).

I thought this comment was interesting. We are primarily domain's just like you. I don't know why you would see us as competition any more than you do each other. Its a huge market and we can all get a share. :eek:k:

Cheers,

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
(Edited - Did not see where he answered some of the questions above but I am not sure that I believe this 100% as I have seen plenty of add/deletions on specific keywords as Domain Active which we all know is associated with your company. Verisign apparently condones this practice according to last weeks radio show domainmasters. Can someone please publicly announce which registrars are doing this if not Fabulous?)

Fabulous DNS server are the most reliable & fastest that I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom