Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

delivering domain before payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a small sum to sell a domain that i bought from DNF forum member.

However, the buyer wants me to journal the domain into his name and his whois info, complete with the PW and username to my dotster account before payment!

He wanted to use escrow.com. But it seems to be for auction purchases, where you don't know what you are getting. Escrow.com has a domain transfer service, however, the buyer doesn't pay for it until the domain is in his possession.

I think this is highly unusual. In addition, the former owner and current DNF member has tried to transfer the domain back to himself (POS!) possibly after getting an offer from the new interested party.

Think i would be crazy for transferring the name before payment? I can't see a reason i would, i am not a charitable organization.

D.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Offer perhaps to put it into an eNom account and give the buyer access to access.enom.com through a domain password. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REGISTRAR LOCK ON.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wonder how many domains are stolen this way? Then when it's transfered away without payment, then that is my problem to get it back! What do they have to lose?

D.

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diogenes
I have been offered a small sum to sell a domain that i bought from DNF forum member.

However, the buyer wants me to journal the domain into his name and his whois info, complete with the PW and username to my dotster account before payment!

He wanted to use escrow.com. But it seems to be for auction purchases, where you don't know what you are getting. Escrow.com has a domain transfer service, however, the buyer doesn't pay for it until the domain is in his possession.

I think this is highly unusual. In addition, the former owner and current DNF member has tried to transfer the domain back to himself (POS!) possibly after getting an offer from the new interested party.

Think i would be crazy for transferring the name before payment? I can't see a reason i would, i am not a charitable organization.

D.

It would depend upon who the member is.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use escrow.com. Your analysis of them is wrong. The buyer does not get possession of the domain until they have already paid the money to escrow.com for the domain.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stewart Ogilby, 2gajgops. Here is the top of the email i got from NSI:

Date of Original Request:2003-03-16 13:54:59.0

We've received a request to transfer the domain name(s) listed below
to Network Solutions.

Upon completion of the transfer, the registrant for the domain name(s)
will be Stewart Ogilby.

However, we require authorization from you before we can complete the transfer.
Click on the link below to either accept or reject the Transfer your Domain to Network Solutions order. Please access the secure web page at:

xxxxxxxxx

Is that being a good DNF neighbor to sell me a domain, then try and (hijack?) transfer it back to their own name?

He originally approached me after i requested a domain name with popularity. There were over 100+ links to the site when i bought it. Shortly after purchase, most of the links were removed which is very suspicious.

Anyone else had problems with Stewart Ogilby / 2gajgops ?

D.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sell the domain name using PayPal.com. Your buyer can buy purchase a fraud guarantee for cheap...

Never give the domain name before the payment is received...

NEVER

quack

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
diogenes, use Escrow.com. As it has been said before, you are clearly misunderstanding how escrow works.

M

mole

He originally approached me after i requested a domain name with popularity. There were over 100+ links to the site when i bought it. Shortly after purchase, most of the links were removed which is very suspicious.

How were they removed? :confused:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The commonly accepted procedure between resellers here is payment before transfer. Any deviation from this might mean either a) the buyer does not trust you or b) there might be something wrong.

If it is just a small amount, insist on the norm. If it is something BIG, use escrow.com. This is also the reason why I post a sold list on my site so potential buyers can verify or at least feel comfortable paying you in advance.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the sites they were linked to removed them, it was almost automatic.

D.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree. Don't transfer until you have payment. If they want security use escrow.com. It protects both parties.

I have offered use of a domain before transfer by changing the DNS, but never the actual ownership.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks all, and now the guys wants my social security # for income taxes!!! All over several hundred $.!!! Are your buyers such royal pain in the asses too?

D.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks all, and now the guys wants my social security # for income taxes!!! All over several hundred $.!!! Are your buyers such royal pain in the asses too?

D.

Sounds like a scam. Why would he need it? You claim your own income, he is not your employer.

I hope you didn't give it to him. Sounds like a credit card scam.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES give this guy your ss#. I am assuming that information was not part of the deal. The deal was that he pays you, you hand over the domain. Period. Accept nothing less.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks, I agree, i found out that this company used to be the old host for the domain. I think the customer wants his old domain back.

But the same time they appraoched me about buying it, a "Steart Ogilby" tried 3 times to transfer the domain from NSI. Then as i said, they wanted me to transfer them the domain before payment, then they sent me an escrow.com request without sending escrow.com the funds first. A person from escrow.com said they should have never initiated a transfer without the money in the account first. Every one of their proposals has been fishy....

D.

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Insist on an escrow agent or *guaranteed* payment up front - just getting paid up front is not as secure as you think. Credit cards and checks can be reversed after the transaction. Domain names are considered an intangibles by Paypal, so you they'll just pass the reversal charges back to you without a dispute process.

Guaranteed payment methods are wire transfers, money orders, and cashier checks. That's it.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

D.

Next he may ask for your mother,s maiden name or your date of birth. Stay away from him. He is surely upto something illegal. Get your money through paypal.com and after that transfer name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom