Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Daddy doesn't Go-- forward, anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently bought three LLLLL.com domains on Ebay-- opened a GoDaddy account so they could be pushed to me about a week ago. Been working several nights, about 8-10 hours total, trying to get the first two to forward before finally giving up (one still goes to a GoDaddy page and the other to another different mysterious parking page-- not mine).

Read previous threads, esp. Kevin's (in that thread GoDaddyGuy said, "...In order for forwarding to activate, the domain name being forwarded needs to be set to our parked nameservers. This must be done prior to enabling the forwarding. If you have forwarding setup and need to change the nameservers, you should change them, disable the forwarding, then re-enable it..."). Tried all combinations-- switching the servers off and on to parked, switching the forwarding on and off, waiting a few hours then switching on or off again, etc.

Each single step with one domain takes ten to twenty minutes, since I have dialup, though even with dialup setting a domain to forward only takes a minute at any other registrar and is usually successful on the first try.

Any suggestions?

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One option is to use EVERYDNS.NET
This is a free nameserver service. Sign up with the them and add your domains to the account.

Set the DNS of your domains to:
Name Server: NS1.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server: NS2.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server: NS3.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server: NS4.EVERYDNS.NET

Then inside EVERYDNS.NET set the CNAME records to point to your web-page.
You can use the MX records to point to a mail server if you want to receive e-mail.

On the other hand if you use Godaddy forwarding, you definitely need to have the domains pointing at Godaddy's name servers.

After you change nameserver settings at the registrar it takes a few hours at least (if not 1 or 2 days) for the changes to take effect for your domain.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanx mkellerman for the suggestion. I'll consider it, esp. if I encounter a registrar that does not offer domain forwarding.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had no issues with something like this and GoDaddy.

Click the checkbox next to the domain and then click on the DNS or FORWARD button and go from there. The change takes affect in a few minutes.

Have you called GD about this?

Edit: You only need to do one of those.

DNS if it is hosted or parked off of GD
Forward if you just want to point it to another domain

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Haven't yet but probably will if after reading suggestions here the domains still don't forward. Thanx.

You dont mention if you have a hosting account at godaddy, but if you do, and you put a domain into it, then later its not going to forward - no matter what sequence you click - unless you manually update dns and put in an IP number. Very frustrating until you find this out.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting ksinclair-- I do not have a hosting account there but perhaps the previous owners of the domains did. I could try this. Do you know what IP number I should put in to use GoDaddy's forwarding? If it's any help the domains are clila.com and actun.com. A third domain, kurku.com, I was able to get to forward. But no techniques seem to work on the first two.

It might be a little while before I get back on-- my phone and internet have been down since yesterday morning (think a buried cable problem) so am using a library computer today.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To forward you pull up the domain record, click on the Total Dns and set the A record to 64.202.189.170. You have to do this manually, for any domain that is not forwarding.

I could not find this documented at godaddy. But you have an account rep who should be able to help with such things. I have found the support people to be very good at godaddy. The problem is within the godaddy website itself, the software - it seems intentionally designed so things 'default' to godaddy more than they should. So they have their parking pages come up. Good for their income, but not for good will.

Kevin

GDHosting

Go Daddy Hosting
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I took a look and it appears that the domain names are not pointing to the forwarding IP, as ksinclair mentioned. I messaged you with the instructions on how to modify your IP. Let me know if you need anything else.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Alicia and ksinclair-- was having trouble making it to the Total Dns but with the detailed directions accomplished it and both domains started forwarding immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom