Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dead domain article

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks VoxKeysGtr, reading that article has saved me thousands of dollars in renewal fees, LOL

It’s the funniest writing I’ve seen on the subject of domain names.

In fact when anyone posts a stupid name for appraisal, the best response would be to provide a link to it in the hope that they'll curb their reckless regging, LOL

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/03/deleteddomains/index.html

MBZ

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good article. Thanks.

Great article! A must-read for all domain newbies.

Although the article has a strong satiric tone, the writer genuinely wonders as to why so many odd domains were registered but never used for websites.

One word: speculators.

If the writer had spent a few moments at DNF, she would have understood what those millions of unused domains were all about.

On an added note...

Although the domain market bubble has burst--or at least settled--there is still a much larger number of domains registered than have genuine commercial utility. I have often wondered when the real bubble burst will happen, making the registration total sink to seven figures (that's my eyeball estimate of the real domain market, outside of unmarketable and un-useful domains).

You would think that with all that is now known about the marketing elements and functionalities of domain names, that people would stop registering really bad domains. Yet, looking at the sorts of domains that a number of DNF members post for appraisal, it's as if the lessons of the past two years were never learned.

I suppose it's like weight-loss gimmicks. It's been well-known for a long time that a controlled diet and regular exercise are the only way to acheive permanent weight-loss (outside of major gastro-intestinal surgery), but millions of dollars continue to be made from various pills and programs promising easy ways to lose.

And the only thing that gets lost is money.

No wonder the registrar world is always clamoring for new extensions. Hope springs eternal, and P.T. Barnum's law still rules.

Miles

[edit for typos]

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent article! I'm gonna register

ArkansasRazorbacks-Go-Hogs-Go-Razorbacks-Sooie-Hogs-Sooie-Sooie.com

and host it with cyberwings!:laugh:

Cheers,
BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators