Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Deleted domain still shows in whois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a C&D letter. I decided to just delete the domain. This was on 7 april 2004. To day I checked whois, its still in my name and resolve to the standard parkingpage of Godaddy where it was registered. Before I had it directed to Fabulous.
The name is not in my account.

The whois show this: Last Updated On:18-Apr-2004 02:30:43 UTC

The C&D-letter said that I must give an written response no later then 28 april. They didnt gave me any email-adress. I dont agree to their c&d-letter,but to save time I found it best to just delete the domain.

What shall I do?

Thanks

Edit: Tried to check whois at Godaddy, but site is now down for maintannance :)

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Update
Godaddy is up and running again
Whois at Godaddy show me as the owner.
Have sent an email to their support.

Not good that this can happens

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok got answer from Godaddy

"Thank you for contacting customer support. When a domain is canceled, it is still held in our system until the expiration date. This is why your information still appears with the domain. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

??????

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About a year ago, I registered three domains and after some advise decided to delete them 30 days later.

I contacted Enom, requesting that they delete the domains.

They immediately removed them from my account. I really don't know if my name remained
on the domains.

However, what I would suggest you do. Is create an account that has "name being deleted" as the street address. And, push the name into that acct.

This should let the C&D people know that you are responding to their request.

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I will do that next time if needed.
Problem no is that the name is not in my account, so I cant change it
I have sent a new request to Godaddy asking theme to remove my name.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I noticed in my cnobin resellers account, one of the items offered is name deletion, I wondered at the time why anyone would ever want such a thing and not just let it expire. Now I know. Has anyone ever tried the cnobin name deletion feature (it is a priced option), does it actually delete the whois record?

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just got the second answer from Godaddy
"Unfortunately, your name will not be removed until the domain name has been fully deleted from the registry. This process usually happens in 45 to 60 days after the domain name has expired."

Sent email asking if this is from the date I cancelled the domain, hopefully it is.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I got a C&D from eBay and successfully deleted a domain with Stargate.com
That was 2 years ago.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy is protecting itself...in a nutshell, they're voluntarily refusing to delete the domain prior to its expiration date - a good policy actually, due to hackers and also since some people likely do change their minds about stuff like that.

Your best option is to do what another person suggested and update the Whois information for the domain so it's registered to no one and is pointed to nothing.

Ron

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems you are right.
Third email from Godaddy:
"Thank you for contacting customer support. Your contact information will be removed from the Whois information in 45-60 days after the domain has expired, not from the date that you cancelled it. Since this domain expires in December, you will continue to see your information until 45-60 days after the expiration in December.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

Maybe this is a wordgame, the domain is now cancelled according to Goddady.
I think I will request for a delete, lets see what happens.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check VeriSign .COM / .NET registry for status:
http://www.verisign.com/nds/naming/
(be sure to check again 24 hours or later to better ensure that status shown is accurate)

If you see "Pending Delete", or at minimum "Redemption Period" (unlikely that status is used for pre-expiration deletes - but mention it anyways), then the domain is in the process of being deleted.

The statuses "Active" and "Registrar-Lock" are normal and are not indicative of any delete action.

Ron

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I forgot to mention its a .info name :blush:

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From Godaddy:
"Thank you for contacting our online customer support. Unfortunately we are
unable to delete the registry. The whois information attached to the domain will
delete automatically 45-60 days after the domain's expiration date. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may cause. There is nothing we can do. Please let us
know if we can help you in any other way."

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Update
Got these answers from Godaddy.
The name is now back in my account.

"Unfortunately, your name will not be removed until the domain name has been fully deleted from the registry. This process usually happens in 45 to 60 days after the domain name has expired.
Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

"Thank you for contacting customer support. Your contact information will be removed from the Whois information in 45-60 days after the domain has expired, not from the date that you cancelled it. Since this domain expires in December, you will continue to see your information until 45-60 days after the expiration in December."

"Thank you for contacting our online customer support. Unfortunately we are unable to delete the registry. The whois information attached to the domain will delete automatically 45-60 days after the domain's expiration date. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. There is nothing we can do. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

"To uncancel your domain name 'xxxxxxxxxx.info' you simply have to reply to this message with the last four digits of the credit card on file and we will reactivate the domain within your account. This will not cost you anything. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

"Thank you for contacting Customer Support. This domain has been reinstated in your account, and it's now in 'Active' status. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter...GoDaddy could delete it, but are choosing not too as I explained a few posts up.

Smart business move on their part - GoDaddy avoids potential liability issues, and further may even make several extra bucks hoping the person changes their mind or forgets to turn-off "auto-renew" ... you did turn that off, right? :)

Ron

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Doesn't matter...GoDaddy could delete it, but are choosing not too as I explained a few posts up.

Smart business move on their part - GoDaddy avoids potential liability issues, and further may even make several extra bucks hoping the person changes their mind or forgets to turn-off "auto-renew" ... you did turn that off, right? :)

Ron

Well, I suggested a new service for theme, be able to delete a domain :cheeky:

oh.. have to check to see if the auto-renew is off :approve:

Chosen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
What name was it to warrant such a drastic step?

Not a big thing really, but since I dont know if dnforum are still leaking to google, I decided not to post the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom