Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Custom articles - would you pay for and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of obtaining my masters degree and seeing that I will be amassing a small gaggle of custom written articles (essays), I got to thinking - why not convert these to cash! Problem is, what do people pay for this kind of stuff and are my subjects in demand?

I see in the advertising section that people are charging between $10 and $30 for 500 words. Seems about fair but I have never bought or sold articles in the past. I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Thanks
Roy

Domain Days 2024

flybuzz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would guess $20-$100 depending on how good the article is.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
flybuzz said:

Well I am an A student...:whistle: the articles(essays) are between 1200 and 5000 words or so. Thanks for your reply.

Any other thoughts?

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
flybuzz said:

Wish I use to get paid $100 per article

But seriously, I've charged around $25.00 per article for 100 - 300 words. Something around that

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SouthernTn said:
Wish I use to get paid $100 per article

But seriously, I've charged around $25.00 per article for 100 - 300 words. Something around that

Interesting - thank you for your reply.

Does the price stay even over a greater number of words?

Then what about topics? Does that come into consideration? For example does an article on international banking pay more than one on the study of city ditch water?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry double post.

chumba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Then what about topics? Does that come into consideration? For example does an article on international banking pay more than one on the study of city ditch water?

Depends upon how much research is needed in order to produce quality content. You get what you pay for with regards to optimized and readable content. And as a writer in another life, I would calculate that into the bid$. But if, as you state, you've already done that through your post-grad studies, why not capitalize on it? I'd do that same thing.

If you've already created original content - be it international banking and/or ditch water - in my opinion, it'd be in your best interests to hang on, develop and monetize that content yourself, as opposed to 'selling' your intellectual property to others for pennies on the dollar. But, that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck. I think you're on the right track.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you chumba - very interesting thoughts there to digest. I do manage a number of sites already, but some of what I am required to do for my studies doesn't translate into what I do online. Hence, my thinking of monetizing my unused, but already completed, work.

I can' think of a time in the future where I will be saying, "I wish I didn't sell that essay on ethical egoism!"

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would probably go in the lower price range until you get a gage of demand. With all the amatuer domainers around (like myself) there's probably a lot more demand at $10 than $100. Also consider single use rights vs. multiple use rights. Two different prices.

chumba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can' think of a time in the future where I will be saying, "I wish I didn't sell that essay on ethical egoism!"

Understood, but it doesn't mean that time would never come, either. If there's value for ethical egoism content now, who's to say what that value would be in the future. Admittedly, I'm a content-is-king believer, so take with a grain.

As Duckinla mentioned, also take into consideration single or mutliple use. And make sure you maintain your rights to that content ... which is kinda where I was going with my point about hanging onto it.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone - you've given me a lot to mull over before making any decision either way. Keeping the rights is something that I will do, and will probably keep them as single use to increase their value.

I have one last one to write for the summer semester (should be writing it now...), then it will be decision time.

I considered buying some of the those cheap $1.75 .info's, slapping some adsense on them with my content and seeing what happens. May still do that yet...

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually helped an individual with writing articles when he couldn't handle the load. The pricing was 200 words - $2.50 500 words $5.00 1,000 words $10 and the same pricing applies to anything above.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I were you I'd submit all the articles to as many free content article sites as possible.

At the end of each article you submit, you're allowed to put your name, a short bio, contact info and a WEBSITE LINK(S).

Then I would build some webpages on the theme of my articles (maybe using the same articles for content and put adsense on them).

The result is you'll have all your articles listed out there on free article content sites with LINKS BACK TO YOUR SITES. This could help increase the popularity of your websites in search engine, plus provide live links back to your sites for anyone reading the articles - who will now perceive you as an expert in the subject area.

Another benefit is that other webmasters and ezine publishers may use your articles to post on their own sites, or in ezines, and they are required to include your bio and link - so more links back to you.

Sure, you may get a few cheaters who steal your content, but the benefit is that after you submit your articles to as many sites as possible, and get your own webpages up, it will run itself forever. You may just want to change your pages once in a while. Most webmasters or ezine writers are happy to provide the link back in exchange for giving them the free content they need.

If you are going to sell the articles, you have to deal with all the fuss of taking orders, answering questions, refunds, etc. I much prefer the autopilot route myself. I would do a search on free article submission sites, like ezinearticles.com and isnare.com to start.

Also it's best to keep the articles to around 400 to 1000 words if possible, that's what most of them usually are. Perhaps break up the longer ones into a few parts, or condense them.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The result is you'll have all your articles listed out there on free article content sites with LINKS BACK TO YOUR SITES. This could help increase the popularity of your websites in search engine, plus provide live links back to your sites for anyone reading the articles - who will now perceive you as an expert in the subject area.

Also you will get personal exposure. If you are planning to continue with a career that involves writing, the exposure from these articles could be far more valuable to you than the few dollars you might get paid for them.

Would certainly have a nice impact when a perspective employer "googles" your name.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
* just some information *

Don't hire a writer who knows practically nothing about the subject and will rely on some research to make up for it.

The best articles come from people who know what they're talking about, from experience and can give you/the viewers some real insight on it.. instead of just he say/ she say stuff

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good points everyone.

Now using SouthernTN's information - one should expect to either pay more for quality, or receive more if they produce what could be deemed to be a quality piece built around intimate understanding and real research/study.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good points everyone.

Now using SouthernTN's information - one should expect to either pay more for quality, or receive more if they produce what could be deemed to be a quality piece built around intimate understanding and real research/study.

Depending on the topic and the kind of article you're looking for. :shades_smile: Could be that I write more *personal type of articles dealing with my experience*

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thoughts about selling and publishing articles. Just out of curiosity, being a student as well, doesn`t the articles written at the masters levél get published in reknown journals like Journal of market studies--a process which is quite lengthy due to peer review. If you submit your academic papers there, however, you are only contributing to science without pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom